Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Japanese Recipes

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thanks for that. I've just been using bottled teriyaki and I would drink the stuff! Now I can make my own! Recipes online varied quite a bit, so good to have a tried and tested one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

One note Twee: the amounts listed above for the sauce would probably serve 4 easily, I had a fair bit left over, which I've popped in a bottle for another dinner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Anyone have any interesting fillings to go along side chicken for sushi rolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Anyone have any interesting fillings to go along side chicken for sushi rolls?

I quite like avocado. I've made them by dipping sliced avocado in lime juice and nestling it with the chicken in my roll. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

reallyrose wrote: »
    Where did you get the dashi? What does it look like? Maybe I've just been walking past it in the asian market.

Saw some in the Asia Market on Drury St. - think they do them in smaller sizes too. They also have other Japanese ingredients there; I find them better than, say, Dunnes or Tesco's for these types of ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Saw some in the Asia Market on Drury St. - think they do them in smaller sizes too. They also have other Japanese ingredients there; I find them better than, say, Dunnes or Tesco's for these types of ingredients.

I found some. :D I bought an Official Asian Chef (tm) who helped me buy thing. All of the things.
    Now I just need to find the time to cook and I'll be all set!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

trackguy wrote: »
    I also have a salmon recipe called SAKE AMIYAKI GOHAN. Again it could be applied to any meat/ fish. The fish is just grilled and added to the plate at the end. Serve this with rice or noodles.

Heat oil in a wok until hot. Add 1 crushed garlic clove and 1tbsp of grated ginger. Immediately add 1 roughly chopped red onion and 1 sliced red chilli. Stir-fry these for 30 seconds. Pour in 500ml boiling water, 1tbsp of oyster sauce and 2tsp of light soy. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp of sugar. Bring to the boil. add in about 15 mangetout and cook for 1 minute. Add 1tbsp of sake and 1tbsp of sesame oil. Mix 1tsp of cornflour with a little water to form a paste. Add a few tbsps of yur sauce to the cornflour paste and mix until incorporated. This can now be added to the sauce in the wok. Simmer for 5 mins until slightly thickened.

Serve with your rice/ noodles and top with your chosen meat/ fish.

Made this tonight. Simple and very tasty recipe. The grilled salmon on top of the sauce works really well, leaving the skin of the fish nice and crispy. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

I made this Japanese Ginger Pork yesterday. F&E fast and easy:) I loved it.
    Ingredients

• For the base:
    • 6 g grated fresh ginger root
    • 30 ml soy sauce
    • 30 ml sake
    • 30 ml mirin
    • 455 g thinly sliced pork loin
    • 45 ml vegetable oil
    Method

1. In a large bowl, mix together the ginger, soy sauce, sake and mirin.
    2. Add the sliced pork, cover, and marinate for about 1 hour.
    3. Heat the oil in a skillet or wok over high heat.
    4. Add the pork, and fry until brown.
    5. The pork should have a dark crispy look to it.
    6. Do not cook on low or medium heat, as the juices will not cook fast enough to get a crispy texture.
    7. Discard leftover marinade.
    Whole recipe with photo is here: Japanese Ginger Pork.
    Have fun with it all and have a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

reallyrose wrote: »
    I quite like avocado. I've made them by dipping sliced avocado in lime juice and nestling it with the chicken in my roll. :)

Slices of mango are surprisingly nice with chicken. Aldi are having them as part of their super six veg at the moment.

Advertisement