Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with someone who's been there and done that...

Options
  • 19-01-2011 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey, currently living and working in a fairly remote part of Australia with my GF at the moment. Obviously I would like to check out all of the east coast as well as New Zealand at some stage. The problem is that my GF lived in NZ for a while and then backpacked around Oz & Asia SE. She wouldn't mind revisiting any of these places but I'm pretty sure that it would become one long trip down memory lane for her. We stopped off in Singapore on our way over here (she was there before) and it really wasn't enjoyable for me - she kept going on about her previous visit to the extent that I'm cautious about putting myself in that situation again. Advice? Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Why does it bother you that she recants her previous visits? Did she travel with an ex and keeps referring to him or something? Does she know it bothers you?

Plus, im sure she hasnt seen ALL of Australia, its a pretty big place. So you have a few options:

1. Avoid places she has already been to and see other stuff
    2. Use her previous experience to judge where to go/where to avoid. Could be very helpful. e.g. Port Agusta. *Avoid at all costs* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

To be honest, the places you visit are half about who you see them with - that's what makes it an experience. I'm sure she's looking forward to showing you places she's been before and sharing them with you. Also, sometimes places have a different effect on you when you re-visit them because you have changed since you last were there.

Really - I don't think it's a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I've done a decent amount of travelling/ back packing myself, and a few times i've revisited places.....by and large, i'd say there is a bit of a thrill to visiting a place a first time that I didn't get a second time.

On the other hand.....

If its a city, there is always new stuff to see. For example i;ve been in Bombay a few times, and Bangkok a few times....i'd definitely visit either again....

And if you're saying she has backpacked in OZ and South East Asia before......its not like saying she has been through Clare and West Kerry before.....thats a pretty big area. Surely there are parts of both regions she hasn't been too?

If anything, I'd say if this led you to visiting some of the more obscure or remote places in South East Asia then that could be a very good thing.....for example has she been to Yunnan in China? The Phillipines? Bangladesh? Laos?

Advertisement