Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anybody gotten into film making?

• 19-01-2011 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

I remember when news came out that Canon were going to throw in a video recording feature into their SLRs there was uproar from the die hard photographers. (I don't f*kin know why:confused:)

Now that a year or so has passed, and many of you probably own the new generation SLRs, have ye dabbled at all in the art of film making?

I just saw the most awesome movie trailer... filmed on a Canon 550d. It really makes me want to run out and buy one! Watch it, it's amazing what they can do with a 500euro camera. (and lots of post processing of course...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

yep, since getting the Canon 5dii I've done quite a few video based projects. the composition and lighting skills are still similar to still photography but it is a whole new world to explore

http://www.aaaphotos.org/videos.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Don't forget that although they used a 550D chances are the glass could of costed possibly 10 times that, and all the equipment, tripods (possibly lighting) and the hours of editing that went into it.

I was looking into it a while ago and a lot of the pro using lenses which might be 20-30 years old and then they fit a custom mount for their camera.

Sound is another big thing too, It was probably recorded with an external professional sound recorded and then they were merged together in editing.

Saying that, if/when I have enough money I'm probably gonna' try and pick up a 60D/600D just for the video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Don't forget that although they used a 550D chances are the glass could of costed possibly 10 times that, and all the equipment, tripods (possibly lighting) and the hours of editing that went into it.
    Shot on the Canon T2i/550D
    Canon 55-250mm IS
    Canon 18-55mm IS
    Canon 50mm f 1.8

Doesn't seem like they were spending big for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I got the Canon 7D last year and love the video function. I haven't used the camera as much lately but I shot some stuff at festivals last Summer to edit together a video of the experience which has been cool to look back on, and fun to make now that I have software that can easily edit it all together.

I've shot a handful of funny music videos for a friend which can be viewed on his youtube page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I've always been interested in videography but never had a HD cam of my own... I broke that duck with a 550D last April and have done a few vids in the meantime, mostly kayaking and a bit of timelapse/fun stuff:

http://vimeo.com/channels/89846

Love my 550D, am going to invest in a loupe and a rack focus mount so I can use my 70-200L more effectively!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Ricky91t wrote: »

I was looking into it a while ago and a lot of the pro using lenses which might be 20-30 years old and then they fit a custom mount for their camera.

Sound is another big thing too, It was probably recorded with an external professional sound recorded and then they were merged together in editing.

Saying that, if/when I have enough money I'm probably gonna' try and pick up a 60D/600D just for the video!

They used the most basic kit lenses. The sound was recorded with one of those Zoom H4 mics.

Also I think the 550d would be better than the 60d for video as it is compatible with some new open source firmware called Magic Lantern which adds a ton of features. Magic Lantern is not compatible with 60d or 7d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Solarina

That Trailer is really good, Ive seen some reeeally nice things filmed on dslrs, it's great. Ive been meaning to properly use the video function for a while now, I won a 500D a few months ago, and would have sold it for the precious pennies I badly need... except I have this niggling hope I can use the video for something good!

Course then I broke it for a few months and just forgot about it. Two weeks ago I tried to film again for the first time, just a really simple idea and only maybe 2/3 minutes of overblown footage, edited it together reeeally badly in photoshop (didnt have premiere pro it turned out!) and... yeah thats about it. Theres nothing to it, but I'm glad I got my feet wet!

How do I make it embedded?? The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBmR2NU0kKo anyway, Ugh, Im useless.

Anyway, Was thinking of approaching musicians, maybe asking for a song or piece of music and trying to film something for it... just for practise... hmmm...

Music mainly because dear god you cannot use the sound the 500D records if you manually focus! The sound of the wheel turning is like a dinosaur slurping beside your camera, it's insane!

That's pretty good for a first try! What would you call those types of short films where it's just music over random scenes?

Here's another video from the same guys, same type of thing as your video, music over scenes of Haiti. The music is way too epic though but there are some great shots in there.

Solarina wrote: »

Anyway, Was thinking of approaching musicians, maybe asking for a song or piece of music and trying to film something for it... just for practise... hmmm...

Music mainly because dear god you cannot use the sound the 500D records if you manually focus! The sound of the wheel turning is like a dinosaur slurping beside your camera, it's insane!

Fixed your link.

I asked someone I know in a band I really like if they would be up for this and I've not heard back. I got really excited when I came up with the idea of doing it but no feel like a prat. They've nothing on youtube so thought maybe they'd appreciate something being made so I offered to film them soundchecking and a live performance to edit into whichever song they chose. Experiment for me which may be beneficial for them. Hopefully they do get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

It looks great and no doubt very popular, but its still not for me.

My camera hasn't got the function, but I wouldn't get a new one based on its film capabilities, no more than I base my phone choice on its inbuilt camera.

Call me odd, but I still see that a phone is for ringing people, a camera is for taking photographs and a camcorder is for filming stuff. Its great to see changing functionality and the combination of technology opening new doors, but I like my hobby the way it is! :p

And, God for bid, if my wife were to find out that my camera could be used to record film - there goes my holiday/Sunday walk about/trips anywhere fun! My memory cards would be full of home video, I wouldn't have the space for photographs. And if I complained!!! :D

• Advertisement

I understand your train of thought but I think it's a great addition. If you use it, use it, if you have no interest then get a camera that's not as expensive that has same specs but no video functionality.

I wouldn't have bought a video camera but bought the 7D as I wanted a new/upgrade camera and the video was enticing me as a combination. Best of both worlds now. I now have a video camera which takes footage that looks far more professional than any of my family member's home videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Solarina

Mmm, I agree. The 5Dmk2 for instance is still just as good if you don't use the video function, but it's a great addition if you do.

The phone comparison I agree with, I'd always use the simplest phone - I just want to text&ring, I don't want email or photos or videos,

And in this instance, it was a camera (500D) that I was lucky to win so it wasnt something I chose purposefully (though I would now possibly!)

Also, the quality can be so good! The ability to put a gorgeous lens on it and film, as an add-on to a DSLR you already use as a camera - comparing it to a camcorder of similar price.... the quality just isnt the same I don't think!

Whenever Ive used camcorders, it really feels a world apart from photography; the focus is clunky and the colours are off... (obviously not using a high-end camcorder, just your average one) ... so I really like actually using the same tool as I would to take photos, sort of makes it a lovely and easy transition. More accessible too.

The process (especially considering how little time you can record for cards/batts) is very much 'moving photographs' I think than it is 'home movies', does that make sense?!
    Fixed your link.

I asked someone I know in a band I really like if they would be up for this and I've not heard back. I got really excited when I came up with the idea of doing it but no feel like a prat. They've nothing on youtube so thought maybe they'd appreciate something being made so I offered to film them soundchecking and a live performance to edit into whichever song they chose. Experiment for me which may be beneficial for them. Hopefully they do get back to me.

Ah that sucks, same thing happened to me actually when I first got the camera (before it broke for months) and I was disappointed at the lack of interest! But I guess it makes sense, you need to prove yourself first, give them a reason to be enthusiastic!

I have friends I could ask for songs, but I like the idea of asking a stranger - would be more like a commission you know? A Challenge to get it right and something that they use/like...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

What software is everyone using, Ive a 7D, Ive recorded some decent footage but I havent started editing yet as all I have is the very limited imovie software ... anyone any recommendations for a middle of the road type editing software package?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I got the Canon 7D last year and love the video function. I haven't used the camera as much lately but I shot some stuff at festivals last Summer to edit together a video of the experience which has been cool to look back on, and fun to make now that I have software that can easily edit it all together.

I've shot a handful of funny music videos for a friend which can be viewed on his youtube page.

Very well done....I lol'd...looks great ...song is errrr funny:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

after seeing some of the examples here and videos on youtube, I'd love to start doing this! but sadly I use nikon, and it's an older model the D200 without video :(

Trigger76 wrote: »
    What software is everyone using, Ive a 7D, Ive recorded some decent footage but I havent started editing yet as all I have is the very limited imovie software ... anyone any recommendations for a middle of the road type editing software package?

I got a mac last year and use iMovie which is easy enough and quick to throw little things together. A friend has Final Cut and it's amazing what can be done. For instance little things like slowing down footage that you filmed at more frames per second. On iMovie it is still jerky but it's professional and amazing looking when slowed down on Final Cut.
    Solarina wrote: »
    Ah that sucks, same thing happened to me actually when I first got the camera (before it broke for months) and I was disappointed at the lack of interest! But I guess it makes sense, you need to prove yourself first, give them a reason to be enthusiastic!

I have friends I could ask for songs, but I like the idea of asking a stranger - would be more like a commission you know? A Challenge to get it right and something that they use/like...

I've friends in bands but problem is one of them is a very good photographer/videographer so my services would be deemed redundant. Anyone who has seen my photo posts on boards knows my main focus is music, so getting into filming musicians would be right up my alley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

stetyrrell wrote: »
    after seeing some of the examples here and videos on youtube, I'd love to start doing this! but sadly I use nikon, and it's an older model the D200 without video :(

You can do the same, actually, better, with a dedicated HD-camcorder. They can be got for fairly cheap these days.

there's video on my D90 but, tbh, it's too fiddly for my liking. Without external mics you get bad noise when manually focusing [which you have to on this model] - It's only useful on a tripod, pre-focused, where you don't need to change ... anything!

I would never buy a dslr based on it's video capabilities.

Some nice work in this thread though, but again, could all be done with a HD-handycam.

Just watched them there, pretty funny shtuff! Was the Butter Poo song really filmed on a 7d? If so, how is the picture quality kind of... crappy? Some of the scenes looked like they were filmed on a phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You can do the same, actually, better, with a dedicated HD-camcorder. They can be got for fairly cheap these days.

there's video on my D90 but, tbh, it's too fiddly for my liking. Without external mics you get bad noise when manually focusing [which you have to on this model] - It's only useful on a tripod, pre-focused, where you don't need to change ... anything!

I would never buy a dslr based on it's video capabilities.

Some nice work in this thread though, but again, could all be done with a HD-handycam.

I personally wouldn't buy a camera because of it has video either, I just think it'd be an awesome thing to try out if I had it. For music video's or documentary's etc.

0verblood wrote: »
    Just watched them there, pretty funny shtuff! Was the Butter Poo song really filmed on a 7d? If so, how is the picture quality kind of... crappy? Some of the scenes looked like they were filmed on a phone!

Butter Poo wasn't a 7d but a handheld video camera. None of those videos are 7D. My friend had a 500d originally and upgraded to a 550D for the others we made in the last year like S.H.A.N.N.O.N. and the Priest video.

There were intentions of using the 7D for videos after I got it but not yet.

• Advertisement

Right. It's just the way you phrased your last post that got me confused... what software do you use to edit the video?

He edited them together with Final Cut on the Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Not really. Maybe a high end camcorder with interchangeable lenses and a 35mm adapter, but there's nothing comparable at DSLR prices. The Canon 5D II is used a fair bit in TV now. The season finale of 'House' which is the most popular TV show in the world was filmed on 5D's recently. The film Black Swan which is out now was partly filmed on the 7D and 1D mark IV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

daycent wrote: »
    Not really. Maybe a high end camcorder with interchangeable lenses and a 35mm adapter, but there's nothing comparable at DSLR prices. The Canon 5D II is used a fair bit in TV now. The season finale of 'House' which is the most popular TV show in the world was filmed on 5D's recently. The film Black Swan which is out now was partly filmed on the 7D and 1D mark IV.

one of my ambitions for 2011 was to do a bit of video - im a Nikon man , d 300 , was going to trade it in for one with video (7,000) - think i may hang on to the 300 - thers no doubt Canon are better served on video front - so i may take Cageys advise

Advertisement