Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revamp for King John's castle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sioda wrote: »
    Amazo you cant put a door into a 800 year old protected structure. :P

Fairly sure that side of the castle has doors/exits already?

One way to do it would be to increase the enclosed space given over to the castle and charge people for access into the entire complex, can't see that going well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone think the tavern could have been a replacement for Bakers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone think the tavern could have been a replacement for Bakers?

With due respect to the decent people living on the Island field, no. Until we sort out the Island field, King's Island will always be short of what it could and should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Fairly sure that side of the castle has doors/exits already?

One way to do it would be to increase the enclosed space given over to the castle and charge people for access into the entire complex, can't see that going well though.

Castle lane side has none plus skywalk way cooler :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Could people please refrain from calling it 'King Johns' castle also?? It had nothing to do with any King and was always referred to as Limerick Castle throughout history.. This whole King Johns malarky seems to be a recent phenomenon and is totally inaccurate and serves no purpose as far as I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm happy as long as nobody calls it SAINT John's Castle! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Well it is King Johns castle as it was built by his order along with two others outside of dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Vanolder wrote: »
    Could people please refrain from calling it 'King Johns' castle also?? It had nothing to do with any King and was always referred to as Limerick Castle throughout history.. This whole King Johns malarky seems to be a recent phenomenon and is totally inaccurate and serves no purpose as far as I can see.

I've never seen it referred to as Limerick Castle.

Should we also revert to using George's Street for O'Connell St and Wellesley Bridge instead of Sarsfield St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Vanolder wrote: »

Source? I have never heard it called limerick castle.

Can we refrain from calling limerick, limerick please. Instead let us call it by it original name of Regia.

Apologies from dragging up an old thread, but after I visited KJC the other day, I would like to point out that re-development seriously needs to happen. Just as well it was 9 euro to get in.

Pro's: Great views of the city and surrounding area's. Good history about the city and the castle
    didnt know there were houses built inside the castle walls until I saw pics of them on the tour.

Con's: Seriously outdated. Its run down and it should be cleaned up (lots of rubbish about the place). Basically it needs a big revamp. There should also be a tour guide(s). They could do a better job with the space they have (been to newgrange/bunratty, they could take a lot of ideas from there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

phog wrote: »
    Should we also revert to using George's Street for O'Connell St and Wellesley Bridge instead of Sarsfield St.
    Yes, and Costellos should be referred to as 'The John' from here on in.

Interesting thing is that
    king john never actually visited the castle, so it should just be called Limerick Castle :D
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Apologies from dragging up an old thread, but after I visited KJC the other day, I would like to point out that re-development seriously needs to happen. Just as well it was 9 euro to get in.

Pro's: Great views of the city and surrounding area's. Good history about the city and the castle
    didnt know there were houses built inside the castle walls until I saw pics of them on the tour.

Con's: Seriously outdated. Its run down and it should be cleaned up (lots of rubbish about the place). Basically it needs a big revamp. There should also be a tour guide(s). They could do a better job with the space they have (been to newgrange/bunratty, they could take a lot of ideas from there)

Hmmmm you were in the Castle the other day!
    If you are who I suspect you to be I may have commented on your FB afterwards!!!;):D:P

Was in there on Tuesday but I dont remember posting it up on FB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was in there on Tuesday but I dont remember posting it up on FB

My mistake then :(
    For a second there I thought I may know the man behind the nickname ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Interesting thing is that king john never actually visited the castle, so it should just be called Limerick Castle :D:D

Nothing to do with him visiting it, It was built by his order, in or around 1200AD if I remember the project I did on it in 4th year. Hence why the name used is "King John's Castle"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't know if it's a coincidence or if Mc Love had seen it before posting, but this week's Chronicle has the renovations at the castle as its front-page story.
    Anne Sheridan
    The €5.7m plans for the redevelopment of Limerick's historic King John's Castle have been approved by the Limerick City Council, in spite of deep reservations and concerns by councillors.

The plans, which have been heralded as among "the most important to come before City Hall in many years", aim to double tourist numbers to the city's medieval quarter to 80,000.

Works are likely to start this autumn, and are expected to be completed in mid-2012 to celebrate the castle's 800th anniversary.

Then 7 paragraphs of quotes, etc.

There's hope for the place yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Keep reading about their ideas but has anyone seen any pictures or facts about what the money is going on its very wishy washy

kilburn wrote: »
    Keep reading about their ideas but has anyone seen any pictures or facts about what the money is going on its very wishy washy

Shannon Development are said to have designed plans, but I haven't seen them. Might check the website later. I'd hope that a copy of the finalised plans will be displayed at the Castle. Recent developments I've seen locally (Ardscoil Rís, JFK, Mary I, even the local GAA club) have all displayed mock-ups.

Just coincidence IO :D seriously though, they must have eyes on this board. Its also in the Post and said that work will commence in August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Just found this in my e-mails:
    http://www.pigsback.com/Pages/3/587/3235.aspx?pbq=6617%2C6617%2CVOVE&utm_source=MegaDealAlert&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=TheMegaDeal

Sounds like a good deal since the usual price is €9 for adults and a family ticket is €20.

(would give those who dislike the glass building a chance to see why it cant be replaced with a normal building or a wall)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shauna75

Any plans around for the revamp of the castle? I cant seem to find anything online - which worries me as the work has started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Says here will be ready spring 2013...thats now though!

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Attractions/KingJohnsCastle/KingJohnsCastleOpeningTimes/

Limerick needs so much to be done to get it tourist friendly, this being renovated to a high standard and on time is important for the city so it is vital the revamp is completed soon and not some "ah shure it ll be grand" type attitude that you often get.

To get to the castle by foot(as a lot of tourists will be) is a trek from the city centre, surely some sort of better connection to the main central area could be organised? The best places to visit always are easy to get to and the tourist attractions are close together. Surely a bridge could be planned or at least better signposting would be a start. Even a regular small boat trip for tourists from arthurs quay to the castle by the shannon would be exciting for tourists?

The architecture students ideas to revamp all of the city are great ideas, the various limerick committees need to start listening to the clever students as as it stands going to visit limerick is like going back to dublin in the early 1990s (before the commitments made dublin cool), the shops and city centre in limerick seems to be 20years behind Dublin. Its like LA or a similar spread out american city when you have to drive to the shops on the outskirts that have more going on than the shops in the city centre. Limerick needs to find a buzz and come to life, it always feels a bit sleepy.If ul was closer to town or had regular buses (or a tram!)students would help create this buzz.

The architecture students ideas to renovate the georgian buildings and make the riverside fashionable which help renovate and rejuvenate the city are excellent ideas, they should be hired immediately before the city falls further behind.As it stands the university and the crowds thomand park brings are all a lot of people from other places see that is good in the city.The sooner the castle is renovated and opened to the public and giving tourists something to see, the sooner there will be one more positive thing going for limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shauna75

Hi Varberg, do you have links to these student ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Problem is who is going to pay to renovate these buildings as they are in private ownership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Overheard on the bus
    King John's Castle is pure rapid man but d'you know why they built it in such a sh*thole part of the city?

I swear to God I heard someone say this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Overheard on the bus

I swear to God I heard someone say this.

Those pesky Cork folk are always about the place. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

shauna75 wrote: »
    Any plans around for the revamp of the castle? I cant seem to find anything online - which worries me as the work has started

Shauna,

Been on the lookout myself since this was announced and to the best of my knowledge, there hasnt been public consultation and the like.

This is the best that I could find, courtesy of the Limerick City Council website - these are scans and copies of newspaper articles describing some of the redevelopment plans:

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/king%20js%20castle%2073.pdf

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/king075.pdf

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/king%20j%27s%20castle%20069.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

keep an eye on their facebook..putting up some pictures as they go along of whats happening.

https://www.facebook.com/KingJohnsCastle

Advertisement