Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wher to get a 900 MHz sim that will work in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got an old Motorolla 3300 International that I'd like to get going again.

I want a 900 MHz sim card that can be used in Ireland so I can divert my calls to it.

The phone is too old to accept any modern sim cards like the 3G ones of today.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

900Mhz refers to the frequency that the mobile network operates on, nothing to do with the sim directly.

As far as I'm aware, all networks in this country, bar 3 (but who should on Vodafones network), use that frequency so any sim should work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No. Meteor is a GSM 1800 network only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

chrislad wrote: »
    900Mhz refers to the frequency that the mobile network operates on, nothing to do with the sim directly.

As far as I'm aware, all networks in this country, bar 3 (but who should on Vodafones network), use that frequency so any sim should work fine.

So if i get a non 3G O2 sim I'm in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

corglass wrote: »
    So if i get a non 3G O2 sim I'm in business?
    They practically no longer exist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Haddockman wrote: »

Meteor have a license for the GSM 1800 MHz band until 2015; see page 4 of this ComReg document dated 21 December 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Haddockman wrote: »

According to this site, Meteor, O2 and Voda work off 900/1800

http://www.mobileworldlive.com/maps/network.php?cid=156&cname=Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

There is no such thing as a 3G SIM !! a SIM card only contains information about the subscriber, and has some storage space for contacts and text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

billbond4 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a 3G SIM !! a SIM card only contains information about the subscriber, and has some storage space for contacts and text messages.

Technically there is, as the network can allow only subscribers with a specific type of sim to connect their network; in this case 3G. Vodafone did this initially with their 3G network before they enabled all Vodafone sims to be able to connect to their 3G network. For example, it can be done by only allowing sims within a specific IMSI range to be able to connect to the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

"3G" SIMs allow you to connect on 900/1800 "2G" as well.

Once you choose a network that operates on the 900 MHz band (O2, Vodafone), the only other issue you'll have is that 900 MHz coverage will have some big holes in it, and is generally poor in urban areas, where most stations are 1800 (its shorter range is an advantage in this environment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

KrisW wrote: »
    "3G" SIMs allow you to connect on 900/1800 "2G" as well.

Once you choose a network that operates on the 900 MHz band (O2, Vodafone), the only other issue you'll have is that 900 MHz coverage will have some big holes in it, and is generally poor in urban areas, where most stations are 1800 (its shorter range is an advantage in this environment).
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    Technically there is, as the network can allow only subscribers with a specific type of sim to connect their network; in this case 3G. Vodafone did this initially with their 3G network before they enabled all Vodafone sims to be able to connect to their 3G network. For example, it can be done by only allowing sims within a specific IMSI range to be able to connect to the network.
    chrislad wrote: »
    According to this site, Meteor, O2 and Voda work off 900/1800

http://www.mobileworldlive.com/maps/network.php?cid=156&cname=Ireland
    billbond4 wrote: »

thanks everyone, I learned lots here. Now off to route out that missing o2 sim card....

• Advertisement
Advertisement