Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overlimit items charges(BOI)

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭

hi guys looking for opinions on this.

i went overdrawn this week and have just been hammered in overlimit charges but the way they did it was underhanded in my opinion.

ill round the figures to make it easier.and ill invent the transaction names for ease.

i had approx 500 euro in my account.
    i made a few transactions leading up to the weekend and they all appeared on my 365 online account . they have " laser 10.00" but you know yourself after a few days the actual name of the place you purchased will appear ie" tesco 10.00"

right anyway...................i made 7 or 8 transactions on wednesday/thursday/friday (petrol,chinese,tesco,hmv,easons,schuh).all of these transactions were for small money and by friday i had about 50 euro left.my car loan comes out by direct debit every month on the 16th (or the next monday if the 16th is a weekend).this week the 16th was a sunday and the 17th was a monday.so monday morning the car loan gets debited and i go overdrawn by 147 euro.(fine i have no issues with this or the charges it incurred).however i got charged a 10 euro overlimit item charge for all the other transactions because they didnt get "processed"(they were taken from the account but their names didnt appear) until the monday even thought thay were all made with enough funds in the account at that time. i had over 80 quid in charges added.some of the transactions were for little more then a tenner but incurred a tenner charge.its a bit hard to take.

ive banked with them for 10 years now but i think enough is enough.

do you think i have any right to get these fees waived(i accept the car loan one).but this retrospective processing of transactions in a creative order so as to further make me overdrawn is unacceptable. they basically took the car loan first so that overdrew me and then subsequently processed everything else even though they were purchases made up to 5 days before the car loan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really tbh. It's not when you make the transactions, but having funds in your account to cover them when they are processed that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

The idea behind this charge is that the person designated to look
    after your account has to make a decision on whether to pay or not
    to pay the items presented. Thus, the time taken to determine this
    decision is charged to the customer per item.

This charge is discretionary. i.e you could get part of this charge refunded,
    but it will depend on your relationship with your bank.

If I were you, I would ask to speak to who looks after your account,
    outline the fact that some of the transactions were under a tenner and
    see if you can negotiate a reduction. No harm in trying but in these
    times you may be barking up the wrong tree.

Interestingly, if one did this in France(making payments from an account
    that would put you outside your agreed limit) you would be charged
    36 euro per item and could be prosecuted!!

Irish bank charges are not so bad in comparison ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TBH if you had an account up North and you went over your overdraft limit, you'd be charged 40 pounds.

Advertisement