Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Well I didn't mean it to the point of hitting starvation mode.. I mean that reducing it from 3500 calories to say 1800 calories will work and you won't feel as hungry. Your body will adapt to it. If you keep eating when you're hungry, it just gets into a bad routine..
    And I am far from talking absolute crap. Very far from it. I'm saying eat less, you won't feel as hungry and you will lose weight. Standard advice and if I have the medical reasons wrong, fair enough.. But it's still good advice.

Im advising anyone who is overweight & reading this thread that its not a good idea to eat feck all for a while to lose weight. Such a drastic reduction in calorie intake will have negative affects. Trust me i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its not completely acceptable because despite what everyone says, its not as simple as "Ok, today Ill cut out all the fast food and chocolate, start running 5k a day and in x months, Ill be fit and happy"
    If your born into an overweight family, you'll have a predisposition to being overweight yourself. You'll take on the eating habits and lifestyle of your parents. This doesnt have to mean eating from the chipper everyday and never exercising. It can just be a case of eating larger portions of good food, with maybe afew too many treats (chinese once a week) on top of a fairly sedentary lifestyle (just infrequent walks etc) This was the situation I was in. It wasnt a case of stuffing myself with rubbish all the time, just a slow gradual weight gain over many years. How many people are in that boat? Millions Id imagine. Its hardly entitles people to slag them off about it.

Im advising anyone who is overweight & reading this thread that its not a good idea to eat feck all for a while to lose weight. Such a drastic reduction in calorie intake will have negative affects. Trust me i know.

I don't mean a drastic reduction.. I mean smaller meals and your body will adapt. The biggest thing is getting used to feeling hungry and not instantly eating to get rid of it.. Feeling hunger isn't a bad thing. Eating a meal every time you feel it, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Agricola wrote: »
    Its not completely acceptable because despite what everyone says, its not as simple as "Ok, today Ill cut out all the fast food and chocolate, start running 5k a day and in x months, Ill be fit and happy"

Sorry, but yes it is. Millions of people across the world manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I think the whole thing is very simple.

For the vast majority of people: eat less, eat better and excercise more: lose weight.
    Eat more, eat better and excercise more: gain weight.

Very, very, very simple concept and math, and a very direct relationship. You don't need a special diet or whatever, it's all tricks for the mind. It just comes down to that core principle above.

If you choose not to eat according to what is best for you - then that's on you.

I can understand people get upset if you comment on their weight, fat and skinny. But it's a problem of their own making. I'd love to put on a bit more weight, but I'm a lazy bollox, so I don't. I understand it's my own problem. I don't make up stuff in my head like I've some sort of rare problem that causes me to be the way I am.

I'm renting at the moment, and the person I share with is overweight. Usually when I cook something, I tend to offer to make some for her as well, just to be polite. She never accepts. Takeaways, dominos, fryups etc - that's all you'll see on her plate. Never any veg. Always a diet coke.

She got a dog recently and was constantly going on before about how having a dog would kinda force her into going for walks for the benefit of the dog, and ultimately be good for her as well. The poor pup gets maybe 1 walk a week from her. Even then they're like ten minutes. It pisses me off enough that I end up taking the dog for walks myself, because it's just crap that the animal is mis-treated this way. One day before christmas she even mentioned she was thinking about holding some food back from the dog because she felt the dog was getting fat!!

All the signs are there that she would LIKE to lose weight. The crazy amounts of money spent on a bike and various equipment, random aerobics equipment - they're just hardly touched. And there'll be excuses (like I make for myself that prevent me going to the gym or eating more) - too busy, too tired after work, I deserve a little break to indulge etc. Just needs a kick up the ass, willpower and determination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I don't mean a drastic reduction.. I mean smaller meals and your body will adapt. The biggest thing is getting used to feeling hungry and not instantly eating to get rid of it.. Feeling hunger isn't a bad thing. Eating a meal every time you feel it, is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIt_hedcBTc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Liqudise your food and drink water only along with daily exercise you'll
    Lose loads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If your born into an overweight family, you'll have a predisposition to being overweight yourself. You'll take on the eating habits and lifestyle of your parents. This doesnt have to mean eating from the chipper everyday and never exercising. It can just be a case of eating larger portions of good food, with maybe afew too many treats (chinese once a week) on top of a fairly sedentary lifestyle (just infrequent walks etc) This was the situation I was in. It wasnt a case of stuffing myself with rubbish all the time, just a slow gradual weight gain over many years. How many people are in that boat? Millions Id imagine. Its hardly entitles people to slag them off about it.

I lost 3 stone simply by taking responsibility for my eating habits ie cutting down the choc and increasing the veg. I turned what was left into something respectable later on with gym work (I found entering into a sprint triathlon gave me enormous focus and also motivated me to stop smoking).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, ignoring free will and adult responsibility, you're entirely correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

thats crazy - I don't think the person is saying to starve themselves - rather, they are saying to cut down to what your body needs (not what it wants to have). Going by your philosophy weight watchers is a "drastic reaction".

Women only need 1800 calories per day - cutting down to 1800 calories per day is not drastic action - its normal. And eating 1800 calories per day provides PLENTY of food to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I agree with you to a certain extent op

I'm starting to lose my hair and have been getting awful stick from my mates about it. I don't particularly like the slaggings but fuck it, there is nothing I can do about it.

Only last weekend one of my mates was giving me grief again about the aul hair loss and I said ''go away out of the that ye fat shite'' or something along those lines. There was absolutely no malice in it at all and we're always slagging each other off so it wasn't out of the blue or anything like that.

Anyway he went off to the jacks and my girl mates gave me a roasting for calling him a fat shite. Double standards ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It works different for everyone. I work with this fella who is a bout eighteen stone. I never see him eat junk. He never gets takeawys with the rest of us. Now and again he eats cereal but that's it. Whereas my mate from school has been surviving on processed sugar since I've known him. Don't think he even knows what a vegetable is. But he looks anorexic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

k_mac wrote: »
    It works different for everyone. I work with this fella who is a bout eighteen stone. I never see him eat junk. He never gets takeawys with the rest of us. Now and again he eats cereal but that's it. Whereas my mate from school has been surviving on processed sugar since I've known him. Don't think he even knows what a vegetable is. But he looks anorexic.

While he looks skinny though, he will have all sorts of vitamin and mineral deficiencies going on, which can lead to health problems as much as over eating. Next time you see him check out his teeth, gums, nails, hair, eyes. Probably don't look the best, and reflect the deficiencies on the inside.

I hate the excuse of take aways being to blame, because they're quicker apparently. In the time you've taken to decide what you want, order it, wait for it to be delivered, you could have a healthy stir fry done and on the table, or some fish fried off with boiled potatoes. Cooking healthy food isn't a hassle as long as you're prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The human body only begins to break down muscle and tissue etc when it has used up every last fat cell in the body.

Absolutely WAY off, you couldn't be more wrong.

Muscle will be metabolised by the body FIRST. Why? Because muscle has a calorific requirement so in times of low food availability the body will start to burn the very stuff that requires the most but is, effectively, nonessential.

Fat doesn't require anything to be maintained, so will be held onto by the body as long as possible.

Remember, your body doesn't know if you are on a diet or if thermonuclear winter has caused all plants and animals to die, it just knows you are eating less and it has it's own drive to stick around for as long as possible.

The best way to lose weight is with a low carb, high protein and medium fat (healthy fats) diet. It is generally carbs that cause all sorts of problems for people as they cause spikes of insulin in the body which promote storage of adipose (fat).

Eating 4 to six times a day, the meals evenly spaced out and balanced in the macronutrients you require is largely consider the best eating habit by people who actually have a clue what they are talking about.

It should also be pointed out, for the sake of totality, that the human body cannot survive without some fat. If you "used up every last fat cell in the body" you would die.

Jesus, no wonder so many people are too fat, too skinny, or just plain in piss poor health if this kind of thing is what people think.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Liqudise your food and drink water only along with daily exercise you'll
    Lose loads

Why "liqudise" your foods?

Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Lay off fat people OP, they already have enough on their plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Losing weight is simple, but its not easy. Same as quitting smoling is simple but not easy. Or for me gaining weight was not easy.

I wonder how sad someones life is that they feel like they are missing out on something if they dont slag a group of people off be for whatever reason. I also wonder how brave these people would be doing it to peoples faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Why "liqudise" your foods?

Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this one.

Obviously don't take what I wrote seriously for anyone who wants to loose weight go see your doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

gcgirl wrote: »
    Obviously don't take what I wrote seriously for anyone who wants to loose weight go see your doctor!

Haha no need to see a doctor to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Darlughda wrote: »
    Are you that desperate to find some group in society that you can despise or deride?

How insecure and fúcked up are you?

Just because it is a popular notion to despise overweight people, and somehow 'justify' this nastiness by saying its their own fault, the truth is its not as black and white as that.

The fact that you have a problem with this shows what a desperate character you must have scrabbling for a hate group, to feel better about your pathetic existence.

What is your daily diet like OP?

How much drink to you honestly have each week?

I am slim, by sheer luck, not through effort, discipline, good diet and excercise. I know many others who struggle with being overweight and they are very careful with their diet and excercise regularly.

I am sick and tired of seeing overweight people being abused by people, because somehow its considered acceptable.

How much excercise do you take?

Why haven't you given up cigarettes?

I have no problem with fat people. I don't want to slag them off and I don't. If someone wants to be fat, grand more power to them. If they don't want to be fat but find it hard to stay trim. I've a bit of sympathy for them in the same way I've sympathy for an alcoholic that wants to quit drinking but finds it difficult. A lot of the time the fact they are fat or an alcoholic is a symptom of an underlying mental problem like depression.

But for people that come out with this. They are just un lucky. It isn't necessarily because they eat a load of sh1t and don't exercise enough. They just have bad genes and a slow metabolism and a glandular problem and a goblin that lives in the forest put a fatness curse on them because they stole his golden amulet bla bla fukking bla......

I do have a problem with you people. I have no problem slagging you off. You are all idiots and you are not helping overweight people by making magic pie in the sky nonsense excuses for them. Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Haha no need to see a doctor to lose weight.

If you need to or are planning to drop a lot of weight. A few stone then yes there is need to visit a doctor as you could end up starving yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If you need to or are planning to drop a lot of weight. A few stone then yes there is need to visit a doctor as you could end up starving yourself

When you decide to do something to lose weight you don't just drop the few stone overnight or in a few weeks. So eh no you don't need to go to a doctor. If you feel the need to go to a doctor and drop 40 odd quid into his pocket and receive information from somebody not trained as a nutritionist or dietitian then work away. There is free information on the internet to aid you in weight loss. I have helped plenty of mates drop a few stone with no side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Doctor's knowledge of nutrition is poor at the best of times. Most will tell you to go to weight watchers which is just makes people go round in circles.

Absolutely WAY off, you couldn't be more wrong.

Muscle will be metabolised by the body FIRST. Why? Because muscle has a calorific requirement so in times of low food availability the body will start to burn the very stuff that requires the most but is, effectively, nonessential.

Fat doesn't require anything to be maintained, so will be held onto by the body as long as possible.

Remember, your body doesn't know if you are on a diet or if thermonuclear winter has caused all plants and animals to die, it just knows you are eating less and it has it's own drive to stick around for as long as possible.

The best way to lose weight is with a low carb, high protein and medium fat (healthy fats) diet. It is generally carbs that cause all sorts of problems for people as they cause spikes of insulin in the body which promote storage of adipose (fat).

Eating 4 to six times a day, the meals evenly spaced out and balanced in the macronutrients you require is largely consider the best eating habit by people who actually have a clue what they are talking about.

It should also be pointed out, for the sake of totality, that the human body cannot survive without some fat. If you "used up every last fat cell in the body" you would die.

Jesus, no wonder so many people are too fat, too skinny, or just plain in piss poor health if this kind of thing is what people think.

So you would agree that a very overweight person just eating way way less than usual for a week or 2 would very much be the wrong approach to successfully losing weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is free information on the internet to aid you in weight loss.

Indeed. There is no purer source of knowledge than After Hours.

So you would agree that a very overweight person just eating way way less than usual for a week or 2 would very much be the wrong approach to successfully losing weight?

In my opinion, yes, that would be the incorrect approach to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

BMI people. Look at your BMI and see were you are.

I know this isnt the be all and end all of whats fat and whats not but it'll give you an idea of your healthy weight.

There are a HUGE amount of overweight people in this country and elsewhere who think they are grand.

Bottom line is being overweight puts you at higher risk of numerous illnesses yet people still ignore this.

Thats not to say someone whos skinny is automatically healthy btw.

Point is eat healthy excercise and you will not become fat/stay fat.

Fat people need to stop eating so much, change their diet, excercise more etc... Its really not rocket science. Watch the biggest loser on tv. Weight loss is possible for any size.

And no you shouldnt redicule people for being fat.

However some people need to told before they'll do something about it.

Size 12 plus girls need to check their weight on BMI. Some who think they are "normal" size could get a shock.

• Advertisement

coffeenuts wrote: »
    BMI people. Look at your BMI and see were you are.

I think the whole BMI thing is a load of rubbish. It just doesn't allow for variations in build or genetic history.

Advertisement