Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revamp for King John's castle

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The castle is reopening friday. The link is below. Looks like they excavated the courtyard.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment-arts/limerick-s-king-john-s-castle-set-to-re-open-1-5223543

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup they have added a walk way down into it and the highest towers are now accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I assume they knocked the eyesore of an entrance building.

The correct official entrance should be through the front doors, so cars passing on the main road will see it is open and maybe stop and go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I assume they knocked the eyesore of an entrance building.

The correct official entrance should be through the front doors, so cars passing on the main road will see it is open and maybe stop and go in.

The 1990s entrance is still there. It's an exit now

Edit: Entrance is now via the old Museum building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Sweet. Looking forward to checking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just saw it on the news, there were 2 young kids crawling through a tunnel and I had a funny image of a very fat kid getting stuck in it or refused entry to it. I know that's terrible but I wouldn't be surprised to read an article in the Limerick leader in the not to distant future with a parent complaining that the tunnel isn't big enough for and is therfore discrimantory to their fat kid:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Limerick Life Facebook page shared this image yesterday, an artist's impression of the castle 170 odd years ago.

18781_480861845288330_1940480486_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I just saw it on the news, there were 2 young kids crawling through a tunnel and I had a funny image of a very fat kid getting stuck in it or refused entry to it. I know that's terrible but I wouldn't be surprised to read an article in the Limerick leader in the not to distant future with a parent complaining that the tunnel isn't big enough for and is therfore discrimantory to their fat kid:D

Like the time the child got lodged in the tunnel of goats, and then the nurse that came to rescue him also got stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Like the time the child got lodged in the tunnel of goats, and then the nurse that came to rescue him also got stuck.

what's the tunnel of goats?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

juneg wrote: »
    what's the tunnel of goats?

Pretty sure that's a Father Ted joke. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone been yet, might hit over the weekend, apparently they had 1000 visitors on the first day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup did the visit on Sunday have to say highly impressed good interactively and tech. Good range of history including said civil war news reel. For 9 quid well worth it. Nice to see all the castle Lane being used as well

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

sioda wrote: »
    Yup did the visit on Sunday have to say highly impressed good interactively and tech. Good range of history including said civil war news reel. For 9 quid well worth it. Nice to see all the castle Lane being used as well

Delighted with this. The place was an embarrassment for years. I saw on the RTE news piece that the team behind the Titanic Exhibition were also responsible for this too. Now if we can just get the entrance to the castle to run down along the river and tie in St Marys & The Hunt, we'll have a nice attraction for tourists without having to send the poor bastards wandering around The Island

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

.......I saw on the RTE news piece that .......

The RTE News piece:

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0628/3555089-king-johns-castle-reopens-in-limerick/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Got the shift and a cheeky handjob down the side of the castle back in the day.

I welcome this new development heartily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Passed this a few days ago and it looks like a vast improvement from the outside. Anyone know if the cafe is open to the public (rather than just paying castle visitors)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

letsdothis wrote: »
    Passed this a few days ago and it looks like a vast improvement from the outside. Anyone know if the cafe is open to the public (rather than just paying castle visitors)?

It's just for the visitors by the looks of it.

Seems like a bad idea to exclude the public but maybe they realise they'd prob not get much passing trade anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

It's just for the visitors by the looks of it.

Seems like a bad idea to exclude the public but maybe they realise they'd prob not get much passing trade anyway.

Bit of a pity really and considering the size of the place they need public support to make it viable.

Not too sure about no passing trade either, Captain Jacks is literally a bridge away and is always packed...nothing to say people wouldn't cross the bridge if the place was decent enough!

Advertisement