Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the most accurate speed test?

• 19-01-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I'm trying to determine my broadband speed to see if I am eligible to work from home.

With irishisptest I got 5.55MB download and 1.63MB upload.
    With speedtest.net I got 2.51MB download and 1.55MB upload.
    With broadbandireland.ie I got 1.29MB download and 938kbps upload

These are huge variations. I'm using Vodafone wireless, based in rural Wexford.

Which is correct?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you're using Vodafone wireless (as in the mobile dongle) then speeds will vary constantly anyway.

I'd trust Irishisptest's results at those speeds but you should repeat them regularly (every hour or so) to get an idea of how the speed changes over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FiveFingers

Thanks bhickey. I'm monitoring the speeds every hour.

A question. With speedtest.net, which server should I be testing with? The one nearest to where I live or the one nearest to the office that I will be communicating with.

thanks,
    FiveFingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

no speed test is accurate
    it will depend on distance and server load.

there is a way that you could get an fairly good idea of you download speed
    though by download this linux iso (disc image)
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.2/FreeBSD-8.2-RC2-i386-disc1.iso

and watch you speed this will give you a good idea how fast your download speed is

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

dunworth1 wrote: »
    no speed test is accurate
    it will depend on distance and server load.

there is a way that you could get an fairly good idea of you download speed
    though by download this linux iso (disc image)
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/8.2/FreeBSD-8.2-RC2-i386-disc1.iso

and watch you speed this will give you a good idea how fast your download speed is

I second that! A file download from a local ftp site is generally the best way to get an idea of your true DL speed in kilobytes/megabytes!

Advertisement