Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian hotel owners penalised for turning away gays

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

MrPudding wrote: »
    Publicising a potentially illegal policy does not make it ok.

Quite right. Merely pointing out that it wasn't something they came up with on the day as an excuse to turn away a same-sex couple because they were same-sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

christians have no right to hold non-christians to Christian standards. It is not our business to tell two consenting adults what they can and cannot do. The second they opened a B&B to the public they lost the right to dictate what was and wasn't acceptable in their house (within the law). I'm sorry, but that's the long and the short of it in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Seaneh wrote: »
    christians have no right to hold non-christians to Christian standards. It is not our business to tell two consenting adults what they can and cannot do. The second they opened a B&B to the public they lost the right to dictate what was and wasn't acceptable in their house (within the law). I'm sorry, but that's the long and the short of it in my opinion...

Well said. I see this case as being answered in two ways:

1) The Christian response, which I think happens to be summarised nicely above. If somebody isn't interested in my Christian morality then I don't see why they should have to adhere to it.

2) The civil response. This is the part I can't figure out because I don't know for sure that legislating in the name of tolerance isn't itself a form of intolerance. For example, I look at Frances decision to ban the veil as intolerance in the name of tolerance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gbee wrote: »
    an atheist with Buddhism and Scientology leanings.

I'd urge you to stay far, far, far away from the last part of that sentence...
    I'd love to talk to you and explain exactly why. Be very, very, very careful.

Advertisement