Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bali

• 19-01-2011 5:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

So I arrived in Bali late last night, went for a walk to see what it was like and took a few pics on my way back from the hotel, which by that time everything was shut so I had no landmarks to go by and spent 2 hours walking in circles. Didn't shoot a whole lot, just seeing shots I'll want to take while I'm here.

Here's 2 anyway. More to follow for sure.

5369186144_4a442289b5_z.jpg

5368556221_df6b15bbfc_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

really like the 2nd one, love the B&W...

Argh, so jealous, I have MAJOR itchy photography feet going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

So today I was up at 6:30am!!!! :eek:

It rained out the whole morning with a few dry spells in between. That scuttled any chances of renting mopeds and exploring. Probably good I catch up on rest today though.

The downpours here during rainy season are unreal. Out of nowhere and heavy as hell.

5370072842_4439dc9b43_z.jpg

5369196219_444f0a582a_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

It's a long time since I've been there, and that was before my camera days! In many towns there are good markets / night markets which would be good for photography. If I recall, the town of UBUD had a great night market and we eat there a few nights. there is a church or chapel there which is overrun with monkeys which would let you get very close.

I like the b&w street repair / workers shot a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I am very strict on photographers who I class as Photographers, #4 saved you!
    I know you have far more in the locker...
    Also a little story how u ended up there and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Have you a blog for your trip ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

You don't like no 3? I do... Maybe some of the darkness from the left side could be cropped out and you'd have a very nice, unusual portrait-shaped pic?

I've been shooting way more on my 35mm cameras so I'll have to wait to get those dev and scanned befor eI can put them up.....and come one....I've only been here 24 hours and its been raining!!!! :p

A few more from the past day or two....wish I didn't crop her feet about on the first one. It's all I can see in the photo...or can't see.

5375116038_7ddb196f52_z.jpg

5373343238_d8c891f7c2_z.jpg

5376891733_511f23bd49_z.jpg

5373951313_cca9ea7e12_z.jpg

5374530742_de32e62087_z.jpg

5374516942_9b00452b41_z.jpg

5374438496_e557d8b5ac_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

This time of year ( January ) is increadibly hot and humid in Bali .Last time i was there was in August 2008 ,and it was a bit cooler ,and with little rain .
    Here are some photos i took to add to your collection ,

Indonesias main beer ,
    SANY0049.JPG

SANY0073.JPG

SANY0102.JPGSANY0117.JPG

SANY0168.JPG

SANY0173.JPG

5377535682_08e47154ce_z.jpg

5379561814_8dc0ef9afd_z.jpg

5379533372_d02b45c0d0_z.jpg

5378895739_c607b2669a_z.jpg

5379599978_885d4219f3_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Some really great stuff here well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Do you get permission and give payment to shoot people's photographs. As a social anthropologist, I feel that it is an insult to people's and their culture to do this without permission. What will you be using the photograph's for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

bmarley wrote: »
    Do you get permission and give payment to shoot people's photographs. As a social anthropologist, I feel that it is an insult to people's and their culture to do this without permission. What will you be using the photograph's for?

*sigh*

Stunning photos, Pete. Really stunning :)
    Looking forward to seeing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Just so I know .... are you representative of social anthropolgist everywhere?

By the way your explotative user name offends me.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

As a lover of english grammar, I feel that your post is an insult to apostrophes everywhere.

As a street photographer I feel that it is an insult to myself and my beliefs to be asked this. What will you be using your social anthropology for? Why the hell are you even in the photography forum....stick to the social anthropology forum if there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

If you have problems with the morality of street photography why don't you start a thread to discuss it. Rather than sniping at someone in their own thread, and in a forum you don't seem to be a regular contributer to. A bit of intellectual honesty wouldn't go amiss if you want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Why? Do you think culture should be paid for? Like a product? On a shelf? Or more like a prostitute?

I don't really see why you being a social anthropologist has anything to do with the OP paying people to pose. If anything you should be wanting people in their natural environments without pay to see social grouping and symbolic behaviour without having to pay people to do so. Or you're just a troll.

Great work Pete, keep it coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

To add to what has been said above; once you start paying for something it becomes "a show", very quickly
    the authenticity will be lost and you will have to rely on the work of guys like Pete to see what it was originally.

I really like your work pete4130, keep it up!

for the record, I did give these kids about $1. They are homeless, sent out to beg/sell trinkets and sleep on the steps of shops on the streets everynight. Very very sad.

5383203706_6f06b0173b_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

OP just putting up Photos is a little dry ,good and all as they are .Could you give us a little back ground of how you ended up in Bali ? Your views of the Country etc .
    About needing permission ,anyone on any public street is fair game to be photographed .

5386960267_790e20b5e3_z.jpg

5386946815_f614b1c50c_z.jpg

5386970529_b1bae564a7_z.jpg

5386952925_4eab097815_z.jpg

5386923331_81cb3fc5f7_z.jpg

5387543076_3356156c6b_z.jpg

anto2 wrote: »
    OP just putting up Photos is a little dry ,good and all as they are .Could you give us a little back ground of how you ended up in Bali ? Your views of the Country etc .
    About needing permission ,anyone on any public street is fair game to be photographed .

I'm here for 2 weeks to relax before moving to Australia for a year or two while on career break. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, its very cheap but the people are poor. There's a fair bit of sex tourism here too sadly. It's hard to walk the streets without being offered something. I'm staying in the massive touristy area which gets a bit tiring with everyone pushing stuff on you the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

What did you use (cam/lens/film?) to take those latest batch of photos you posted? Lovely stuff.

Thanks jpb, means a lot coming from you! They are all on a (somewhat broken, self repaired) Canonet QL 17 (mk1) with the 45mm lens. The slowest film I can get here is 200 so I've got Fuji Superia, wait...thats a lie. I did see 100 ISO film under a brand called "Lucky" but I've no idea how good or bad it would be.

I'd love to have some Kodak Portra 160 to use though. The scans aren't the greatest at all here, I'm surprised I can even get my negs scanned!

On the plus side, a roll is only €2 and dev & scan is only €2.16...so I'm literally going a bit snap happy not having to worry about the cost of it all.

Dev'd in Kodak chems AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Thanks jpb, means a lot coming from you!

Shucks... :o

Great that you can get them dev'd and scanned locally too.

Lovely stuff... I am jealous.

As a lover of english grammar, I feel that your post is an insult to apostrophes everywhere.

Is that the best you can come up with?

pete4130 wrote: »
    As a street photographer I feel that it is an insult to myself and my beliefs to be asked this. What will you be using your social anthropology for? Why the hell are you even in the photography forum....stick to the social anthropology forum if there is one.

Sorry did not mean to insult you and your beliefs and realise I have done that. I wasn't in the photography forum at all but saw a reference to "Bali" under "new posts" category and thinking I would get information about Bali as a travel destination clicked into it.

If I was using my social anthropology (which I am not at the moment), I would do an ethnography of a region I had chosen and would try to show an accurate account of that society under specific areas, through photos and other evidence. I think people should always be asked for permission to have their photographs taken and it is arrogance to think otherwise.

Recently, I brought a group of teenagers out diving at a local river. A group of American tourists on a day out thought it was okay to take photographs and were snap happy. The teenagers themselves did not welcome this and wondered why strangers would want photographs of them. Photographing children in childcare/education sectors is never permitted without the written permission of parents.

Having said all that your photography is good and probably gives us an accurate image of street life in Bali. Enjoy your adventures.

5389892780_8311976469_z.jpg

5389298633_0836b9be15_z.jpg

5389308517_445260dcc5_z.jpg

5389315675_c375e3145d_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok, so the past few days, I've been surfing, trying to go paragliding to shoot some photos form the air but mainly I've been renting motorbikes and just driving off in a random direction for hours on end and seeing where I get to. No map, no idea where I am or how to get back. I came across lots of paddy fields and sort of went overboard on them. All these are shot on the Yashica T5 (which sort of disappointed me compared to usual) or the Canonet QL17 (which is yet to disappoint...apart from the time it broke and I had to take it apart).

5393037824_3b799afe7e_z.jpg

5393043506_23dd25a71b_z.jpg

5393058580_ea80773a7c_z.jpg

5393063232_8b692c8126_z.jpg

5392477541_b92cc1887b_z.jpg

5392486643_1a2787102c_z.jpg

5392490219_324c71264e_z.jpg

5392500317_2296671050_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

pete4130 wrote: »
    I'm here for 2 weeks to relax before moving to Australia for a year or two while on career break. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, its very cheap but the people are poor. There's a fair bit of sex tourism here too sadly. It's hard to walk the streets without being offered something. I'm staying in the massive touristy area which gets a bit tiring with everyone pushing stuff on you the whole time.

If you are there for two weeks, don't spend them all in Kuta - Head inland to Ubud or up the north of the island.

Even better, get off Bali altogether, head over to Lombok and from there you are just a short hop from the Gilli Islands, pure and utter relaxation awaits you!

I was up inland to Ubud and to Butar volcano and all around the north east of the island. trying to weigh up whats good and whats within budget is the problem. Kuta sucks in all fairness. Lots of people, lots going on and lots of crap to go with it. Tourist central!
    Have been thinking of Lombok too. I'll see how my time/budget works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Some really cracking shots there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Love the "family" ones : Lady with the 2 kids on the shop's front step, and the one with the baby 3/4 turned.

Advertisement