Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest option for server for small office

Options
  • 19-01-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for an office with 3-4 laptops and 1 pc?

What's the simplist/cheapest option to create a server?

We have an eircom wireless router and belkin usb hub but belkin only allow 1 person access at a time to it's usb and we'd need more than that.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The 3-4 laptops and 1 pc should all be able to connect to the Eircom router and they would then all be on the same local network. Share some folders on the PC and that's you done.

What are you using the Belkin USB yoke for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

just to connect wirelessly to a printer from different computers

it can also host a usb key for memory storage but only allows access for one at a time

we were having difficulties setting up sharing of files with workgroups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

we were having difficulties setting up sharing of files with workgroups

So what have you tried and what was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

A NAS box hooked into the eircom router.
    The PC will need to get a wireless card or be always connected by a cable but the laptops should have wireless so they can connect directly to the eircom router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

bhickey wrote: »
    So what have you tried and what was the problem?

Was trying it this morning and got nowhere. Have a friend looking at it on Friday

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If it were me I'd get rid of the USB printer and HUB, and get one with ethernet or wireless. Even a 2nd hand one from adverts etc. I'd go wireless as then is so easy to move things around with out worrying about cables reaching the hub.

A NAS is handy but if the documents are important (business critical) I'd think I'd move it on to a PC which has regular backup scheduled.

A server could be some old PC with just a shared drive.

Advertisement