Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Binoculars

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I was reading some old threads and people talked about buying a pair of binoculars from lidl's special offer. These binoculars only cost €20 and people seemed very happy with them. I think lidl offers on these only comes around once a year. Is there anywhere online that similar deals can be found?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Not sure where they can be got elseswhere. (But you could try eBay)

I have had a few sets: 2 x Bresser, 1 x Rocy Mountain(?)

The Rocky was more expensive but the Bresser clearer.

I'm not sure how you'd check it, but try and make sure collimation is ok. (My Bressers are fine but the Rocky Mountain....)

I haven't figured out how to adjust these binoculars yet so they may not be adjustable for collimation.

On a trip you'll easliy make out Jupiter's moons with the Bressers.

Clear skies,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

If you are prepared to spend 40-odd quid and are near Dublin this guy is importing them directly from China:

www.lgd.ie

He has several for sale on adverts.ie
    I bought the 15x70 Porro ones and could see at least 2 moons of Jupiter last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's a good price but would 15x70 be a good size for starting off with? I have heard something smaller like 10x50 would be much easier to hold still.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Remember that you can make a primitive but effective "monopod" using a length of timber (2x1 or the like). Just cut it to about the same length as your height and rest the binoculars on the top. Much more stable than holding them freehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭petergdub

I was propping myself on my elbows while watching and the view was shaking slightly.
    I guess my heart / blood vessels were causing the tremor.
    I didn't want to sacrifice power.

Look the bottom line is that money is no longer a consideration for binoculars.
    The Chinese are now manufacturing quality binoculars cheaply.
    They are doing to binoculars exactly as they did to the world of trampolines (remember when they were an expensive commodity?).

That's a great suggestion about the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Looking at getting affordable binoculars for a bit of sky at night viewing.
    Read up on the sticky about binoculars and 10 x 50 seem suitable, don't want the hassle of a tripod with 15 x 70.

The Strathspey has level 1 coatings which seem to be the lowest level and the Bresser are fully coated which seems to be the norm for low end priced binoculars.
    Would that be a reason to choose one over the other?
    I probably would'nt notice the difference anyway.
    Not bothered by the price difference in the two below.

Paid for a pair already on a irish site only to be told after waiting a couple weeks and enquiring when they be delivered that i will not be getting them and i be refunded, funny feeling i won't be :rolleyes:
    Know i'm not breaking the bank with the price :D Just want something half decent to look up into the sky with and for someone in the know to choose one or the other.

Which pair of these would you recommend.
    I looked up on Strathspey and seem reputable to deal with and buy from even though site is very basic looking and the owner seems respected on astronomy sites.

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/
    Oberwerk stock these in the US.
    €52 including delivery.
    10 x 50
    Specifications
    Magnification 10x
    Objective lenses 50mm
    Prisms BAK-4
    Coatings level I
    Body Length 18cm
    Finish rubber armour
    Field of view 6.75 degrees
    Exit pupil diameter 5mm
    Weight 0.6kg
    Tripod mountable Optional L bracket

10 x 50 Bresser in The Royal Observatory, Greenwich, brother lives close by so easy to collect and send to me.
    €40 including delivery.
    I know Lidls stock these from time to time but i believe it's pot luck in quality when they get them.
    Prism system: Porro BAK 4
    Lens coating: Fully multi coated
    Field of view: 7º/367 ft. @ 1000 yds
    Exit pupil: 5mm
    Eye relief: 12.7mm
    Weight: 925g (30.0 oz)
    Colour black
    Length (mm) 192
    Weight (g) 705
    Surface material Rubber armouring

Advertisement