Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't we allowed slag fat people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

Yes you are right.

It's not entirely people's fault their fat, it's more society's fault.
    Far too much food like processed meals/buscuits/cakes/take aways/fizzy drinks are too readily available in the Western world. This stuff is fat more addictive and sweeter than real, natural food. Little to no preperation time is needed for this stuff too, which is also key. It's this ****e food which causes the glandular thing in the first place, combined with the increasing levels of stress throughout the Western world.

Until society changes and there will always be fat people.
    Sad really.

No that "its society is to blame" is rubbish too. People need to be accountable for their own actions and stop blaming the society we live in.

Its OUR choice what we eat. My mam wanted us to eat healthy growing up so she cooks fresh. And it actually takes the exact same time to prepare something from scratch instead of processed rubbish. She doesnt buy fizzy minerals anymore. Maybe once every few months the deep fat frier comes out from the press and is used once. not every night.

I used to work in a shop. It was ALWAYS the fat people whose shopping baskets were stuffed with packets of cookies, pringles, 2x2lt of coke, processed food in their daily shop etc etc. And you would get a smell of grease from a deep fat frier from some of the customers because thats what they cook with every single night. Another trend was fat parents having fat kids. Giving them a fiver a day to buy sweets in the shop etc.

Ive friends in their 20's who are fat who buy a 6 pack of tayto and 2lt of coke going to a mates house to watch a dvd and have for themselves. My friends who are fat never go for a jog or do any exercise for that matter. Ive one friend who is 21 and rarely walks anywhere, he plays poker online every day and his mam drops him to the shop in her car which is 300m up the road. And yes it does bother them that they are massive but they are just too lazy to do anything about it. And also its not in their dna as they would have brothers who would be in decent shape because they eat well most of the time and do a bit of exercise.

And yes we all fall into bad eating patterns. like most of my mates I put on around 3 stone during college from drinking and eating crap all the time. But When i was finished I went on jogs every day and lost that weight. I didnt blame the "society we live in" about it. People in the western work love hiding behind things and blaming things for their problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's treating them cruelly?
    Being verbally abusive to them, humiliating them.
    Now that I've read this thread I've realised: what is the difference between telling a smoker cigarettes are killing them and telling a fat person McDonald's is killing them? Or telling a smoker they're getting horrible yellow teeth from cigarettes and telling a fat person they're letting themselves go by eating so much.

It is actually the same thing. It's not mean for one, so it shouldn't be seen as mean to the other.
    And I didn't suggest that that's what constitutes being cruel. Then again, I'm not sure I'd agree with people lecturing others on their lifestyles, unless they ask for it of course. It's not like they don't know they're endangering their health. It tends to be the case that a smoker, when advised of same unsolicited, responds with "I already know that"/"It's none of your business" and in some ways they're right.
    Then again though, I don't think there's anything unreasonable about a family member/friend taking them aside and advising them they're worried about their health.
    Actually, most people just let themselves go. Especially women after they've had children. They just don't get back into shape and eat more. Also men get beer bellies etc. There's no excuse other than laziness
    I'm not singling you out, but I think that's unfair - no way are mothers (and fathers) of small children overweight because of laziness. And re overweight people in general: while yes, much of the time it is laziness, it's definitely psychological in certain cases, in the same way that abuse of alcohol/drugs is.
    HOWEVER: As a society we tip-toe around weight too much. We are told that you are beautiful no matter what. That we should embrace our body just the way it is because we're all perfect and beautiful and created in the image of God (I'm pretty sure for one that Jesus wasn't rockin' around 2000 years ago with a massive bucket of KFC under his arms, weighing in over 400lbs).
    I don't know whether I'd believe that's all that prevalent. I certainly believe it exists but I don't think many take it seriously, only Oprah/Loose Women watchers and Women's Own readers.
    I don't think we tip-toe around fatness at all - seems to be open season on fat people tbh.
    Women especially are fed two extremes in the media: either be ridiculously skinny or you're worthless, or "embrace your curves! You're beautiful just the way you are! If men don't love you for being 5 times the weight they are then they're just shallow".
    I agree that those two conflicting messages are pushed, but only the skinny one is the one people seem to take on board.
    People (strangers!) often come up to my cousin and say shít like, "OMIGOSH you're so skinny, it's weird/disgusting/ridiculous" but if she ever went up to an overweight person and said, "OMIGOSH you're so fat, it's weird/disgusting/ridiculous she'd either send them running off with tears or they'd be trying to kill her.
    Yep, it's shocking how bitchy some people can be to thin people. In the same context, nobody would dream of speaking about a person being fat. That doesn't mean overweight people don't get abuse in other ways though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't know whether I'd believe that's all that prevalent. I certainly believe it exists but I don't think many take it seriously, only Oprah/Loose Women watchers and Women's Own readers.
    I don't think we tip-toe around fatness at all - seems to be open season on fat people tbh.

I've really noticed the opposite. Sure, online people seem to slag the living shoite out of fatties, but in the real world no-one ever says anything remotely resembling abuse. Except for my mother (and it's her prerogative as my parent to try to encourage me to be healthy), no-one's ever said anything to me about my weight. I've always been pretty chubby, but in the last two years I put on an extra 2 and a half stone. When I told some friends that I was taking up running and losing the weight (FWIW I need to lose about 55 lbs to be at a decent weight for my height), they were all like, "But you don't need to! You're not fat at all! You're fine the way you are!" I mean really, if that's not a picture of a society brainwashed into believing that overweight is normal, then I dunno what is.
    I agree that those two conflicting messages are pushed, but only the skinny one is the one people seem to take on board.

Not entirely true. There's a lot of self-delusion in the world today. For years I told myself, "Ah but you're only a wee but chubby [read: 2 stone overweight], it's fine. Sure that's normal isn't it." I swallowed all the "fat is just curvy" bullshít, and I'm not the minority there either.
    Yep, it's shocking how bitchy some people can be to thin people. In the same context, nobody would dream of speaking about a person being fat. That doesn't mean overweight people don't get abuse in other ways though.

I know, but the fact that people wouldn't be half as bitchy or mean to fat people as to skinny rakes just shows that we tip-toe around the topic of being overweight far too much.

It's interesting. Maybe it boils down to the individual's experience? My experience as a teen was the opposite to yours: I was slim - no hips, skinny legs, flat arse, but I did have boobs, and my stomach wasn't as ironing-board flat as Kate Moss's... so I started to believe I was fat. And I was extremely harsh on myself. As a result, I now just feel sympathy towards fat people - it's probably condescending of me, but if I felt crap about myself when I wasn't anywhere near fat, being really overweight (apart from for those who aren't bothered by it) must be miserable. Very few people want to be overweight, very few people make the choice to be so. I know doing what it takes to lose weight is straightforward, but it must be very, very hard.

It's interesting. Maybe it boils down to the individual's experience? My experience as a teen was the opposite to yours: I was slim - no hips, skinny legs, flat arse, but I did have boobs, and my stomach wasn't as ironing-board flat as Kate Moss's... so I started to believe I was fat. And I was extremely harsh on myself. As a result, I now just feel sympathy towards fat people - it's probably condescending of me, but if I felt crap about myself when I wasn't anywhere near fat, being really overweight (apart from for those who aren't bothered by it) must be miserable. Very few people want to be overweight, very few people make the choice to be so. I know doing what it takes to lose weight is straightforward, but it must be very, very hard.

Interesting point, but I think it's entirely in the mind. Whenever your mind deems that your body is "too fat", whether that's at a healthy weight, or 10lbs overweight, or 50, or 200, you're just as miserable. When I finally copped on and decided to lose the flab it was because my self-delusion had been strained to breaking point. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore and kid myself that I was "just a bit chubby". I may as well have weighed 500lbs, because it was how I felt. It's entirely possible that someone else can kid themselves for far longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Interesting point, but I think it's entirely in the mind. Whenever your mind deems that your body is "too fat", whether that's at a healthy weight, or 10lbs overweight, or 50, or 200, you're just as miserable. When I finally copped on and decided to lose the flab it was because my self-delusion had been strained to breaking point. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore and kid myself that I was "just a bit chubby". I may as well have weighed 500lbs, because it was how I felt. It's entirely possible that someone else can kid themselves for far longer.

Agreed, it's only when you start to lose some serious weight that you begin to realise just how much flab you were carrying.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Agreed, it's only when you start to lose some serious weight that you begin to realise just how much flab you were carrying.

That's true :P I got some measly 2.5lb dumbbells a few weeks ago, and when I tested it's weight I found it a bit heavier than I expected. I did the math and worked out how many of those dumbbells I'd have to strap to my body at a healthy weight for me to weigh as much as I do now, and I was pretty shocked :eek:. I just thought, "Well, this can't be good..." :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know, but the fact that people wouldn't be half as bitchy or mean to fat people as to skinny rakes just shows that we tip-toe around the topic of being overweight far too much.
    True, but now you're a non fattie :) it's all too easy to become like ex smokers, holier than thou about it all.

Though I would agree that its a lot more acceptable to lambaste or even just comment about skinny people, especially publicly and to their face.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    True, but now you're a non fattie :) it's all too easy to become like ex smokers, holier than thou about it all.

Though I would agree that its a lot more acceptable to lambaste or even just comment about skinny people, especially publicly and to their face.

En route to being an ex-fattie more like :P. I'm not suggesting that we go around roaring at overweight people to do put the pies down and do some jumping jacks, but I wish people wouldn't try to sugar-coat obesity either.

Like I said earlier, I believe in free choice. If someone decides to eat a lot and move very little, and they're happy with that then good for them! But if they're not happy with the consequences then there's no use just wishing things were different, they actually have to work (and work damn hard) to make a real lifestyle change. It is difficult to lose weight because the body is designed to hold onto excess energy in case of food shortages, but it's entirely possible. Once the fattie decides to stop swallowing media bullshít that it's not their fault and it's genetic/curvy/beautiful/what-a-real-woman-looks-like and to take real action, then we're getting somewhere.

The one thing I despise is people who make nothing but excuses yet bemoan at every opportunity and do nothing but merely wish everything was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

You are all Fat Bastards.

• Advertisement

Toast is very fattening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Drinks plays a MASSIVE part too. Especially in Ireland.

My metabolism is all over the gaff (well it was when I was younger...it seems to be stabilising now) and I randomly fluctuated back and forth. Never obese or skinny, mind, just tubby or trim.

I remember I lost the weight I had in school about 18...then began drinking heavily every weekend at 19ish. Boom...ballooned! Even though my diet was fairly solid (because I was in training at the time).

I gave up the booze for a year when I turned 21 and lost two stone in a couple of months. It's the slimmest I've ever been. And I wasn't even dieting or hitting the gym with any kind of consistency then.

Just a thought. Don't say I never do anything for our plus-sized friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

You are all Fat Bastards.
    Wow. That's a beneficial comment. What a brilliant post. Where would this thread be without comments like that?

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Wow. That's a beneficial comment. What a brilliant post. Where would this thread be without comments like that?

Grow up.

Why did you thank him??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

leggo wrote: »
    Why did you thank him??
    I didn't?!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I love this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

OP

Fat People Rock
    Fat Smokers Rock
    Fat Lesbian Dwarf Smokerrs Rock
    Fat Lesbian Dwarf Smokers with bizzare attitudes on the sexual habits of donkeys also rock (mostly to the left)

Goddit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

leggo wrote: »
    Drinks plays a MASSIVE part too. Especially in Ireland.

My metabolism is all over the gaff (well it was when I was younger...it seems to be stabilising now) and I randomly fluctuated back and forth. Never obese or skinny, mind, just tubby or trim.

I remember I lost the weight I had in school about 18...then began drinking heavily every weekend at 19ish. Boom...ballooned! Even though my diet was fairly solid (because I was in training at the time).

I gave up the booze for a year when I turned 21 and lost two stone in a couple of months. It's the slimmest I've ever been. And I wasn't even dieting or hitting the gym with any kind of consistency then.

Just a thought. Don't say I never do anything for our plus-sized friends.
    What makes it worse is the eating after drinking. I remember I stopped that years ago when I actually sat down and went through the amount of crap I was eating at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

Smokers are acceptably ridiculed. They are killing themselves.

Overweight people are unacceptably ridiculed. They are killing themselves.

They both deserve the same kind of harsh social slaggings.

1 in 5 kids in Ireland are obese.

Save the future. Your killing yourself and setting a VERY bad example for the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭worded

Mind44 wrote: »
    Cause they're all allergic to da fruit and veg.

Salad dodgers I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Because all PC Authoritarians are fat!

(This has probably been posted already, but I'm too fat, and therefore lazy, to trawl through all ye minions' previous witterings. Thank you and goodnight, you skinny f****rs)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭worded

Sergeant wrote: »
    Yes, there is more fatty and processed food than there used to be. But no one is under any obligation to eat it. Just because biscuits, soft drinks, fast food are readily available doesn't mean anyone is being forced to indulge in it.

This thread is making me hungry, boards will be responsible if I put on any weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Toast is very fattening.

Do you eat toast 24/7 and when you are finished have some more toast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

I've never known someone who overate with an ulcer in the mouth or stomach. Bloody painful to do so, and I can't see how it would relieve the pain by further irritating the site of inflammation.

Sorry, this isn't just an excuse fat people use, I lived with a slim guy whose ulcer symptoms were relieved by eating food.

Plus, there's lots of info on-line about it. Google is your friend.

I'm like you, when I had ulcers, eating caused more pain, but even then I knew it was different for other people. :cool:
    By inflaming the stomach? I find that entirely unlikely. In any case, when did eating ever relieve heartburn? Drinking an antacid, perhaps. But eating?

The advice for many is to either eat or take an antacid. Seriously, look it up and stop being so incredulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Wagon wrote: »
    You can slag off fat people if you like. Wouldn't do it myself but whatever floats your boat.

This though...

Nothing but self righteous horseshít. And a load of thanks for it? Pffft.

Welcome to modern Ireland. Where people are just dicks.

Its okay. I bet all the thanks were from fat people!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Eye for an eye imo.

Met a guy there recently that I hadn't seen for a few years. His first comment (as if this was socially acceptable behaviour) was something about the amount of weight I'd put on since he'd last seen me. In return I casually made some pointed and similarly rude personal comment about his receding hairline and how little hair he had for somebody his age. Wasn't nice and I wouldn't ever make a comment like that but if somebody is gonna be rude to my face, I see nothing wrong with being rude straight back.

He didn't mention my weight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

since when were fat people not slagged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

not allowed make fun of the physically impaired? pull the other one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

itsgrand wrote: »
    Smokers are acceptably ridiculed. They are killing themselves.

Overweight people are unacceptably ridiculed. They are killing themselves.

They both deserve the same kind of harsh social slaggings.

yeah but we don't look gross. i pull swathes of hot chicks, when i light up. even had to cut down; too much!! that deserves some harsh social envy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aquarius girl

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough not to be over weight also.
    I don't ever find the need to slag over weight people though.

As stated above, it can be a sickness, would you slag someone with say Downs Syndrome, or some one in a wheel chair?
    i think its a fair bet that his one brain cell has died of lonliness...

Advertisement