Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

LOL at the thread title actually, I think fat people are the biggest (pardon pun) targets for personal abuse, slagging, judgement and bullying than any other group out there. Just because it takes more of an indirect form than approaching someone and yelling it in their face - infinite vicious threads on an online forum for example, relentless slagging behind someone's back - doesn't mean it's any less abusive.

It's one of the most common themes around here, 'fat birds' being a popular target, and I find it sort of hard to understand how a complete stranger's weight can be so offensive to the general population. So you don't like fat birds? Don't score them so, stick with skinny women and turn a blind eye to them when you're out just as you would any other woman you're not attracted to if you're looking to pull. So you think being fat is disgusting? Well keep an eye on your own health so and make sure you don't gain any extra pounds or suffer an unfortunate fate that leads to weight gain, and leave the fat people to do their own thing, they have freedom of choice just as you do and don't have to answer to anybody.

I just find the whole approach so vindictive and I say that as a slim woman who works hard to stay that way. I couldn't give a crap about random strangers' weights, and would only worry about the health of those close to me who are overweight, there are obviously legitimate concerns there. Some of the most intelligent, compassionate and well-achieved people I know are overweight, it doesn't make them any less fantastic in my eyes but I worry because I want them to be in my life for years to come, I want them to be healthy and happy and it's upsetting to see how life-long weight issues can hamper someone I love and respect like that.

But it's rarely that those types of concerns surface around here, fat people are just fat - and that makes them lazy/disgusting/selfish/greedy/stupid/ignorant/downright repulsive human beings unworthy of compassion or respect until they quit 'eating all the pies'.:rolleyes:

It's a sad and ignorant attitude and very telling of a person's character if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

beks101 wrote: »
    LOL at the thread title actually, I think fat people are the biggest (pardon pun) targets for personal abuse, slagging, judgement and bullying than any other group out there. Just because it takes more of an indirect form than approaching someone and yelling it in their face - infinite vicious threads on an online forum for example, relentless slagging behind someone's back - doesn't mean it's any less abusive.

It's one of the most common themes around here, 'fat birds' being a popular target, and I find it sort of hard to understand how a complete stranger's weight can be so offensive to the general population. So you don't like fat birds? Don't score them so, stick with skinny women and turn a blind eye to them when you're out just as you would any other woman you're not attracted to if you're looking to pull. So you think being fat is disgusting? Well keep an eye on your own health so and make sure you don't gain any extra pounds or suffer an unfortunate fate that leads to weight gain, and leave the fat people to do their own thing, they have freedom of choice just as you do and don't have to answer to anybody.

I just find the whole approach so vindictive and I say that as a slim woman who works hard to stay that way. I couldn't give a crap about random strangers' weights, and would only worry about the health of those close to me who are overweight, there are obviously legitimate concerns there. Some of the most intelligent, compassionate and well-achieved people I know are overweight, it doesn't make them any less fantastic in my eyes but I worry because I want them to be in my life for years to come, I want them to be healthy and happy and it's upsetting to see how life-long weight issues can hamper someone I love and respect like that.

But it's rarely that those types of concerns surface around here, fat people are just fat - and that makes them lazy/disgusting/selfish/greedy/stupid/ignorant/downright repulsive human beings unworthy of compassion or respect until they quit 'eating all the pies'.:rolleyes:

It's a sad and ignorant attitude and very telling of a person's character if you ask me.

Lucky you're a fat bird so and I don't wanna get stuck in.

MESSING. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

My choice of thread title is a bit jarring alright, but hey it's AH, nature of the beast. The actual discussion, of a serious nature, is about why we choose to openly ridicule one kind of people who choose to harm their own lifestyle and tip-toe around another.

Personally, though I don't think anyone should be maliciously mocked for their choice of lifestyle, a bit of slagging IS healthy as nothing gets the finger out for people quicker than a bit of social pressure.

The cross-section who are actual exceptions to the rule are so minimal the point is almost moot. It's like someone giving out about people scrounging off welfare then someone offering the counterpoint that some are physically incapable of working. Well duh, but it goes without saying that they aren't the people being discussed.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People don't slag fatties because the Mudder is often one?Is that why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just reading this thread with interest. I have had an up down relationship with my weight. I was a heavy child when born 10lbs 10 ounzes and was I think because of this a fat kid. It was only when my manager at Gaa when I was about 15 mentioned that i would need to lose weight that i decided to do something about it and started to eat healthier and exercise more. In my early 20s I became obsessed with exercise and competed in Marathons, running competitions and traithlons. I became ultra competitive and to achieve this I felt I needed to weigh as less as possible. I went as low as 9.5 stone in weight and at 6ft I looked like someone from a concentration camp. Currently I am still battling with my weight in terms of trying to gain it and get to a healthy weight for my height. Its working so far. But I just wanted to say that I feel its not right to slag off people over the weight when no one knows another persons background and history. Depression also is a factor in people gaining weight and looking fat etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

leggo wrote: »
    Lucky you're a fat bird so and I don't wanna get stuck in.

LOL at this too, not predictable at all. Easy way to shoot down any argument, of course no-one can have any compassion for someone who's overweight without being a fellow fattie. :rolleyes: Far from it buddy.

And my point was that people DON'T 'tip-toe' around this issue, what's discrete or subtle about shooting down fat people and tarring them all with the same brush as is regularly done around here? Discounting or belittling a woman by calling her a 'fat b1tch', be it to her face or not? This happened to a good friend of mine outside a bar last week because she wouldn't give some pr1ck a fag, I'm in Toronto and incidentally it was an Irish guy. One in a series or subtle or not-so-subtle forms of abuse she has to put up with regularly, completely unprovoked, and she's no beach-whale either, about 2 stone overweight.

Aside from the many reasons it's wrong, the 'fat card' is just one of the most unimaginative and unintelligent forms of insults out there - and most people who use it do so because they know it's a sensitive issue for most people and will cut to the core. Nasty nasty stuff, weak, easy and very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 evo20

I slag fat friends but i love them too.
    They are cuddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont mind fat people, sure arent we all gods children in the dark?

beks101 wrote: »
    LOL at this too, not predictable at all. Easy way to shoot down any argument, of course no-one can have any compassion for someone who's overweight without being a fellow fattie. :rolleyes: Far from it buddy.

Did you like...make it as far as the next line were I said the word 'messing'. It was the very next word, in fact. :rolleyes:

Look, I can see your point. And I agree to an extent. In the post you quoted, I specifically said the following:
    I don't think anyone should be maliciously mocked for their choice of lifestyle

...then you use an example of someone being maliciously mocked as a counterpoint to mine. Are you aware of what we're discussing here or did the thread title anger you so much you've become blind to the fact that it was simply nothing more THAN a provocative thread title? You seem like an intelligent person so your inability to contextualize this amazes me, tbh.

What I'm saying is that I, as a smoker, have to put up with mini-life lectures from non-smokers on a constant basis. Now I'm not complaining about this...their patronising, know-it-all tone simply washes over me at this stage.

I'm simply stating that if people who clearly over-eat and are the cause of their own downfall through another means feel uppity enough to lecture others, then they should be ready for a dose of their own medicine. And we as a society shouldn't say you can lecture X to their face but you can't say a word to Y or you're...
    Nasty nasty stuff, weak, easy and very sad.

...exactly!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Slaggin' fat people is taboo because mothers become the target???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

Doesn't this attitude of slagging people ,help support people with eating disorders like anorexia ?
    Surely slagging "Fat people" ,whether its discussed online or not ,makes things worse for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Reminds me of a time in school where a guy was slagging me about my parents being divorced, I called him a fat **** and suddenly everybody goes bat**** insane saying that it's going too far to call a fat person fat.

If a person is just fat that's one thing, but those landwhales that you see in America are utter scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

But seriously, define fat?
    obviously the morbidly obese or obese can be called fat yes, but from my own experience from hearing people seriously slag people off, different people have very different views on whats fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think it would be very embarrassing to be fat when we have famine in this world.
    Some in the world eating too much or too much of the wrong food while others starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Having seen photos of the OP, I know he has a really bad acne problem. White-caps all over his face & neck, and really bad skin in general - very blotchy. Are we allowed to point that out? Surely he should change his diet too & eat less greasy foods, and get out in the air more - dry them up.
    Or maybe he'll try to say "it's a condition".

What about all them rich people with money they don't need ,they should give it to the poor. Everbody needs to eat and some people have issues that causes them to eat more.

What about all them rich people with money they don't need ,they should give it to the poor. Everbody needs to eat and some people have issues that causes them to eat more.

What do the people in famine regions do when they have issues?

They can't eat more when they have no food...

Min wrote: »

They can't eat more when they have no food...

Trying to make people feel guilty ,way to go.

Trying to make people feel guilty ,way to go.

It is a valid question, not trying to make anyone feel guilty, sorry if it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think it would be very embarrassing to be fat when we have famine in this world.
    Some in the world eating too much or too much of the wrong food while others starve.

That's assuming people actually care about the third world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

I knew this overweight guy about eight years ago who had an obsession with skinny gorgeous girls, he would have done anything to get a slim model.

Eight years later, still overweight but is dating an overweight girl.

• Advertisement

It is a valid question, not trying to make anyone feel guilty, sorry if it did.

Your question is resolved by getting donations and helping countries like somalia. Food in our country will perish if it's not eaten.
    Ask tesco to stock less food and see if that makes a difference ,to the amount of food people eat in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Op your right we shouldn`t tip toe around people who are at an unhealthy weight. At the end of the day thats what is the problem - its unhealthy. We are all built differently and it is harder for some people to achieve a healthy weight particularly long term but it is definetely achievable.

It definetely should not be a dirty word to use clinical terms like obese, overweight or viseral fat because these are the real issues. They look extremely unhealthy and as such should be ostrasized to a certain point, it shouldn`t be a societal norm to be overweight and unhealthy.

Naturally the survivors years ago were the people who gained weight easy and so had fat stores to utilise when neccessary, so there genes survived because they were the last people standing. The only problem is there is no famine time now for them to use these stores.

Maybe this is why society protects them even thou they don`t look healthy, but if they had used their stores they would have looked healthy again?

Health is what is attractive which is why models/page 3/attractive people are slim - there skin,eyes, teeth, hair etc look healthy and so they are good candidates for procreation, thats why women use products that mimic a healthy clear complection and glossy hair. No amount of products can compensate for the complexion you achieve if you exercise daily.

My husband takes issue and he`s correct with the fact that those "perfect" people on the magazines eg Jennifer Lopez are not more out spoken about why they look the way they do.

-Recently Jennifer answered in an article about keeping herself in shape she admitted it was hard, she doesn`t drink or smoke, she never eats any unhealthy food and sacrifices alot because she naturally gains weight very easily. Her trainer spoke in a magazine before about how dedicated she was to their 5am daily training sessions :eek:.
    -Look at Beyonce that girl works her ass off there is no way she is natually thin, she offen comments about her love of fried chicken and how she can never eat it.

So it can be done, so it is a choice in the majority of cases, health issues a side because they do not explain the majority of peoples weight gain although their natural predisposition to weight gain - as people who could store fat reproduced with likewise, and the constant availability of food which our body tells us we need to store.

2 stone overweight, weight obsessed female.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Children should be educated in school how to eat healthy diet for one thing and also it is difficult to eat a healthy diet cheaply.

I have an underactive thyroid and have just had a baby but I am still only a size 8 but I do accept that some people do have medical issues which cause them to gain weight.

Having seen photos of the OP, I know he has a really bad acne problem. White-caps all over his face & neck, and really bad skin in general - very blotchy. Are we allowed to point that out? Surely he should change his diet too & eat less greasy foods, and get out in the air more - dry them up.
    Or maybe he'll try to say "it's a condition".

Dude, you already lost when you said you were just a troll and afraid to put yourself under the same microscope. Also, your info is at least 2 years out of date...and the pics you used were taken in 2005 and 2007, so even your researching is a massive fail. Like what does it conclude? 17-year old's get spots, stop the presses! Haha

I can take a bit of slagging, it doesn't really bother me what some anonymous dude behind a keyboard thinks about my skin :D. You're just coming across as bitter at this stage. Give up.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Children should be educated in school how to eat healthy diet for one thing and also it is difficult to eat a healthy diet cheaply.

^^^

This. We also need to demonise unhealthy eating properly in the same way that we demonise smoking. And not through these crash diets you read about in women's magazines that almost encourage eating disorders and problems going the other direction. Look at how the perception of smoking has changed over the years, and rightfully so, it works!

Promoting a healthy lifestyle is important because, while people can make their own choices and are more than entitled to stand by said decisions, the general public en masse is simply not educated enough to make the correct decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It wouldn't be worth it to actively go out of your way to slag people. In a lot of cases it is the laziness that is being slagged and not the weight of the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Shpuds

I'd be careful, OP. The fat people might come and eat you next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Uhm, they die?

I think emotional problems are the least of your worries when you and your family are starving to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Shpuds wrote: »
    I'd be careful, OP. The fat people might come and eat you next!

OP is just a self loathing tubby.

He doesn't have much to worry about.

• Advertisement

OP is just a self loathing tubby.

He doesn't have much to worry about.

Oh yeah, very true, they'll eat me if I don't eat myself first. Nom.

I suppose it could be worse though...I could be a self-loathing troll...

Advertisement