Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

k_mac wrote: »
    My mate put on a lot of weight this year due to what's called an insulinoma, a tumour on his pancreas which affected his insulin production. Despite the fact that he reduced his food intake to one meal a day he continued to put on weight. The extra weight caused him to develop sleep apnea which meant that he effectively could not get a good nights sleep and so he had no energy throughout the day to exercise. He then became clinically depressed. Can you blame him? Now he has had treatment he has to undertake the slow processes of losing the six stone he has put on while he was sick.

So tell me op, what would you like to slag him about?

How awful for your mate. First he suffers a one in a million (literally) medical condition requiring surgery, then he experiences a one in three side effect (weight gain) to an abnormally large extent (6 stone gain on one meal a day).
    That's a terrible experience to go through, and I'm not surprised he became depressed. I hope he's on the way back to full health now.
    I'm sure you'd agree, his reasons for being overweight are anything but typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I think we're "not allowed" to slag fat people because we're not children anymore and should know better. Like it's not particularly nice to slag people off but in fairness it's kinda unstandable for a thick 10 year old to do. As adults we should have learned to mind our own ****ing business, and hopefully we're not as thick as your average 10 year old.

I think basically that what other people look like is none of my ****ing business. They don't OWE "society" an answer the way some seem to think they do :rolleyes:. If someone wants blue hair that's ok, if they want scarification that's ok, if they want to be covered in tattoos that's ok and if they want to be 18 stone that's ok too. Asking people to be held accountable for the way they look is ****ing stupid, I'm sure the OP wouldn't like to be held up and asked for answers as to why he's a weedy unhealthy smoker now would he?

With regards to "it's costing taxpayer's money" to help with surgery etc I say cop bloody on. It costs money to the tax payer when someone is in a mountain climbing accident, or ice skating accident, or fights from boozing etc etc etc, should we ban mountain climbing, ice skating and booze??? No, because we want a free society not a bloody dictatorship.

So that is why we're not "allowed" to slag fat people, it's because it's none of our ****ing business and they're entitled to exist however they want to. Jesus this thread is bloody stupid. I'm off to look for a thread that's actually fun, what's happened to AH lately?

Full disclosure: I'm 5'8" and 8 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Do you think people should get tax credits if they can pass a fitness test? An incentive to get in shape and give up smoking.

That would be class.

it would be worth it from the governments point of view as well... if it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

How awful for your mate. First he suffers a one in a million (literally) medical condition requiring surgery, then he experiences a one in three side effect (weight gain) to an abnormally large extent (6 stone gain on one meal a day).
    That's a terrible experience to go through, and I'm not surprised he became depressed. I hope he's on the way back to full health now.
    I'm sure you'd agree, his reasons for being overweight are anything but typical.

Yes he's on his way back to good health. But my point is that you never know the reasons why some people look the way they do. Maybe they eat too much or maybe they have a rare disease. There are many people who suffer from underactive thyroids which cause them to gain weight. Even a simple thing like an ulcer can result in a person gaining weight.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Do you think people should get tax credits if they can pass a fitness test? An incentive to get in shape and give up smoking.

That would be class.

I think gym membership should be tax deductable like day to day health expenses are.

• Advertisement

Yes he's on his way back to good health. But my point is that you never know the reasons why some people look the way they do. Maybe they eat too much or maybe they have a rare disease. There are many people who suffer from underactive thyroids which cause them to gain weight. Even a simple thing like an ulcer can result in a person gaining weight.

I think in at least 99% of cases, we know exactly why they are overweight. It's a simple matter of excess calorific intake.
    Ulcers, at least stomach ulcers or mouth ulcers, would be more likely to cause someone to lose weight, at least in my own experience.
    Underactive thyroids are another rare condition, a 1 in a 1000 occurrence.

I think in at least 99% of cases, we know exactly why they are overweight. It's a simple matter of excess calorific intake.
    Ulcers, at least stomach ulcers or mouth ulcers, would be more likely to cause someone to lose weight, at least in my own experience.
    Underactive thyroids are another rare condition, a 1 in a 1000 occurrence.

Not rare in a family with diabetics. Stomach ulcers don't in themselves cause a person to gain weight but some people can only relieve the symptoms by eating something. An undiagnosed ulcer can cause a person to overeat without really knowing why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Normally I would hold judgment on very fat people. However I have no sympathy and, at times disgusted to see fat people stuffing themselves with junk food etc.
    Of course there are fat people who are conscious of their weight and try to lose a few pounds...but those who are obese and continue to eat crap have no respect for their body and health, so why should I have any respect for them?

Secondly, fat women who wear skin tight tops with all their rolls of flab flopping about the place...who is the cun.t who convinced them to be confident enough to dress like that? Stomach churning stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

There seems to be evidence that suggests obese people actually cost the system less overall. as they die younger and don't incur the expenese related to slow degenerative health issues associated with old age.

Link

Pace2008 wrote: »
    There seems to be evidence that suggests obese people actually cost the system less overall. as they die younger and don't incur the expenese related to slow degenerative health issues associated with old age.

Link

Yes the real expensive people are obese people who get thin and healthy in their later years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Darlughda wrote: »
    Are you that desperate to find some group in society that you can despise or deride?

How insecure and fúcked up are you?

Just because it is a popular notion to despise overweight people, and somehow 'justify' this nastiness by saying its their own fault, the truth is its not as black and white as that.

The fact that you have a problem with this shows what a desperate character you must have scrabbling for a hate group, to feel better about your pathetic existence.

What is your daily diet like OP?

How much drink to you honestly have each week?

I am slim, by sheer luck, not through effort, discipline, good diet and excercise. I know many others who struggle with being overweight and they are very careful with their diet and excercise regularly.

I am sick and tired of seeing overweight people being abused by people, because somehow its considered acceptable.

How much excercise do you take?

Why haven't you given up cigarettes?

haha this is a great post, you go off about he op being insecure and pathetic for having a go at fat people and here you are having a go at him......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i used to work with a fat girl who actually made a shortcut through the partitions in the office to get to the fridge......now that's funny because it was the first time in the history of the company that ever happened....it's only a 5 second walk to go around them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My sister is morbidly obese (this is what her consultant himself has said) my mother thinks she is just pudgy and both she and my sister make every excuse under the sun for her being overweight, but the truth is she is a very fat and it is her own fault.

She drinks 4 litres of Diet Coke a day (since it is Diet she feels thats better) I have seen her eat a 16 inch pizza by herself by getting 2-3 slices, piling them onto each other like a sandwich and eating them like that like a normal person would eat one slice! How can you be sensitive to a person when they are like that. She has had seizures and everything over her weight, people need to cop the fúck on when it comes to their health, especially when it costs the HSE and in turn the tax payer to look after them!

I am a size 8 (and that is after a child by C-Section) my sister is size 26. Her clothes were too big for me when I was pregnant, and with the belly I had, that says enough!

Not rare in a family with diabetics. Stomach ulcers don't in themselves cause a person to gain weight but some people can only relieve the symptoms by eating something. An undiagnosed ulcer can cause a person to overeat without really knowing why.

Type II diabetes is most commonly a result of behaviour associated with obesity. So the question then is, which came first, the obesity, then the diabetes then the thyroid problem, or the diabetes then the thyroid problem then the obesity?
    I've never known someone who overate with an ulcer in the mouth or stomach. Bloody painful to do so, and I can't see how it would relieve the pain by further irritating the site of inflammation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A friend who by irish standards wasn't that fat...went to the doctor with flu symptoms..., the doctor really laid into him about his weight and told him to cop on or he'll die young or have a heart attack....it worked!!! All Doctors should go harder on people about diet and exercise.

This weeks savage eye on rte is about irish health. It's an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I think there's a distinction between slagging a fat person and saying "it's their own fault".

Slagging isn't fair really. Saying it's their own fault is fair. It's simply stating fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You can say what you want OP, I just hope that there are plenty of people around the day you say something to the wrong person. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Its very easy to lose weight, I'm trying to gain weight and I'm finding that a lot harder, you have to eat a considerable amount of fatty food and at the same time try and not burn those calories in your daily routine to gain a lot of weight. I'm not sure if anyone here watches The Biggest Loser US but I have been watching that show for the past 2 or 3 seasons and it just shows with a bit of exercise and a good diet most of those people lose over 10lbs in the first week! And if they are motivated they will continue to lose weight. There is an emotional and psychological reason why most people stay fat and of course yes there is a percentage of fat people who are just lazy b*stards

Type II diabetes is most commonly a result of behaviour associated with obesity. So the question then is, which came first, the obesity, then the diabetes then the thyroid problem, or the diabetes then the thyroid problem then the obesity?
    I've never known someone who overate with an ulcer in the mouth or stomach. Bloody painful to do so, and I can't see how it would relieve the pain by further irritating the site of inflammation.

It relieves the heartburn.

And i was referring to Type one diabetics. Their children are at risk of having trouble with their thyroid. i thin you're missing the point of my post though.

My point isn't that all fat people are sick. My point is that you can't know why they are the way they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

leggo wrote: »
    I was expecting wittier replies than that. C+

Shit in; shit out.

You know the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Its very easy to lose weight, I'm trying to gain weight and I'm finding that a lot harder, you have to eat a considerable amount of fatty food and at the same time try and not burn those calories in your daily routine to gain a lot of weight. I'm not sure if anyone here watches The Biggest Loser US but I have been watching that show for the past 2 or 3 seasons and it just shows with a bit of exercise and a good diet most of those people lose over 10lbs in the first week! And if they are motivated they will continue to lose weight. There is an emotional and psychological reason why most people stay fat and of course yes there is a percentage of fat people who are just lazy b*stards

Only the largest lose that kind of weight initially. It's easier (probably not the best choice of word) to lose that much weight initially when you're carrying such large amounts of excess weight.

Do you ever wonder why they wear more clothes as the show goes on? It's because losing that kind of weight so fast leaves them with massive amounts of excess skin.

It relieves the heartburn.

By inflaming the stomach? I find that entirely unlikely. In any case, when did eating ever relieve heartburn? Drinking an antacid, perhaps. But eating?
    And i was referring to Type one diabetics. Their children are at risk of having trouble with their thyroid. i thin you're missing the point of my post though.
    My point isn't that all fat people are sick. My point is that you can't know why they are the way they are.

I think, with respect, your point is pretty much invalidated by the fact that you've been citing 1 in 3 million occurrences as reasons to doubt why an individual might be obese for any other reason than overeating.
    Those are ridiculous outlying odds. Citing the 1 in a thousand likelihood of hypothyroidism wasn't much better.
    If I see someone who is significantly overweight in the Western world, I can be almost certain instantly that they are overeating and not sufficiently exercising. Generally, any longshot doubt is quickly dispelled when they put the can of coke or a fistful of chips or crisps to their open maw, since they're rarely without somesuch close to hand.
    The OP wanted to know why it was unacceptable to slag such people. Personally, I've better things to do with my time than abuse people. But I still find it odd that it's considered good fun to abuse red haired people, a genetic inheritance that harms no one and is a national trait in this country, but PC diktats prevent commenting on the self-evident self-harm that obese people are engaged in.
    I think, when they pass their poor dietary and exercise habits on to their kids, it's a form of child abuse and deserves abuse, or at the very least some stern words and education.
    You would have me believe that a sizeable number of obese people are ill through no fault of their own. In reality, it is a microscopic fraction of obese people who cannot blame their own lack of self-discipline and lack of self-esteem for their size.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Your average scene at the chipper on a Saturday night:

Girl: "Ere, gizza a quarter pounder...........eh............some chicken nuggets and a large cheese curry chip!"
    Staff: "You want anything to drink?"
    Girl: "Diet Coke!..............thank you.........*om nom nom nom*"
    Staff: "Good Lord!!"

I'm confused when fat people make comments about me smoking. The urge to roar out disgraceful language about their own weight can be almost too much, sometimes.

Just once I'd love to shout back at them so I'll do it here to those who've commented to me about smoking :pac::
    "Smoking is bad for your health but eating like a fùckin' machine and winding up like a whale is perfectly acceptable? Go be fat & sweaty somewhere else you git!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a proven scientific fact that fat people are fat because their elbows move a lot faster than normal, due to bad signalling from the brain.

By inflaming the stomach? I find that entirely unlikely. In any case, when did eating ever relieve heartburn? Drinking an antacid, perhaps. But eating?

I think, with respect, your point is pretty much invalidated by the fact that you've been citing 1 in 3 million occurrences as reasons to doubt why an individual might be obese for any other reason than overeating.
    Those are ridiculous outlying odds. Citing the 1 in a thousand likelihood of hypothyroidism wasn't much better.
    If I see someone who is significantly overweight in the Western world, I can be almost certain instantly that they are overeating and not sufficiently exercising. Generally, any longshot doubt is quickly dispelled when they put the can of coke or a fistful of chips or crisps to their open maw, since they're rarely without somesuch close to hand.
    The OP wanted to know why it was unacceptable to slag such people. Personally, I've better things to do with my time than abuse people. But I still find it odd that it's considered good fun to abuse red haired people, a genetic inheritance that harms no one and is a national trait in this country, but PC diktats prevent commenting on the self-evident self-harm that obese people are engaged in.
    I think, when they pass their poor dietary and exercise habits on to their kids, it's a form of child abuse and deserves abuse, or at the very least some stern words and education.
    You would have me believe that a sizeable number of obese people are ill through no fault of their own. In reality, it is a microscopic fraction of obese people who cannot blame their own lack of self-discipline and lack of self-esteem for their size.

I'd have you believe nothing of the sort. You've clearly missed my point completely.

I'd have you believe nothing of the sort. You've clearly missed my point completely.

Then perhaps you should clarify it. All you've done is cite extremely unusual medical scenarios, the most common of which affects less than one in a thousand people, to suggest that it is not possible to conclude that obese people are obese because they overeat.
    Now, if your point is something else, I clearly have missed it and perhaps you could be so kind as to explain it again to me.
    But if that was your point, it's defunct, because in addition to size, obese people freely demonstrate their overeating by, erm, eating all the time.

Then perhaps you should clarify it. All you've done is cite extremely unusual medical scenarios, the most common of which affects less than one in a thousand people, to suggest that it is not possible to conclude that obese people are obese because they overeat.
    Now, if your point is something else, I clearly have missed it and perhaps you could be so kind as to explain it again to me.
    But if that was your point, it's defunct, because in addition to size, obese people freely demonstrate their overeating by, erm, eating all the time.

to suggest that it is not possible to conclude that all obese people are obese because they overeat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Since when are we not allowed slag fat people? There's a bloody thread in AH on a regular basis that boils down to one side saying "put down the pies fatty, you pig"(with a small bunch saying "we're all precious snowflakes"), so I dunno how the PC brigade are hampering the slagging of the overweight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

to suggest that it is not possible to conclude that all obese people are obese because they overeat.

Yes, that's the defunct point I was talking about. Because the likelihood that they are obese because of behavioural rather than medical reasons is well in excess of 99%, and also because their continual behaviour betrays them in this regard.

Advertisement