Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

If I'm p!ssed I won't get served a pint at a bar yet McDonalds are still allowed to serve morbidly obese people . Explain that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

fabbydabby wrote: »
    If I'm p!ssed I won't get served a pint at a bar yet McDonalds are still allowed to serve morbidly obese people . Explain that.

A morbidly obese person isn't likely to die by going on a binge whereas a pissed person can get alcoholic poisoning in one night. A morbidly obese person isn't likely to attack a random passer by whereas a pissed person can. A morbidly obese person isn't likely to hurt themselves whereas a pissed person is. Food doesn't have an affect on your mental capacity whereas alcohol does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

fabbydabby wrote: »

When you're pissed you're not of sound mind and body and are unable to responsibly decide for yourself. When you order a burger one would assume you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Oxenhandler

I beg your pardon. I am fat and like it very much. It keeps me warm in winter. It provides cushioning when sleeping or sitting (two of my favorite activities). I am twice as large as most men. My enormous size makes me feel powerful and confident. I think it gives me a psychological advantage over other men. Most would be afraid to cross me. Because of my enormous girth, women are more likely to notice me. I often find them looking at me. On public transportation I wait until the bus is ready to pull out before getting on and choosing my seat. I look for the prettiest lass and squeeze in beside her. I enjoy eating and look forward to every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I beg your pardon. I am fat and like it very much. It keeps me warm in winter. It provides cushioning when sleeping or sitting (two of my favorite activities). I am twice as large as most men. My enormous size makes me feel powerful and confident. I think it gives me a psychological advantage over other men. Most would be afraid to cross me. Because of my enormous girth, women are more likely to notice me. I often find them looking at me. On public transportation I wait until the bus is ready to pull out before getting on and choosing my seat. I look for the prettiest lass and squeeze in beside her. I enjoy eating and look forward to every day.

OP here. More power to you I say! (As long as you are truly happy and not either in denial or taking the piss) I feel the same about smoking to be honest. And it wouldn't faze me when people criticise it or me for doing it (though having the same conversation, often with the same people, gets a bit tiring).

I'd assume you wouldn't be affected or offended if it was socially acceptable to ridicule fat people and discourage their lifestyle, though, since you're fat and proud? (Of course I don't mean if you're ridiculed in an overly-cruel, demeaning way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Obviously we are or else this thread would not be on its 13th page.

Hmmm, 13, eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Look at the thread on Mary Harney..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

I think it is safe to say that slagging very fat people while in a a fast food outlets is OK but not just generally on the street.

Also in greasy cafes. And cake/bun shops.

leggo wrote: »
    OP here...

I'd assume you wouldn't be affected or offended if it was socially acceptable to ridicule fat people and discourage their lifestyle...

Sorry, just popped an indian pudding into the oven; milk, molasses, sugar, corn meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt. Down side is it's a three hour bake. Ah, but I've lard and flour, baking soda, sugar and raisins. I'll whip up a bread!

Ah...ummm...no, I would be affected but not necessarily offended. I mean, there's no hiding it. Once ridicule is sanctioned, in steps the government. I would not want to be rationed at Tesco's - "Sorry mate, only raw fruit, vegies and skim milk for you..." They'd make it a crime to provide refined carbohydrates to anyone whose body mass index is twice the recommended amount. There could be no end to it.

Rather, I advocate for including the obese under the civil liberties statutes that make it illegal to discriminate on the grounds of race, color, creed, gender or sexual preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I remember when my nephew was ill and on steroids he ballooned and got terrible stick off the other kids. His mom got stared out of it daily. I don't blame them cause he was a lump but it was medication and did sort itself out within a few months.

I assume there can be similar scenarios with adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Deriving pleasure or satisfaction from making fun of someone's perceived physical shortcomings is sad as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Interesting point OP. I agree. I personally wouldn't say something just to be mean to someone, but if people make no effort to help themselves i.e. continuously eating, then why should they deserve sympathy?
    I hate people who bring slagging upon themselves and then feel sorry for themselves. You have to conform with the "norms" to a certain extent or you're just going to stick out and be laughed at. Sad but true.
    (Also thinking of people who dress/act deliberately stupid to be "different" and then feel sorry for themselves and try to get sympathy. If you're confident being fat or whatever then it won't bother you).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I don't know about you guys, but I blame the fat in the food for people being fat. There wasn't that much there 50 years ago...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1348504/Fitness-fanatic-goes-size-10-18-weeks-pituitary-gland-tumour.html

It seem to me that is not always excess of food related issue.Would never slag off a fat person, simply because I don't judge a book by it's cover.I'm a fitness junkie myself and it never crossed my mind to give a stick to any fat person.Why judging anyone by apperance?

off the topic

I know what smoking too many cigs would do though;)

http://djwanker.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/1-ugly.jpg?w=450&h=350
    :pac:

Come at me, lad!?

BSr1g.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Interesting point OP. I agree. I personally wouldn't say something just to be mean to someone, but if people make no effort to help themselves i.e. continuously eating, then why should they deserve sympathy?
    They don't necessarily deserve sympathy, just not to be treated cruelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

firstly who's stopping you?

&

Secondly - About a year ago I was in a chipper in town grabbing sum food! :D as I went outside I saw a quite a heavy lad just about to go in and a Thin cheeky looking guy outside (who was eating a large garlic mayo cheesey chips at the time :rolleyes:)
    said out loud infront of like 20+ people who were outside waiting for taxi's "Hey Fatty where you going? Leave some food now for the rest of us" I looked at the heavy lad could see that his feelings were pretty hurt but he just went in and ordered some food less than 1 minuet later I hear "Fuk this" and the heavy lad went out flying past me and proceeded to kick the living **** out of the cheeky lad outside he then slammed him onto the concrete HARD! he then picked up the large garlic mayo cheese chips and plopped it onto his head :D Hilarious stuff and went back into the chipper to collect his food.

Lesson learned- Fat people are generally bigger than you and some freakishly strong, calling them fat may get your ass whopped.. :D

^ love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Because some people think fat=curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

double GG wrote: »
    Because some people think fat=curves.

I've yet to see a cube shaped fat person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've yet to see a cube shaped fat person.

Bonzai fat people.

leggo wrote: »
    I'm highly aware that this might hit a nerve...if it can find one. But why the **** aren't we allowed ridicule fat people?

I write this after hearing a funny clip on Loose Women where they were 'congratulating' some bird on getting a gastric bypass. Well done...you paid money to pretend you hadn't eaten. But whatever. The host turns around and says, "Well can I get a round of applause for never getting fat in the first place?"

I'm a smoker (and no bodybuilder myself either for the record...I'd be open to the odd slagging no doubt) and every day I hear "You're doing it to yourself", "You're going to die young" and so on.

But say that to a fat person and, woah betide, **** hits the fan.

If anything we should be jealous of them. I love Domino's. I wish I had eaten as much of it in my lifetime as they have.

Just a thought.

You were well-known for being overweight in school. I should have exploited that I guess.

.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Fat because genetics, rare disease, psychological reasons, childhood abuse, food type availability, influence from fat parents... I'm sure I've missed a few other reasons.

Is there anyone out there that is fat just because they eat too much of the wrong stuff and exercise too little? Acceptance is the first step and all that, cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think I've ever heard any fat person say it's genetic and they can't help it etc - think that's more of a thing that's said on soap operas and comedy shows. This notion that no fat person will admit it's because of too much food is just that... a notion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

IMHO its because people get fat because of their emotions. Its a "feelings" thing. They feel sorry for themselves, and eat / be lazy for comfort. They come up with all the excuses in the world, but thats what it boils down to. And if you slag an already emotionally fragile person, your comments will be multiplied 100 times!!!

If you had a broken leg, you wouldnt continue walking around on it!

Dudess wrote: »
    They don't necessarily deserve sympathy, just not to be treated cruelly.

What's treating them cruelly? Now that I've read this thread I've realised: what is the difference between telling a smoker cigarettes are killing them and telling a fat person McDonald's is killing them? Or telling a smoker they're getting horrible yellow teeth from cigarettes and telling a fat person they're letting themselves go by eating so much.

It is actually the same thing. It's not mean for one, so it shouldn't be seen as mean to the other.

Saadyst wrote: »
    Fat because genetics, rare disease, psychological reasons, childhood abuse, food type availability, influence from fat parents... I'm sure I've missed a few other reasons.

Is there anyone out there that is fat just because they eat too much of the wrong stuff and exercise too little? Acceptance is the first step and all that, cop on.

Actually, most people just let themselves go. Especially women after they've had children. They just don't get back into shape and eat more. Also men get beer bellies etc. There's no excuse other than laziness. No every fat person has a psychological problem.
    Also, just because people's parents ate unhealthily doesn't mean their children have to be. Once you get to being a teenager and start noticing your weight, most people make the decision to not overeat and be healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What's treating them cruelly? Now that I've read this thread I've realised: what is the difference between telling a smoker cigarettes are killing them and telling a fat person McDonald's is killing them? Or telling a smoker they're getting horrible yellow teeth from cigarettes and telling a fat person they're letting themselves go by eating so much.

It is actually the same thing. It's not mean for one, so it shouldn't be seen as mean to the other.

Nope not the same at all.

You need food to survive, while you most certaintly don't need smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Nope not the same at all.

You need food to survive, while you most certaintly don't need smoke.

You don't need to eat mcdonalds every day to survive, quite the opposite actually.

Advertisement