Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I was speaking to a psychologist in a weight loss clinic a while ago who told me 20% of their patients had been abused as children. This meant that as they grew into their adolescence and started to get attention from members of the opposite (or not opposite) sex they would feel frightened and ashamed.

Some of them over ate to avoid sexual attention.

She also told me that not all people where considered suitable for gastric banding as if they could no longer eat away their problems they were high risk of drinking them away.

Obesity is far more complex than just eating too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

coffeenuts wrote: »
    BMI people. Look at your BMI and see were you are.

I know this isnt the be all and end all of whats fat and whats not but it'll give you an idea of your healthy weight.

There are a HUGE amount of overweight people in this country and elsewhere who think they are grand.

Bottom line is being overweight puts you at higher risk of numerous illnesses yet people still ignore this.

Thats not to say someone whos skinny is automatically healthy btw.

Point is eat healthy excercise and you will not become fat/stay fat.

Fat people need to stop eating so much, change their diet, excercise more etc... Its really not rocket science. Watch the biggest loser on tv. Weight loss is possible for any size.

And no you shouldnt redicule people for being fat.

However some people need to told before they'll do something about it.

Size 12 plus girls need to check their weight on BMI. Some who think they are "normal" size could get a shock.

Anyone who relies on BMI on any level is kidding themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I know this isnt the be all and end all of whats fat and whats not but it'll give you an idea of your healthy weight.

There are a HUGE amount of overweight people in this country and elsewhere who think they are grand.

Bottom line is being overweight puts you at higher risk of numerous illnesses yet people still ignore this.

Fat people need to stop eating so much, change their diet, excercise more etc... Its really not rocket science. Watch the biggest loser on tv. Weight loss is possible for any size.

Size 12 plus girls need to check their weight on BMI. Some who think they are "normal" size could get a shock.

BMI doesn't take any consideration into account for body make up. If you are 18stone of pure muscle with a bodyfat of 7% it will tell you that you are this mystical "overweight".

If you want to know if you are fat, look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. That's really about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

eilo1 wrote: »
    I was speaking to a psychologist in a weight loss clinic a while ago who told me 20% of their patients had been abused as children. This meant that as they grew into their adolescence and started to get attention from members of the opposite (or not opposite) sex they would feel frightened and ashamed.

She also told me that not all people where considered suitable for gastric banding as if they could no longer eat away their problems they were high risk of drinking them away.

Yeah but 95% of the overweight people in ireland don't go to weight loss clinics so thats a fraction of the overall number of overweight people in ireland. Those who are overweight because of what you're talking about? That is horrible & a valid excuse.

Im a bit of a puddin. Not gigantic but definitely overweight for my height. Just because i like eating. I like my grub. I'l admit it. Thats the first step.

Our you can bullsh!t yourself & blame everyone & everything around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Hip-to-waist ratio is a better indicator of health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

When you decide to do something to lose weight you don't just drop the few stone overnight or in a few weeks. So eh no you don't need to go to a doctor. If you feel the need to go to a doctor and drop 40 odd quid into his pocket and receive information from somebody not trained as a nutritionist or dietitian then work away. There is free information on the internet to aid you in weight loss. I have helped plenty of mates drop a few stone with no side effects.

Maybe I dint make myself clear. If you need drastic weight loss you do need a doctor (not necessarily a GP but you may need referal). im not talking about dropping a bit of weight for your holidays. There is a very real risk of people starving themselves even if they are obese because they just stop eating, do not eat right etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was speaking to a psychologist in a weight loss clinic a while ago who told me 20% of their patients had been abused as children.

Yes, I know it's not funny.

fg9e51533002c871i000600001a4d3020.png

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYCoXKSCQcM&feature=feedu_more

Look at this and you realise that we can slag fat people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Who said you weren't allowed? There's comedies devoted to it (Shallow Hal and the Eddie Murphy remake of The Nutty Professor for instance). They're not funny though.

It's ridiculous to compare smoking to eating too much. You need to eat to survive. Some people go on to eat too much or eat the wrong foods. Smokers make a decision to put toxins into their system. Most people who eat a chocolate eclair for the first time will think it tastes nice and want more. Most people who smoke a cigarette for the first time will cough and wheeze.

I'm not saying I have anything against smokers (apart from the ones that discard their cigarette butts all over the place and pollute my lungs). I'm just saying it's easier to avoid smoking than it is to avoid overeating.

Some people aren't overweight from overeating by the way. All kinds of things can happen, for instance being in an accident and subsequently being unable to exercise.

I don't really get why you feel the need to slag anyone who hasn't done anything to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

Ah give over. Excuses, excuses, excuses, etc...
    k_mac wrote: »
    Anyone who relies on BMI on any level is kidding themselves

Nope your quite wrong but as the next quote says it isnt the be all and end all....however...
    BMI doesn't take any consideration into account for body make up. If you are 18stone of pure muscle with a bodyfat of 7% it will tell you that you are this mystical "overweight".

If you want to know if you are fat, look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. That's really about it.

...however most fat people are fat and not pure muscle so the BMI is a decent guide.
    Yeah but 95% of the overweight people in ireland don't go to weight loss clinics so thats a fraction of the overall number of overweight people in ireland. Those who are overweight because of what you're talking about? That is horrible & a valid excuse.

Im a bit of a puddin. Not gigantic but definitely overweight for my height. Just because i like eating. I like my grub. I'l admit it. Thats the first step.

You dont need a clinic to get up and do some excercise. Again excuses.

So you admit. Go do something about it. Simple really.

Excercise and eat healthy. Slowly but surely you will see results.

The major problem we have in this country is the notion of "normal" weight.

Ah sure a few pounds over is grand, etc...

Its not get up and sort it out before it gets out of hand.

• Advertisement

Im not sure if 95% is accurate but this is the only HSE obesity clinic in the country, people are referred by their GP's from all over the country and have to wait in excess of 2 years to get an appointment. Nearly all the patients are super morbidly obese.
    The reason I say that is just to show that its a good varied population to look at and probably well represents obesity in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Maybe I dint make myself clear. If you need drastic weight loss you do need a doctor (not necessarily a GP but you may need referal). im not talking about dropping a bit of weight for your holidays. There is a very real risk of people starving themselves even if they are obese because they just stop eating, do not eat right etc.

A family member had to do this. Doctor put them on a stave diet with a vital vitamin and nutrient supplement twice a day.

After 3 days the person started to lose weight very fast. But the person was under strict supervision by the doctor. The doctor said that the body starts to use its own fat reserves after a few days of no food . It was big lose, very quick.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    A family member had to do this. Doctor put them on a stave diet with a vital vitamin and nutrient supplement twice a day.

After 3 days the person started to lose weight very fast. But the person was under strict supervision by the doctor. The doctor said that the body starts to use its own fat reserves after a few days of no food . It was big lose, very quick.

Iv heard of this, where they on a milk diet with vitamin shakes etc?
    Did they manage to keep the weight off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Nope your quite wrong but as the next quote says it isnt the be all and end all....however...

...however most fat people are fat and not pure muscle so the BMI is a decent guide.

He's not quite wrong at all. The BMI may be the most frequently used method of assessing weight but it is deeply flawed. The BMI, for example, underestimates the levels of obesity in women. As I said, hip-to-waist ratio is probably a better indicator for heath problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I've been fat ever since I can remember. I have a very low metabolism. I eat just as much as anyone else does in a day, I've even received the odd comment from people I've known for years who don't understand how I'm fat and never eat more than them. I'm actually eating considerably less than the average person now (on a diet for the past 6 months) and I've done exercise everyday and I've only lost 30 pounds. Apparently the average male my age can loose twice that if they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'm overweight and have always been regarded as blocky. Occasionally I get a sneer from non-national ,east-european body builder types ,but to be honest if all you've got is your looks ,you travel light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I'm overweight and have always been regarded as blocky. Occasionally I get a sneer from non-national ,east-european body builder types ,but to be honest if all you've got is your looks ,you travel light.

Just sneer back at them for taking our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sure fat lads dont really give a damn if someone calls them fat, its the girls that go insane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just sneer back at them for taking our jobs.

DERKA DERB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Plenty slag fat people - don't get the "We're not allowed" stuff. Constructive criticism of unhealthy lifestyles - I don't see a problem with that, but why would you want a sense of entitlement to bully?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

You can slag off fat people if you like. Wouldn't do it myself but whatever floats your boat.

This though...
    Darlughda wrote: »
    Are you that desperate to find some group in society that you can despise or deride?

How insecure and fúcked up are you?

Just because it is a popular notion to despise overweight people, and somehow 'justify' this nastiness by saying its their own fault, the truth is its not as black and white as that.

The fact that you have a problem with this shows what a desperate character you must have scrabbling for a hate group, to feel better about your pathetic existence.

What is your daily diet like OP?

How much drink to you honestly have each week?

I am slim, by sheer luck, not through effort, discipline, good diet and excercise. I know many others who struggle with being overweight and they are very careful with their diet and excercise regularly.

I am sick and tired of seeing overweight people being abused by people, because somehow its considered acceptable.

How much excercise do you take?

Why haven't you given up cigarettes?
    Nothing but self righteous horseshít. And a load of thanks for it? Pffft.

Welcome to modern Ireland. Where people are just dicks.

You dont need a clinic to get up and do some excercise. Again excuses.

So you admit. Go do something about it. Simple really.

Excercise and eat healthy. Slowly but surely you will see results.

The major problem we have in this country is the notion of "normal" weight.

Ah sure a few pounds over is grand, etc...

Its not get up and sort it out before it gets out of hand.

So have you lost loads of weight in the past or something.

By the way what the hell are talking about? I never said i needed a clinic. I think they're a load of bollox. Im a few pounds overweight not morbidly obese.

Don't punish honesty by using it as a platform for a rant.

Display a bit of experience about something your advising on before you start lashing out the buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

BMI is pointless. Anyone with a muscular build is considered overweight. One of my friends is extremely fit and muscular. His BMI is in the obese category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

The OP is right, I just gave up smoking but when I did smoke the amount of comments from overweight people about how smoking would kill me was unreal.

Well forgive me if I roll my eyes because i'm sure the huge amounts of crappy food you eat and the cupful of salt you put on every meal are doing you the world of good....

(I'm not applying that all overweight people eat huge amounts of crap food and salt but some of the do-gooders who went on and on at me about smoking did)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Looks like someone can dish it out but can't take it. My heart bleeds for you, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

So have you lost loads of weight in the past or something.

By the way what the hell are talking about? I never said i needed a clinic. I think they're a load of bollox. Im a few pounds overweight not morbidly obese.

Don't punish honesty by using it as a platform for a rant.

Display a bit of experience about something your advising on before you start lashing out the buzzwords.

What buzzwords did I use there?? Pretty simple english really.

And no I havent lost loads of weight in the past because.....I dont need to I eat healthy and excercise at least 4 days a week, be it running, cycling, swimming or whatever.

And as for BMI being flawed as the next post says. Yes we've established its flawed. Its not a perfect method but most people who need to loose weight are not body builders or even people have a bit of muscle for that matter. They are fat people. Not muscle. Fat.

BMI can be used as a decent indicator of somebodys healthy weight.
    However its not perfect.
    To be honest most fat people should just take a look in the mirror. A good long hard look and then they should really see it themselves.

If your grabbing at your waist and you can get a good hold theres something up.
    If you have to keep buyin bigger trousers theres something up.
    and if you bloke says he's diggin your love handles seriously theres something up........

yes your weight.

And no I havent lost loads of weight in the past

Then don't talk about things you don't know anything about as though you've been there, you understand. You don't.

Its like someone who's never smoked advising someone else on how to give up the cigarettes. In nutshell, they're talking through their hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The BMI is the equivilent of wetting your finger and sticking it in the air, it's not really an essential part of any method of weight lose but it probably makes people feel like they are doing something. lol

The simple truth is, excess weight is obvious, you don't need a number or a doctor to tell you it's there.

What people need is good, proper information and, to be honest, a lot less people spreading myths and rumour on the internet.

We have had more than a few in this thread alone!

I'll agree, the BMI is not a million miles off for the majority of people, it's just that the job it does can be done a ****e side easier by just looking at someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Because it's just not a nice thing to do:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because it's just not a nice thing to do:(
    Pretty much nails the answer to the OP's question.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement