Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST WILD BROWN TROUT RIVER FISHING

• 19-01-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Dear All,

Where in Ireland has the best wild brown trout river fishing ?

I have fished the Corrib etc and enjoyed, but I much prefer river fishing. The majority of information regarding river fishing concentrates on salmon (which I have never fished for) and not brown trout.

I have Peter O'Reilly's book and he rates the Slaney ?

Cost would not be a problem, I just need the information !!!!

I've also heard that there are Chalkstream rivers in Ireland does anyone know who controls these ?

I would exceptionally grateful if anyone can help me out

Thanks

DrFrank

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Probably the Suir river has the best river fishing for brown trout in the country.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/south/suir.htm

The river suir_and its tributaries

http://fishhunt.ie/download/23/

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Download-document/46-River-Suir-Angling-Guide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I have caught a few 2/3 lb brown trout on the Blackwater (Cork/Waterford) while spinning for salmon.
    There is some very good brown trout fishing on the river Bandon in Cork.
    If you find out any info on chalkstreams you might post it up I would be interested in hearing about them I didnt realise there were any in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

@ drfrank, during the open season i get to fish on a number of rivers country wide and i also write a report on my outings to these rivers for my blog. These reports include weather conditions along with the fly life and flies i used on the day. All reports cand be found on -http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drfrank

Thanks for all the replies !!

I've the Suir at Clonanav and it was poor. In fairness the conditions weren't right....peak summer, very bright, very hot and levels very low. Still caught but not what I was expecting.

I would definately give the Suir another go, I'm based in Dublin so its not too far, are there any stretches that come recommended ?

I have read the irishfisher blogspot and you write very well. For those who have fished the River Wye in Derbyshire...that is what I am after, truly wild fish in spectacular surroundings, with superb hatches (including Mayfly). I prefer the smaller rivers so going on the Boyne scares me a little !!!!

Does anyone have any info on Chalkstreams in Ireland ? I would have thought they would be down towards Waterford due to the geology/geography of the UK ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

drfrank wrote: »
    I prefer the smaller rivers so going on the Boyne scares me a little !!!!

Some nice tribs of the Boyne might suit you. The Kells Blackwater on the larger end to something like the Stoneyford on the smaller side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I'm open to correction, but I don't think there are any chalkstreams in Ireland. If you are looking for small wild rivers close to Dublin, you can't beat the Kells Blackwater. 40mins off the M50 and 12 miles of river to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Kells Blackwater for me - lots of fish and biggest average size of any Irish river I've fished. Travelled up from Cork for a few days fishing there for the last two years.
    I've fished the Suir a good few times but only had maybe three really good sessions and most of the fish I've caught have been pretty small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭premiercad

For me the suir is the best, it's my home river so I would say that!:D its has miles upon miles of fishing from Thurles down to Carrick on Suir. Despite the abundance of Trout and fly life it's a tough river to fish at the best of time but there are some monsters there if your lucky enough to find them, my biggest last year was 3 1/2lb, but a friend of mine caught a 5lb fish. Late Spring early summer is best and your best chance of a big trout is the june late evening hatches. Like all big rivers it floods quickly and can be out of action for days on end. also the Little Brosna in offaly is a cracking little river too. My best advice is to ring up a few of the club secretaries about day permits and they will let you know water conditions etc. before you travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The cork blackwater is supposed to produce some lovely trout, down to the fact that trout fishing is neglected on it so much. Best Ive heard of is a 5 1/2lb trout a friend of my fathers took a few years back on the fly.

The Suir is the one alright that most anglers would say as the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Go to wgsten's blog.It's very informative with some great photos.It is probably the best blog I have seen with regard to river/fishing in Ireland.My plan for the season ahead is to fish the Kells Blackwater more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 drfrank

Thanks for the info guys !

I think the Blackwater it is then (Kells that is). Not too far from Dublin !

I've fished the Liffey (at Sallins) and had some super days, I've also had fish on the Dodder at Milltown, right in the centre of town.

I would definately be up for some dryfly action on the Blackwater come April if anyone is interested.

I've never fished wets on a river but I'm fairly comfortable czech nymphing/nymphing. My preferred method though has to be the dryfly (I'm a bit of a purist at heart).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

@ drfrank. You should try get to fish the Kells Blackwater when the Mayfly is on it. It gets a good hatch of the Mayfly which brings up some good fish.

Advertisement