Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor 10gbs per month €14.99:worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's an add-on to the bill pay plans, you can add/remove it every month if you please

If you're using or plan to use huge amounts of data, yes it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Im prepay.does this mean this is not available for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

mkdon wrote: »

Unfortunately not. You've got the option of the free 250mb data bundle with a €20 top up or the usual 69c per day for 50mb. . .

. . .or of course, move to bill pay - good deal on bill pay lite at the moment, you can add the data bundle to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mkdon wrote: »
    Yeah, meteor only have bill pay add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes. It's called Billpay Mobile Internet. This
    The best that might be available to you on Prepay is 7.5GB for 19.99, which is aimed at modems. I'm not sure how you go about adding that to your normal phone.

If you don't use a lot of data, it might be worth signing up to "Free Internet and Meteor Texts" by texting 'Browse and text' to 50104. That's 250MB a MONTH.
    If you do use a lot of data, it's worth signing up to Billpay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I have the opposite problem!

I switched to Meteor billpay after always being on prepay. I now get 200 mins calls, 200 texts and 250MB per month for €25.

But I never use that much. This month for example, I used 28 mins calls, 38 texts, and 0MB. But because I send MMS, and I also text to UK, I got billed €28.51.

Is there any way out of this deal as I feel I'm being ripped off? :confused: I used to pay the same amount on prepay, but I called and texted UK a lot more. Now, I'm not in touch with friends so much, but I'm also not using my quota.

I spoke to Meteor about it, and they said I was on the cheapest deal and rather than using MMS from now on, to send picture mesages via email. But that's awkward and not all my friends have smartphones.

They don't do any package that includes non-national calls. I'm prepared to buy the phone outright if I can go back to prepay, but I'm afraid there will be a charge for opting out of billpay before the 18 month contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

cardol wrote: »
    Is there any way out of this deal as I feel I'm being ripped off? :confused:
    I'm not sure if "ripped off" could be suggested here. The information on what is/isn't included is clearly provided and while it might not have been the best package/deal for your usage pattern, it is providing you with exactly what it is supposed to.

For the international calls, you could look at using something like VoipGain. It's really a VoIP system, but they also provide a local access number to provide cheap calls from Irish landlines/mobiles to the UK (and many other countries).

With this, you could set up your phone to use VoipGain directly (using a wifi/3G connection and something like Fring/sipdroid) at a very low cost (e.g. 4c setup and 4c p/min for UK mobiles) or use the local access number (in a case where you've no wifi/poor 3G signal) where the access number comes out of your 200 mins and then the normal VoipGain costs come out of your VG account.

I'm not a big user of MMS messages or even international texts, but well worth looking around to see what other options are available. With a healthy data package (I assume you're on 1gb/month rather than 250mb?) you should be able to shift much of the cost away from your mobile provider and find a cheaper/free online alternative.

I did hear about something like that (Telesavers) which is a reduced rate sevice to landlines abroad, but didn't know of anything similiar for moblies. The reason I feel "ripped off" is because I never really paid much attention to exactly how many calls and texts I atually made to UK, but I did mention I rearely called national numbers. 200 texts and 200 minutes meant nothing to me as I just kept my phone topped up whenever it got below €5. And yes, I do have 250MB per month, which I never use as I am always within wireless range.:eek:

I'll look into this VoipGain, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's worth it because the only other option is 250mb for €5. There's no way you'd get through 10gb a month purely on your phone though, maybe if you were also using it as your home broadband (I plan on doing this if I ever have to move somewhere without internet) but not just for mobile browsing.

250 too little, 10gb too much. I have rarely gone above 1gb use in a month and I'd download 4-5 podcasts per week. If meteor offered 1gb or 2gb add on I'd definitely go for it but obviously they don't as they want you to pay €15 for something you won't use all of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Dreams for the day pre pay 1-2gb data add ons will be put in place. This 50 Mb per day and 250 per month is a joke. A HD game for the phone is over 300mb. Can't go on YouTube or anything. I'd be happy enough with 1gb and comfortable with 2gb. Not going back to bill pay either. It offers less value for me than pre pay.

Anyway /rant end ;)

• Advertisement

I go on YouTube and The Onion all the time and watch movies and clips and still don't make a dent in my 250MB allowance....... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Idk i remember i had a two hour bus trip home and while i was checking my twitter i came across a few videos i liked. So after about 1 hour i got a noticed that all my credit was gone and i need to top up to be able to go on data.

So approx 3-5 10 min videos on youtube. Some web browsing and the 50 was gone. I dont find this justifiable at this day and age of the smartphone.

10 years ago this would have been acceptable. Now?

Advertisement