Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nope not the same at all.

You need food to survive, while you most certaintly don't need smoke.

True, but you don't need to gorge beyond your means either.

Being fat and smoking are shìte for your health. You ask a smoker and a fat guy to run a mile and the both of them will collapse in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Duggy747 wrote: »
    True, but you don't need to gorge beyond your means either.

Being fat and smoking are shìte for your health. You ask a smoker and a fat guy to run a mile and the both of them will collapse in no time.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea for Channel 4 programme hosted by Noel Edmonds and Jeremy Clarkeson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

because everyone is beutiful in the eyes of the lord even fat people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Being fat and smoking are shìte for your health. You ask a smoker and a fat guy to run a mile and the both of them will collapse in no time.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea for Channel 4 programme hosted by Noel Edmonds and Jeremy Clarkeson.

A great show that would be. You could have different teams. The Alcoholics, the chain smokers, the junkies and the Clinically Obese.

They would be whipped along the race route. Fastest times win, points are lost for cardiac arrest, losing consciousness or vomiting blood. Contestants stopping during the race to be beaten until they set off again.

Good television and good cardio-vascular exercise for all involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

because everyone is beutiful in the eyes of the lord even fat people

What about Marty Morrissey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

i heard this said before (think it was on a show about an obese man)

he said

"Imagine being addicted to something that keeps you alive, being addicted to something you need to live. How successful do you think an alcoholic would be if he had to have a bit of drink every day, or a drug addict if he had to have a bit of crack every day"

true words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

macquarie wrote: »
    You don't need to eat mcdonalds every day to survive, quite the opposite actually.

I never claimed you did, I was merely pointing out that smoking and over-eating are not a good comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

J K wrote: »

A great show that would be. You could have different teams. The Alcoholics, the chain smokers, the junkies and the Clinically Obese.

They would be whipped along the race route. Fastest times win, points are lost for cardiac arrest, losing consciousness or vomiting blood. Contestants stopping during the race to be beaten until they set off again.

Good television and good cardio-vascular exercise for all involved.

I'd say the alcoholics would fare the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

These "fat bashing" threads are getting old.

People should take a long, hard look in the mirror before they start slagging off anyone, be them fat, skinny, white, black, ugly or stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You were well-known for being overweight in school. I should have exploited that I guess.

Ah yeah, I got horrible grief in school for it. As a result, I started running and got skinnier! I wouldn't call myself an oil painting or after picture (others can if they want though!)...but yeah, I think the abuse was just about the best thing that ever happened to me. Nice one for proving my point. I'd forgotten about that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

People who are more than a little over weight should have to pay more Tax on all the food they eat, paying 3 times as much for it might slow them down pity it wouldn't be possible :pac:

Why aren't we allowed shag fat people?

Yakult wrote: »
    Self-fucking-control.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Darlughda wrote: »
    Are you that desperate to find some group in society that you can despise or deride?

How insecure and fúcked up are you?

Just because it is a popular notion to despise overweight people, and somehow 'justify' this nastiness by saying its their own fault, the truth is its not as black and white as that.

The fact that you have a problem with this shows what a desperate character you must have scrabbling for a hate group, to feel better about your pathetic existence.

What is your daily diet like OP?

How much drink to you honestly have each week?

I am slim, by sheer luck, not through effort, discipline, good diet and excercise. I know many others who struggle with being overweight and they are very careful with their diet and excercise regularly.

I am sick and tired of seeing overweight people being abused by people, because somehow its considered acceptable.

How much excercise do you take?

Why haven't you given up cigarettes?
    Interesting that people who 'thanked' this post also 'thanked' the idiotic original post.

I admit, I sighed when I saw 'yet another fat thread'. Get over it. Granted there's nothing acceptable about being obese, or 20 stone and such, but at 2 stone over weight, people are made feel like they are outsiders. It's not the end of the world. I'm healthy. I'm not a size 8, but I'm feckin healthy. I don't impede on you in any way. I don't give out about smokers, or ridicule them.

Monife wrote: »
    These "fat bashing" threads are getting old.

People should take a long, hard look in the mirror before they start slagging off anyone, be them fat, skinny, white, black, ugly or stupid!!
    Especially if you are the last one and posting such a thread!

Interesting that people who 'thanked' this post also 'thanked' the idiotic original post.

I admit, I sighed when I saw 'yet another fat thread'. Get over it. Granted there's nothing acceptable about being obese, or 20 stone and such, but at 2 stone over weight, people are made feel like they are outsiders. It's not the end of the world. I'm healthy. I'm not a size 8, but I'm feckin healthy. I don't impede on you in any way. I don't give out about smokers, or ridicule them.

Try walking behind an overweight person on a narrow path when you're in a hurry, most frustrating thing ever!

Sacramento wrote: »
    Try walking behind an overweight person on a narrow path when you're in a hurry, most frustrating thing ever!
    Say 'Excuse me' and pass them by?
    Can imagine the same frustration would be caused by someone walking hand in hand with someone else, or an old person or whatever.
    You're clutching at straws. Short ones.

Can imagine the same frustration would be caused by someone walking hand in hand with someone else, or an old person or whatever.

That's a good point. Next thread: "Why aren't we allowed slag ***** who hold hands on footpaths?"

I'm not trying to start a fight, i'm just having a laugh. But what to do if the fat person has earphones in? If you tap someone on the shoulder when they aren't expecting it they'll get scared. When your stuck behind some purely because they are fat it is a bit annoying. But generally, I was trying to just make a joke. Don't be so sensitive, your level of sensitivity is annoying, and is associated with overweight people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

leggo wrote: »
    I'm highly aware that this might hit a nerve...if it can find one. But why the **** aren't we allowed ridicule fat people?

Er, because you have hopefully left the playground bully mentality where it belongs......in the school playground.

Why do grown ups still feel the need to slag anyone's appearance? Just concentrate on your own appearance and stop worrying about how others look.

Ah here lad, that was a tongue not a burger in my cheek when I wrote that.

EVERYONE'S open for slagging in some way or another. Jaaaaaysus there's endless material out there for people to get me (as these mysterious figures from my past seem to be bringing up). As long as it's not malicious what's the harm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

gcgirl wrote: »
    I just think people are way too jugdemental if I wanna be fat so be it if I wanna get rode bareback so be it if I wanna do every bloody illegal drug so be it if I wanna listen to jedward so be it if I want to shave my head so be it if I want to be a atheist so be it
    My body my rules I'm sick of people preaching to others when they should cop on and look after there own ****

I agree. People can and should be allowed do whatever the fcuk they feel like.

HOWEVER: As a society we tip-toe around weight too much. We are told that you are beautiful no matter what. That we should embrace our body just the way it is because we're all perfect and beautiful and created in the image of God (I'm pretty sure for one that Jesus wasn't rockin' around 2000 years ago with a massive bucket of KFC under his arms, weighing in over 400lbs). Women especially are fed two extremes in the media: either be ridiculously skinny or you're worthless, or "embrace your curves! You're beautiful just the way you are! If men don't love you for being 5 times the weight they are then they're just shallow". People (strangers!) often come up to my cousin and say shít like, "OMIGOSH you're so skinny, it's weird/disgusting/ridiculous" but if she ever went up to an overweight person and said, "OMIGOSH you're so fat, it's weird/disgusting/ridiculous she'd either send them running off with tears or they'd be trying to kill her. Or maybe they'd be defending themselves saying they're big-boned/it's genetic/they're curvy like Beyoncé (who, for the record, is definitely not overweight and certainly not obese). Good body image is one thing, self delusion is another.

If you're morbidly obese, and you don't want to be morbidly obese and you don't enjoy being morbidly obese, then get off your lardy arse and do some exercise, eat at a caloric deficit (of healthy food that is. No point stuffing yourself with pure chocolate just because it's the right amount of WeightWatchers points or whatever) and drink lots of water. For the vast, vast majority of fat people, that's it. There's no magic tricks. There's no fast track, easy way about it. There's no special pill that will suddenly *poof* the lard away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Fat People.....

.......are hard to kidnapp;)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I'm not trying to start a fight, i'm just having a laugh. But what to do if the fat person has earphones in? If you tap someone on the shoulder when they aren't expecting it they'll get scared. When your stuck behind some purely because they are fat it is a bit annoying. But generally, I was trying to just make a joke. Don't be so sensitive, your level of sensitivity is annoying, and is associated with overweight people.
    I AM sensitive about it because it's CONSTANT. I'm not MASSIVE but because I have/had a few extra lbs I was made to feel like I twas a total freak!! If you had a big nose, or a pointed chin, and that was ALL that people every commented upon continuously, then you might see where I'm coming from. The girl on Operation Transformation really hit a nerve with me; she said that ONE negative comment can stay with you forever, and you end up repeating it over and over again in your head. A throwaway comment to some people can be a lifetime burden on others. May sound silly to you, but until you've walked in those shoes, please don't judge. Secondary school was NOT kind but I expected that from teenagers. Grown up adults should have more cop on really. A joke you say? I didn't see anyone laughing at it. Joke = FAIL.

Knowing AH, I should probably expect a 'Why sensitive people are annoying......' thread........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - I tend to find that fat people are usually the target for a lot of cruel jokes and opinions. So I wasn't aware of any moratorium on such behaviour, when was this imposed? The fact that such subject matter concerns you, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Who said we cant slag off fatties! I do ALL the time, I have no problem when they slag me back for being skinny!

Being a pig / racisit / sexist is slagging but not being able to accept it back.... if it works both ways then its just a f**king laugh.

:D All the people defending the fatties here, are now fatties in the eyes of the rest of after hours. :D

I AM sensitive about it because it's CONSTANT. I'm not MASSIVE but because I have/had a few extra lbs I was made to feel like I twas a total freak!! If you had a big nose, or a pointed chin, and that was ALL that people every commented upon continuously, then you might see where I'm coming from. The girl on Operation Transformation really hit a nerve with me; she said that ONE negative comment can stay with you forever, and you end up repeating it over and over again in your head. A throwaway comment to some people can be a lifetime burden on others. May sound silly to you, but until you've walked in those shoes, please don't judge. Secondary school was NOT kind but I expected that from teenagers. Grown up adults should have more cop on really. A joke you say? I didn't see anyone laughing at it. Joke = FAIL.

I'm ginger. :p

So am I*!!! Imagine the slagging now!!

* I'm not really. Although............... :)

Hey look, I can take a joke too. Majority of time I'm poking fun at myself! Plenty to poke hey ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Id say the reason is simply so we are not a society of horrible people.
    People , yeah, huge obese people who do nothing about it, and make it worse, its ok to let them know its not healthy, but people take ridicule so far.
    Overweight people have very heigh depression rates. You need some self esteem to be motivated to loose weight.

If your big would you really want people to see you sweating and panting in a gym as you try to get fit?
    If you never had an issue with weight its hard to see how difficult it it.

Advertisement