Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eric Cantona - Director of Football

• 19-01-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/867893/eric-cantona-back-in-football-with-new-york-cosmos?cc=3436
    Manchester United legend Eric Cantona is making a shock return to the game as director of soccer at New York Cosmos.

The Cosmos are rising from the flames, with their eventual aim being to secure a place in MLS, and they are determined to make a huge impact. Chairman Paul Kemsley has recruited Cantona with the brief of assembling a squad capable of challenging for honours.

"I am very honoured to join the legendary New York Cosmos," Cantona said. "It's a big project, a wonderful project. The Cosmos are very strong, beautifully made, with a great past. It's kind of a mix between football and art.

"I will do everything I can to help us first find our way to regain the No. 1 position in the United States, and then for us to become one of the best clubs in the world."

Kemsley admits it is a dream come true to be able to recruit the former France international. He said: "Three years ago, when I first had the idea of reviving the New York Cosmos, I couldn't have dreamt we'd be able to attract an icon of the likes of Eric Cantona to the club.

"It's a personal thrill for me, as he was one of my heroes, and it is a further endorsement to the global attraction and power that the New York Cosmos carries."

The Cosmos were the flagbearer of the United States' North American Soccer League but they folded in 1985 after the league's collapse. Kemsley bought the naming rights and has Pele on board as club president.

Pele and Cryuff to dust off the boots next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

When are the Cosmos even entering the MLS?

This has "project" a distinct whiff of circus off it at the moment tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

next step United manager :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good news. Looking forward to hearing tales of Eric blowing his top with the Yanks and/or spouting more surreralisms. I hope all the years off haven't calmed him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Des wrote: »
    When are the Cosmos even entering the MLS?

This has "project" a distinct whiff of circus off it at the moment tbh.

They are looking at entering in 2 to 3 years. Most clubs that are new to the MLS are working on their entry a few years in advance.

Publicity stunt for a new Kung Fu film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

next step United manager :pac:

hopefully:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Cant wait for the press conference. I imagine it will be like some funky beatnik late night jazz/poetry club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Cant wait for the press conference. I imagine it will be like some funky beatnik late night jazz/poetry club.

Screen-shot-2010-12-17-at-11.51.48.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Xavi6 wrote: »

Pele is already involved as well as Chinaglia, Cobi Jones, Rick Parry, Beckham's pal Terry Byrne.

They are trying to recreate the Cosmos of the 70's that ultimately went out of business in the early 80's. They are targeting 2013 to join MLS as the second NY team and as a NY Red Bulls fan, I'm looking forward to a bit of rivalry. They're already have some youth teams set up playing in the local league and they're talking about creating an "All-Star" team composed of famous players and some from their youth teams to play a few friendlies this summer.

The have a lot of stuff to sort out first e.g. stadium funding, players etc. NY Red Bulls opened a beautiful new stadium last year but it took the organization only 14 years to get it done. The Cosmos might get away with playing at another stadium e.g. the Mets Citifield for a season or two at the most since MLS nowadays won't let teams in without firm stadium plans. So to me, for the Cosmos that is the biggest question especially in this economy.

You should try to download "Once in a Lifetime" which is a fascinating documentary about the old Cosmos. Trailer:

Advertisement