Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extract wisdom tooth

• 19-01-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi, i need to extract wisdom tooth, where can i do it, the best for medical card :) i've never been here at any dentist so i don't know anybody ...
    who can help me?
    thank you so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Ardkeen will surely do it on the MC. Just ring their orthodontic dept for info. Not sure what dentist in town would do it on the MC as some don't take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I got my wisdom teeth extracted last year. I was told I had 2 options:

1. the private route, get the operation in Whitfield Clinic within a couple of months, but cost about €1,800. You can claim tax relief of about €400 on this, but not until the year after the operation.

2. the public route, which is basically the medical card system (even though I was not entitled to the medical card) which would only cost about €60. I was told the public waiting list was up to 2 years and I would have to travel to Cork to get the operation done.

I was also told that someone could do the operation locally for just a few hundred euro.

My advice is go to your dentist first. They will do an x-ray of your teeth, which will be needed either way by the dentist who does the operation. They will be able to tell if you need a full operation or if your teeth can be extracted in the dentist's surgery. Your dentist will tell you exactly what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 xeniol

Psychedelic, which dentist do you advice to go for consultation?
    Did you do your operation in Cork after 2 years waiting and paid 60e? full anaesthetic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I went to a dentist in Tramore. Her name is Sorcha White, working in the Dr Kenny Dental Surgery. I chose to go private because I did not want to wait long, I just wanted the teeth removed as soon as possible as they were annoying me, and I was lucky that I had enough savings to afford it. I'd say you should just go to your nearest dentist - I don't think it will cost you if you are on the medical card.

I was put under full anaesthetic for the operation. I went in to the Whitfield Clinic, which is just outside Waterford City, at about 9am and was back home by 2pm, but the operation itself only lasted an hour I think. I had all four wisdom teeth taken out. I was told that full anaesthetic is not always needed as it depends on how difficult it is to extract the teeth. Some people can get the local anaesthetic as you would when you are getting regular teeth extracted.

this is the last wisdom tooth, three other was extracted in differnt country in the past ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I got 2 wisdom teeth taken out 2 years ago.
    I was given 3 options by the dentist.
    1 - Get it done off dentist himself which would cost €500 under local anaesthetic
    2 - Go to the Eli Hospital in Wexford town which would cost about €900 under general anaesthetic and be out in a few hours
    3 - Go to Whitfield Clinic which would cost €1800 under general anaesthetic and be out in a few hours

I chose no 2 in the Eli Hospital. Didn't have the balls to do it under local anaesthetic and couldn't afford the Whitfield. I got back about €250 off the tax office.

BTW i don't have a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

xeniol wrote: »
    who can help me?

I will perform any operation for 129.95!

Odats, i asked in Ardkeen today and they stopped use mc about 2 years ago ...

cococoady, thank you :)

Dan, good luck, but find another patient ;-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

cococoady wrote: »
    I got 2 wisdom teeth taken out 2 years ago.
    I was given 3 options by the dentist.
    1 - Get it done off dentist himself which would cost €500 under local anaesthetic
    2 - Go to the Eli Hospital in Wexford town which would cost about €900 under general anaesthetic and be out in a few hours
    3 - Go to Whitfield Clinic which would cost €1800 under general anaesthetic and be out in a few hours

I chose no 2 in the Eli Hospital. Didn't have the balls to do it under local anaesthetic and couldn't afford the Whitfield. I got back about €250 off the tax office.

BTW i don't have a medical card.

I got 2 out in Ely Hospital as well about 9 years ago and it cost about €600 at the time. It took about 4 hours from going in the door to going out. You'd need someone to bring you home though as you'll still be a bit out of it after the general anaesthetic.

On the bright side they do give you painkillers the size of horse tranquilisers to last the next few days which are quite nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

My grandmother used to say she would tie my tooth to a string, tie the string to the door and then slam it shut.
    The theory is sound...

Id be willing to help you out if you wanted to go down this route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was on a waiting list years ago to get them out in Wexford under general ans, but went away to college.

I ended getting 3 out one morning in the dentists in Balliakill. It cost 120 total under the old prsi scheme. I think it was about 2 years ago.

All went fine, though couldn't drive after it as was too shaken up. I was given plenty of pills to take for the few days after so I was fine.

jayboi wrote: »
    My grandmother used to say she would tie my tooth to a string, tie the string to the door and then slam it shut.
    The theory is sound...

Id be willing to help you out if you wanted to go down this route!

This won't work for Wisdom teeth, half out, half in the gum at funny angles etc you get the picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

My sister had a wisdom tooth taken out under local anaesthetic last week and said it wasn't painful at all. Cheaper as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Jubo wrote: »
    My sister had a wisdom tooth taken out under local anaesthetic last week and said it wasn't painful at all. Cheaper as well.

It depends on the position of the tooth I think. One of mine was right next to a nerve that controls the feelings in the lower jaw so my dentist said it would be too risky to take out under local anaesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

If they're impacted then it's a surgical extraction. Some people have them out under local anaesthetic while others like to be sedated or have a GA.

When I was 7 years old I yanked out one of my sister's front teeth with a crochet hook, little did I know then that I'd end up as a dental nurse.

mine were impacted, not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Is any of the €900 in Wexford / €1800 for Whitfield covered by VHI?

I had one wisdom tooth extracted by the dentist last Summer. It had been causing trouble but he said it would be relatively easy to take out so did it there. However from the xray he said two more would need to be taken out surgically. I live really close to Whitfield but didn't realise how expensive it would be!!
    And if VHI do cover some/all of it, is it a case of they pay directly or the "oh yeah we'll give you some of your money back at the end of the year" type thing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

I had all my wisdom teeth extracted last march in the whitvield by mairead cashman from cork. My bottom two were impacted and I was referred there by dermot crowly out by ardkeen stores. I have plan a vhi cover so i had to pay €400 excess and vhi covered the rest which I think the whole thing came to about 1800, not too sure tho but i had to go under general anaesthetic.

Advertisement