Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issues affecting Pace and Samsung Sky HD boxes since software update

• 19-01-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if people who have the above Sky HD boxes have noticed them becoming "sluggish" since the new / latest sofware update? By sluggish I mean when you change channel it can take about 10 seconds to change it! Also, when scrolling or using the EPG it can be painfully slow or unresponsive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Have noticed some changes. Like if flicking through the EPG it will stall then suddenly fly through the channels, also, when I turn on the sky my tv screen goes a blue/green colour for 3 seconds before sky kicks in, that never happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Plascebo wrote: »
    Have noticed some changes. Like if flicking through the EPG it will stall then suddenly fly through the channels, also, when I turn on the sky my tv screen goes a blue/green colour for 3 seconds before sky kicks in, that never happened before.

I get that as well! It's like it's grinding to a halt! Seems to be a problem in the UK as well going by the forums on digitalspy.co.uk.

Another update is needed to fix it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

A couple of times my sky hd box has frozen altogether, in the last few days. Had to unplug the box and leave for a few minutes, worked fine then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Remote record has stopped working for me since the update, both on the Sky and TV Guide apps.

Very sluggish to start in the morning when turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Plascebo wrote: »

Yeah I'm gettin that too....
    Did anyone ring in?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

OK, Good job I spotted this thread, My Pace HD box is totally f*cked since it took this upgrade, freezing playback, having to reset (plug out and leave for 5 mins) about 10 times a day.

It has been driving me mad and I was sure that it was caused by bad sectors on the hard-drive and I have done a planner rebuild several times but no joy, I am in the middle of getting rid of the last unwatched stuff onto the DVD-PVR before doing a full system reset which will wipe everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

I noticed a software update and since then the recordings on my sky hd box keep showing as unavailable. Requiring a power off and on to actually then view.
    As we cancelled recently with a switch off on the 2nd of Feb I was thinking sky were to blame. Looks like another update blunder.

Go sky (2nd of feb literally lol)

As a footnote the 21 minute call to cancel cost €1.91 - I wont be calling to find out it's an issue their aware of blah blah. I suggest if you do call them ask for compensation due to it being their fault!
    Pace box btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I've lost my UK EPG and can't seem to get it back. I've tried all the tricks - turning it off and taking the card out, putting the card in upside down, taking the card out while in interactive on Sky New 501. Each time the Irish EPG keeps loading back up with RTE1 at 101. It's a Sky +HD box we have.

@ Butch Cassidy
    Are you getting the irish channels without sub since the update or do they still show upgrade info?
    Our sub ends on feb 2nd so at that point we'll get to see what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

It would be helpful if people would tell us the actual model number off the label. There have been very few reports of problems and there's no way to see if there's a common pattern if you don't state the make AND the model number.

Most problems are fixed by:
    1. A reboot
    2. Planner rebuild
    3. System reset (wipe the Hard Drive).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Sky themselves have admitted there is an issue (lagging, freezing, hanging, very slow response, missing series links, unexplained recording clashes and failed recordings, planner appearing blank) with the codebase being rolled out on the older Samsung and Pace sky+hd boxes.

Until a fix is released there is absolutely nothing you can do that will stop the issues from occuring.

There is a fix in the pipeline and they have a thread on their help forums looking for people willing to beta test a potential fix.

For those interested the sky forums can be found @ http://helpforum.sky.com/

Wait until you read about the epg changes on Feb 1st :D

Although I can't actually log in as our phone number is never recognised - yeah

boomslang wrote: »
    @ Butch Cassidy
    Are you getting the irish channels without sub since the update or do they still show upgrade info?
    Our sub ends on feb 2nd so at that point we'll get to see what happens.
    Yeah the Irish channels are there in the EPG, the Irish EPG. The bill wasn't paid so the channels were locked hence wanting to have the UK EPG for a while until the bill gets settled but I have to go in via other channels now to get said UK channels.

Has anyone else lost their UK EPG since the upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Has anyone else lost their UK EPG since the upgrade?

I use a hd box for fta in second room,the update killed the uk epg last week,Sky are to bring out a fix for the lagging issues etc. during February.Don't know if it will resolve the epg issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

After I first discovered the issue I did a "force down load and a planner re-build" and "touch wood" I haven't had any of the "slow down" in changing channels I was first experiencing. I have read on Sky's own help forum that they are bringing out an update in mid-February to resolve the issue people have been having.

zerks wrote: »
    I use a hd box for fta in second room,the update killed the uk epg last week,Sky are to bring out a fix for the lagging issues etc. during February.Don't know if it will resolve the epg issue.
    So do you reckon that that's the UK EPG gone for good then? It was awful handy being able to access the channels through that with full TV guide rather than having to go into Other Channels which is a pain.

Do ye reckon they specifically targeted this during the update fiasco to prevent people from using a Sky HD box with UK EPG?

Our sub ends tomorrow.
    This morning I forced an update without the card in the box. After which it showed the irish EPG. It appears the EPG has been locked to the irish one. I'm guessing sky don't want us using it as a freesat box. At least not without going via other channels anyway.
    Even a system reset did not default it to a uk EPG.
    On the plus side I can use the HDD!

Right so it's not just me.

Fantastic, so now Sky boxes can't be used as Freesat boxes. FFS!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

My Sky+ HD box has frozen 3 times in the past week. Had to plug it out at the mains to sort it. No other problems though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

ratedR wrote: »
    My Sky+ HD box has frozen 3 times in the past week. Had to plug it out at the mains to sort it. No other problems though

That's invaluable information. So if anyone else has an unknown make/model Sky+HD Digibox, they may experience the same problem. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I have a Samsung Sky+HD box (300Gb HDD). I started having similar problems late last year. After some googling, I switched off the option for 'Anytime' and also the mini-preview screen that appears in EPG.
    No further problems since then. Figured it was a small price to pay and I can live without those 2 'features'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

Liameter wrote: »
    That's invaluable information. So if anyone else has an unknown make/model Sky+HD Digibox, they may experience the same problem. :rolleyes:

It's a Pace. Either way, there isnt a wide range of Sky+ HD boxes out there. The point I was making was that I also seem to have been affected since the software update.

No need for the sarcasm or rolley eyes. But shur if it made you feel like a big hard man, fair play to ya. ;)

Advertisement