Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alaskan Malamute Not Eating

• 19-01-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    I own an alaskan Malamute pup. He is about 4months old now. A few weeks ago he swallowed a teddys ear (after riping it apart) and had to get an operation to remove it as he could'ne eat,drink, go toilet etc...

Anyway my concern is now for the last week he is'nt eating any of his normal nuts. He only eats a timy bit of meat or bread out of my hand and barely drinks any water. He is not his usual lively self and just lies there most of the day. He is not deteriorating but doesnt seem to be getting better and still eats and drinks hardly anything. Now im thinking has he swallowed something thats partly blocking him...

Was just wondering has anyone any ideas of what else might be wrong with him...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Do check that he has normal stools, that he is having them at regular times and they have no blood in them, Some Malamutes wolf down their food which can case air to become trapped in their stomachs, it can also lead to the dog not wanting to eat. Did you notice any thing different about your pup? does he have an enlarged belly the appears wider than his hips when viewed from above?

A vet is always a good port of call when unsure, just watch out for what I mentioned as it can lead to bloat, especially in large breeds like the Malamute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Take him back to the vets, they may have to xray him again to see if they missed something when they operated, but a pup needs food and definitely water.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bobsxx

Do check that he has normal stools, that he is having them at regular times and they have no blood in them, Some Malamutes wolf down their food which can case air to become trapped in their stomachs, it can also lead to the dog not wanting to eat. Did you notice any thing different about your pup? does he have an enlarged belly the appears wider than his hips when viewed from above?

A vet is always a good port of call when unsure, just watch out for what I mentioned as it can lead to bloat, especially in large breeds like the Malamute.

no he hasnt put up pr lost any weight and doesnt seem to have a larger belly than usual! If he is bloated is there anyway to stop that or fix it without going vet...they are soooo expensive :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This could be very serious so you need to get your dog to the vet. If theres an obstruction there it could be very harmful to your dog.

Have you not got your dog insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bobsxx

Hes alot better today and is passing stools i saw him a few times so it just seems to be the not eating/drinking much (he is eating and drinking a bit) and not as lively problem...ya i have insurance but only got it just over a week ago so cant claim for another few days...if hes not better il bring him then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Your dog's wellbeing > money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Go to the Vet tomorrow without fail. If you can't afford it now have a chat when you get there & the Vet will probably sort something out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Deffo take him to the vet OP - the visit will probably end up less than your excess so you may not gain anything by waiting for the insurance to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭waxer1986

took him to the vet small infection in his stomac..
    she gave him two injections and some tablets for the next
    week ..nothing serious she said thank god:)...thanks all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah i'm glad he's ok!! Sometimes taking them to the vets helps you more than them lol for the peace of mind!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement