Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm highly aware that this might hit a nerve...if it can find one. But why the **** aren't we allowed ridicule fat people?

I write this after hearing a funny clip on Loose Women where they were 'congratulating' some bird on getting a gastric bypass. Well done...you paid money to pretend you hadn't eaten. But whatever. The host turns around and says, "Well can I get a round of applause for never getting fat in the first place?"

I'm a smoker (and no bodybuilder myself either for the record...I'd be open to the odd slagging no doubt) and every day I hear "You're doing it to yourself", "You're going to die young" and so on.

But say that to a fat person and, woah betide, **** hits the fan.

If anything we should be jealous of them. I love Domino's. I wish I had eaten as much of it in my lifetime as they have.

Just a thought.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I was expecting wittier replies than that. C+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

It's glandular they say as they waddle to the fridge for more sausage rolls and beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Because teh have feelings too......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mind44

Cause they're all allergic to da fruit and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Are you that desperate to find some group in society that you can despise or deride?

How insecure and fúcked up are you?

Just because it is a popular notion to despise overweight people, and somehow 'justify' this nastiness by saying its their own fault, the truth is its not as black and white as that.

The fact that you have a problem with this shows what a desperate character you must have scrabbling for a hate group, to feel better about your pathetic existence.

What is your daily diet like OP?

How much drink to you honestly have each week?

I am slim, by sheer luck, not through effort, discipline, good diet and excercise. I know many others who struggle with being overweight and they are very careful with their diet and excercise regularly.

I am sick and tired of seeing overweight people being abused by people, because somehow its considered acceptable.

How much excercise do you take?

Why haven't you given up cigarettes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

i totally agree with the OP

Darlughda wrote: »
    Are you that desperate to find some group in society that you can despise or deride?

Just because it is a popular notion to despise overweight people, and somehow 'justify' this nastiness by saying its their own fault, the truth is its not as black and white as that.

The fact that you have a problem with this shows what a desperate character you must have scrabbling for a hate group, to feel better about your pathetic existence.

I am slim, by sheer luck, not through effort, discipline, good diet and excercise. I know many others who struggle with being overweight and they are very careful with their diet and excercise regularly.

I am sick and tired of seeing overweight people being abused by people, because somehow its considered acceptable.

Because cigarettes make me cool. Eh...duh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

leggo wrote: »
    I'm highly aware that this might hit a nerve...if it can find one. But why the **** aren't we allowed ridicule fat people?

I write this after hearing a funny clip on Loose Women where they were 'congratulating' some bird on getting a gastric bypass. Well done...you paid money to pretend you hadn't eaten. But whatever. The host turns around and says, "Well can I get a round of applause for never getting fat in the first place?"

I'm a smoker (and no bodybuilder myself either for the record...I'd be open to the odd slagging no doubt) and every day I hear "You're doing it to yourself", "You're going to die young" and so on.

If anything we should be jealous of them. I love Domino's. I wish I had eaten as much of it in my lifetime as they have.

Just a thought.
    It's a bit different than smoking though isn't it.
    Everybody eats. People might be fat as babies and be that way their entire life. If you're brought up eating far too much and your fat your not going to see a problem. Sure you might realise you're fat but not care enough too change.
    To be perfectly honest I don't think the majority of people really don't know what a healthy diet consists of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Because it's recognised that poor body image is associated with the development of all sorts of problems including eating disorders which can be fatal.

Also it's not all that funny or clever for the most part. It's a pretty obvious and dull place to go when slagging someone off.

ALSO more people are fat than ever before so when you're slagging off someones weight chances are you're inadvertantly also slagging off the body shape of the person you're slagging them off too... or that of their family, bf/gf whoever. Someone close enough that you might cause offence anyway.

If you're hard enough up for material that you need to go with making jokes about someones weight you want to watch out... because stupid people are still fair game for slagging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm lucky enough not to be over weight also.
    I don't ever find the need to slag over weight people though.

As stated above, it can be a sickness, would you slag someone with say Downs Syndrome, or some one in a wheel chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

But why the **** aren't we allowed ridicule fat people?

We're not? When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

It's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Just a thought.

Let the hate go. Its not your fault. hey hey..its not your fault. Its not your fault...its not your fault /cyber hug, bubble of snot emerges from OP's snout due to hysterical crying - pushes op away on hearing mucous discharge...

Thats enough. Stop your blubbering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

No one is stopping you op, knock yourself out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

No no no no no, CIGARS make people cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Because if they hear you doing so they'll sit on you and crush you to death, then bbq your skinny little smoked carcass!

No no no no no, CIGARS make people cool :cool:

I'm cool but I'm not THAT cool.

Maybe that's why all of this hate is bubbling inside of me actually. And I want to take it out on the fat guys who get all the chicks...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Darlughda wrote: »

If ever a post deserved thanks, for truly exposing and ascertaining the real intentions behind the OP's statements - this is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Because it's hurtful and insensitive?

That was insensitive too.

Smokers are addicted to nicotine, not all overweight people are addicted to food.
    Some hormone problems may cause overweight and obesity, such as underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).

Underactive thyroid is a condition in which the thyroid gland doesn't make enough thyroid hormone. Lack of thyroid hormone will slow down your metabolism and cause weight gain. You'll also feel tired and weak.

How can you tell the overeater apart from the person suffering from an underactive thyroid glan?

You can't, which is why you shouldn't cast aspersions on them.

Just a thought.

Shame on you OP!

I don't buy this glandular thing for one second. If the obesity stats are sky rocketing, that's because of overeating, not because of some genetic defect that has crept into our population.
    And why is it only rich countries that have this glandular thing anyway? Been in asia four months now and have only seen a handful of fat people.. Are they just lucky to not have this glandular defect in their race or is it because they don't eat bad food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

I don't buy this glandular thing for one second. If the obesity stats are sky rocketing, that's because of overeating, not because of some genetic defect that has crept into our population.
    And why is it only rich countries that have this glandular thing anyway? Been in asia four months now and have only seen a handful of fat people.. Are they just lucky to not have this glandular defect in their race or is it because they don't eat bad food?

Even if it's not glandular, (which I agree with you on) what difference does it make to you if some random person walking down the street eats more food than you, or is unhealthy? How are they negatively impacting on your life in any way? The only people bothered by fat people are those with not much going on in their own lives by the sound of it. The only person's health I care about is myself and perhaps some close family , as far as I'm concerned the rest of the world can spend money on and eat whatever they choose. Means nothing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

everyone turns into a pieabetic eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yes you are right.

It's not entirely people's fault their fat, it's more society's fault.
    Far too much food like processed meals/buscuits/cakes/take aways/fizzy drinks are too readily available in the Western world. This stuff is fat more addictive and sweeter than real, natural food. Little to no preperation time is needed for this stuff too, which is also key. It's this ****e food which causes the glandular thing in the first place, combined with the increasing levels of stress throughout the Western world.

Until society changes and there will always be fat people.
    Sad really.

It's not entirely people's fault their fat, it's more society's fault.

Rubbish. Society is blamed for everything these days. There is such a thing as personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Society is now becoming terminally hypersensitive due to political correctness. This has obvious negative impacts on both our ability not to delude ourselves and on our ability to tell the truth.
    Personally,I think the only people who ought to be exempt from criticism are those incapable of making changes to their situations. Children, for example, or those with incurable illnesses or who are mentally deficient.
    Everyone else should just man the fcuk up.
    Morbidly obese? You're fat, not 'big-boned'. Stop eating so much and go exercise more. Quit telling you and me lies that 'it's glandular' or 'it's genetic'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sergeant wrote: »
    Rubbish. Society is blamed for everything these days. There is such a thing as personal responsibility.

Explain why far more people are fat now compared to 50 years ago then.

Explain why far more people are fat now compared to 50 years ago then.

Yes, there is more fatty and processed food than there used to be. But no one is under any obligation to eat it. Just because biscuits, soft drinks, fast food are readily available doesn't mean anyone is being forced to indulge in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It comes down to laziness to eat healthy, exercise and more available fatty foods than ever.

Its personal imo. If it were societies fault we would all be fat.

Self-fucking-control.

Advertisement