Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Talk to... makes sense for a big national business but not so much for a small trader, I don't think.

"Talk To" will enable BigMickey to become a big national business no??

Anyway BM trade all over the nation so they are, in effect, a national business.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Raced down to mickey's today and got a double Mattress Now 7 Zone by Silentnight fot €199 and a 1400 pocket sprung Silentnight King mattress which is 35cm deep for €299. It was classed as transport marked but I could not see much wrong with it. Brought the roll up home with me but he is delivering the kingsize to me in Swords next week and it's free delivery as usual..

Thanks big mickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Looking for a replacement Mattress to fit a kids Ikea bed. Current one is 80cm wide. I beleive these are an odd size, but maybe you have some 2 foot 6" (76cm)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mysticspud

Hi. I'm looking for two fairly decent single bed mattresses and a new kingsize bed and mattress. Do you have anything nice, at good quality and a decent price in the sale? Possibly with underbed storage. Would appreciate pics as can't travel to the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi Boardsmember

Thanks for your interest. If you read back this thread you will see that there were a few comments from other members that this is a "bargain alerts" thread and should be kept as one so rather than pi**ing anyone off we started answering all posts directed to us by pm with a thanks acknowledgment so others could see that all posts got noticed by us.

We are more than happy to assist/help anyone on here. To avoid annoying others it is probably best to do so by pm. If boards.ie give us the green light to answer such queries in the bargain alerts thread then we are more than happy to do so .

Thanks

bigmickey.ie
    Hi KMB

We would love to be able to but under the terms and conditions of the Verified Representative Agreement we are very limited in what we can say on here.

Surely it is up to the boards members to say if something is a bargain or not and not us. I would image as per the terms and conditions if we started posting bargains on here our account would be shut down. We would love to be able to answer freely but we are limited to what we can say. We have spoken to boards.ie about " Talk to " and other matters and this may be a possible in the future.

Members can call in to us, e mail, phone or pm us and we are happy to answer any questions. We monitor the boards account at regular intervals throughout the day and I believe all queries are answered in a timely fashion.

If anyone needs any further info/help or advise please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

bigmickey.ie
    Are you not effectively 'subverting' the Boards system by replying to questions posted here by PM though?

Tbh, I cannot see how replying directly in this thread to a posted question would be an issue for you, unless you have another reason for not doing so.

Otherwise, it is long past time for this thread to be closed. Imo, of course.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Esel wrote: »
    Eh, why? its not just a bigmickey thread, its actually other deals and stores that are posted here. I, for one, posted on here the prices I got here from bigmickey along with pictures, and while I am the first one to chime in usually how good his stuff is, he has said what and what he can not say on here. unless boards allows it. his thread was taken down, I dont know why as I wasnt paying heed to it, but I know that he is probably just making sure that all the comments and posts stay above board. Maybe get a mods view on whether he is doing the correct forum thing

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Esel wrote: »
    Are you not effectively 'subverting' the Boards system by replying to questions posted here by PM though?

Tbh, I cannot see how replying directly in this thread to a posted question would be an issue for you, unless you have another reason for not doing so.

Read the posted questions!!!
    I'm looking for a kingsized bed with abit of firmness Matress!?!?!?:confused::confused:

Doctor, I have an itch? Can you please help?

I'm looking for a 42' TV? Sony/WhoFungtheDUNG manufacture...LED/LCD/Plasma...USB/Hmdi....Front/Back light...!! The list is endless!!

If your in the look out for furniture or bedding! BigMickeys is the man!

Imo, of course.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

daytob wrote: »
    Eh, why? its not just a bigmickey thread, its actually other deals and stores that are posted here. I, for one, posted on here the prices I got here from bigmickey along with pictures, and while I am the first one to chime in usually how good his stuff is, he has said what and what he can not say on here. unless boards allows it. his thread was taken down, I dont know why as I wasnt paying heed to it, but I know that he is probably just making sure that all the comments and posts stay above board. Maybe get a mods view on whether he is doing the correct forum thing

Thanks Daytob

If we answer on here some members complain that it's a "Bargain Alerts" thread and should be kept so and when we don't answer on the thread then others complain about this also. You just can't win !!!!

MikeOis wrote: »
    Read the posted questions!!!
    I'm looking for a kingsized bed with abit of firmness Matress!?!?!?:confused::confused:

Doctor, I have an itch? Can you please help?

I'm looking for a 42' TV? Sony/WhoFungtheDUNG manufacture...LED/LCD/Plasma...USB/Hmdi....Front/Back light...!! The list is endless!!

If your in the look out for furniture or bedding! BigMickeys is the man!

Imo, of course.

Eh, so in other words you are saying this thread should be moved to Bargain Alerts Requests rather than Bargain Alerts?

Let me help you understand using an example...

"I found a mattress for sale costing €299 in X that is selling for €499 in A,B,C" = Bargain Alert

"Where can I get a (specify brand) mattress for €299?" = Bargain Alert Request

"Hey (insert trader name), how much are your (specify brand) mattresses?" = Direct conversation with a trader. Should be on Talk To (probably requires payment being made to Boards for the priviledge as it's free advertising otherwise)

Read the Bargain Alert forum sticky regarding suitable posts if I'm not being clear enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Thanks Daytob

If we answer on here some members complain that it's a "Bargain Alerts" thread and should be kept so and when we don't answer on the thread then others complain about this also. You just can't win !!!!

Just to clarify so, by your reckoning if I was looking for furniture I would post it in bargain alerts and not bargain requests? This is against the forum rules.
    Could I not look at your many adverts on adverts.ie and pm you through boards with any questions?
    So what is stopping other companies following suit and ruining bargain alerts?
    What is this weeks bargain? Oh wait its probably in ADVERTS.IE!!

kmb wrote: »
    Just to clarify so, by your reckoning if I was looking for furniture I would post it in bargain alerts and not bargain requests? This is against the forum rules.
    Could I not look at your many adverts on adverts.ie and pm you through boards with any questions?
    So what is stopping other companies following suit and ruining bargain alerts?
    What is this weeks bargain? Oh wait its probably in ADVERTS.IE!!

We don't ask anyone to post anywhere but for manners sake if someone directs a question at us then of couse we are not going to ignore them.

We have no control over who posts what and where !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

Can all the whingers just unsub from the Thread????

Mmkay Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Can all the whingers just unsub from the Thread????

Mmkay Thanks.

Here here!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

OP here. It should be noted that the original post was alerting people to a bargain alert for beds and mattresses in the Dublin area. I have been down to Bigmickey's showroom previous to that and was a little disappointed. I should have been more pro-active in detailing what we needed earlier but bit of a shy shopper I suppose.

However, I have bought stuff off bigmickey since and couldnt have been happier with the service. If this thread highlights anyone who is in the market for a mattress to the existence of big mickey's showroom and service it is doing a great job.

I certainly question the motivations of those looking to shut the thread down (again I started it by looking to highlight a different supplier).

I was skeptical of some of the reviews at one stage but I think there are simply too many customers coming back retelling the same positive stories for it to be nothing but a success for bargain alerts and for boards. If competitors want to offer a similar service at a similar price, do so.

Morgans wrote: »
    I certainly question the motivations of those looking to shut the thread down (again I started it by looking to highlight a different supplier).

For me, the motivation is simply that the thread is starting to take the shape of a Talk To forum specific to ONE company and should be moved to a suitable section of boards.ie.

I too came onto this thread posting about an alternate supplier but my post was seemingly attacked which made me suspect that there was a bias in the thread.

"Bargain alerts" is my favourite forum (it's what got me started on boards) and probably why I don't like people taking the mickey (cough) and getting free advertising.

As the forum charter says:
    "The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by advertising their services directly or referring to same in their posts. This includes user names."

These rules have been broken several times in this thread, but I'm not a mod, so as I mentioned a few weeks ago I'll let the mods decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was looking for a good deal on a bed this thread alerted me to one, that is it's purpose.

A bed is not an impulse buy like most BAs so the thread needs to run for longer.

For those that continue to take the thread off topic there are places to go to discuss your ideas on what should or shouldn't be in the thread. As long as this thread is alerting people to bargains it should stay in BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

Morgans wrote: »
    OP here.

I was skeptical of some of the reviews at one stage but I think there are simply too many customers coming back retelling the same positive stories for it to be nothing but a success for bargain alerts and for boards. If competitors want to offer a similar service at a similar price, do so.

Correct Morgans !

Anyone skeptical about reviews on here then have a look at big mickey's facebook page where the story continues and where people show their faces unlike here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BigMickeyie/172686765557?ref=hl

leitrim1 wrote: »
    Correct Morgans !

Anyone skeptical about reviews on here then have a look at big mickey's facebook page where the story continues and where people show their faces unlike here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BigMickeyie/172686765557?ref=hl

you should be on commission considering the number of bigmickey-promo posts you have in your history :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i too am looking for a new memory foam mattress as my last one failed at 5yrs would that be the norm now,i had posted this elsewhere.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138773

i will be keeping an eye on this thread also cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

mrcheez wrote: »
    you should be on commission considering the number of bigmickey-promo posts you have in your history :P

if big mickey wants to give me commission then I will gladly accept it .

any chance big mickey ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Looking for a good double mattress around 200€ or more mark. Any ideas? Based in firhhouse

greenman09 wrote: »
    Looking for a good double mattress around 200€ or more mark. Any ideas? Based in firhhouse

https://www.bonusbeds.ie/ as mentioned in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057142644

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

where the best place for cheap 4 foot x 6 foot mattresses. I see bigmickey.ie been mentioned alot but for mattresses the prices are higher than bargain town ..

the problem with bargaintown is the stuff is probably made with balsa wood * or cheap pine from my experience. I know people who are happy with that, I personally wouldnt be, while it might be cheaper, you may end up buying 2 or 3 bases while one worth a bit more could possibly last longer.
    but its personal preference and I wouldnt go near bargaintown ever again

the problem with bargaintown is the stuff is probably made with balsa wood * or cheap pine from my experience. I know people who are happy with that, I personally wouldnt be, while it might be cheaper, you may end up buying 2 or 3 bases while one worth a bit more could possibly last longer.
    but its personal preference and I wouldnt go near bargaintown ever again

And the mattresses ?

usually paper thin. go in and lie on them. if it feels good and thick and comfy for you then go for it. but thats the basic rule most people would use anyways. if you buy a bed / mattress then at least try it out first, obviously not to a certain degree ;)

usually paper thin. go in and lie on them. if it feels good and thick and comfy for you then go for it. but thats the basic rule most people would use anyways. if you buy a bed / mattress then at least try it out first, obviously not to a certain degree ;)

I bought mattresses years ago in bargain town never an issue. Just wanted to know what the score was now. Dont feel like paying 50% more else where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

where the best place for cheap 4 foot x 6 foot mattresses. I see bigmickey.ie been mentioned alot but for mattresses the prices are higher than bargain town ..

Do you mean 4ft X 6ft 3 in ?

If so my sister got an Airsprung Carmel Ortho for €79 in bigmickey only today and I got a Sweet Dreams New York leather sofa bed for €249. The cheapest these came up on google was in UK at 300 stg.

You really need to visit bigmickey for the real bargains. I have always found this in the past. The web site has mostly only the items that they can repeat order where the best bargains are in the store. This is stated on their web site. Did you give them a call or just going by the web site ?

The Gride wrote: »
    Do you mean 4ft X 6ft 3 in ?
    don't.so my sister got an Airsprung Carmel Ortho for €79 in bigmickey only today and I got a Sweet Dreams New York leather sofa bed for €249. The cheapest these came up on google was in UK at i300 stg.

You really need to visit bigmickey for the real bargains. I have always found this in the past. The web site has mostly only the items that they can repeat order where the best bargains are in the store. This is stated on their web site. Did you give them a call or just going by the web site ?

Do you have link for that mattress ? What size was it ? I dont see ones for that price on the web site

Do you have link for that mattress ? What size was it ? I dont see ones for that price on the web site[/QUOTE

There was a choice of about 5 different ones for €79. They were all Airsprung brand. We picked what we thought to be the best one of them. I don't see it on the bigmickey.ie but neither do I see the sofa bed. I shop on a regular basis there and nearly always just go in to the shop and google the brands when I am in there. The mattress was in Argos.ie for over €300. The sofa bed is on donedeal.ie though.

• Advertisement

Do you have link for that mattress ? What size was it ? I dont see ones for that price on the web site[/QUOTE

There was a choice of about 5 different ones for €79. They were all Airsprung brand. We picked what we thought to be the best one of them. I don't see it on the bigmickey.ie but neither do I see the sofa bed. I shop on a regular basis there and nearly always just go in to the shop and google the brands when I am in there. The mattress was in Argos.ie for over €300. The sofa bed is on donedeal.ie though.

Why 75 euro as oppossed to 300 seems strange!!!

Why 75 euro as oppossed to 300 seems strange!!!

Here is the Argos link :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1294626/Trail/searchtext%3EAIRSPRUNG+CARMEL+ORTHO.htm

The plastic bag on the mattress was a bit torn but the mattress itself is absolutely perfect.

Big discounts are common at bigmickey.ie and also because Argos prices are too high. I got a whole double Airsprung bed with drawers of them a few months ago for only €199. I also got my own mattress for €550 -€600 and at the time they were selling for close to €2000 in other places. Don't go by the web site, best thing is to call in to them and haggle. What is on their web site is nothing compared to the actual stock in the shop. They mostly only sell big brands but cheap.

one thing i found with a mattress when you try it instore it feels nice but real test is overnight,pity we cant try before we buy,as the last chiropractors mattress leaves me in pain next morning with sore muscles.

Buyers Beware

Sometimes a "Bargain" is not really a Bargain

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/warning-issued-cheap-mattress-scam-6733750

nice excuse to bump your thread to the top there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

nice excuse to bump your thread to the top there ;)
    Your post is stupid and your winky face is stupid. As if it makes any odds.

I can't get over all these whingy/snipping posts on every thread lately. FFS.

Your post is stupid and your winky face is stupid.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Eh, so in other words you are saying this thread should be moved to Bargain Alerts Requests rather than Bargain Alerts?

Let me help you understand using an example...

"I found a mattress for sale costing €299 in X that is selling for €499 in A,B,C" = Bargain Alert

"Where can I get a (specify brand) mattress for €299?" = Bargain Alert Request

"Hey (insert trader name), how much are your (specify brand) mattresses?" = Direct conversation with a trader. Should be on Talk To (probably requires payment being made to Boards for the priviledge as it's free advertising otherwise)

Read the Bargain Alert forum sticky regarding suitable posts if I'm not being clear enough[/

Adverts | Friends
    nice excuse to bump your thread to the top there

Typical!! Double standards from U? Where's your 'Bargain Alert'???
    What's that you said 'Read the Bargains Alerts Forum Sticky'! Did you forget your own complaining comments!

Go and play with your PC parts and your little bicycle! Remember dont share your Dodi!!

Sorry, trying to bite my lip for a long time!

MikeOis wrote: »
    Typical!! Double standards from U? Where's your 'Bargain Alert'???
    What's that you said 'Read the Bargains Alerts Forum Sticky'! Did you forget your own complaining comments!

eh I think we established this thread isn't a Bargain Alert thread a long time ago just as the post I was responding to wasn't a Bargain Alert. I just find it amusing how BM's online marketing department felt the need to post up an article simply to bump the thread up to the top of the forum again.

A shop posting an article about how to avoid other shops by instilling a fear they may have less reputable stock? Pretty blatant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Buyers Beware

Sometimes a "Bargain" is not really a Bargain

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/warning-issued-cheap-mattress-scam-6733750

That's some scam in that video. A relation of mine in Wexford bought 3 mattresses from a guy going around in a van and they did'nt even last a month. Complete rubbish she said. She got no receipt or contact details. Just paid cash. Silly woman,She had to go to a local shop and buy again and got branded mattresses for a little more that she had been ripped off for.

was it a horsehair mattress she bought:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

greasepalm wrote: »
    was it a horsehair mattress she bought:eek:

Nope, sure that would be high quality. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

@ Big Mickey.ie

I'm after a Bunk bed preferably the domino bunk bed on your site. http://www.bigmickey.ie/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74_142&products_id=2402

Could you clarify that you have in stock (i want to get kids settled in it asap) and that this is a single unit bunk bed, as opposed to being two separate singles joined together? (i find these not the the sturdiest tbh)

Cheers

Anyone looking for a Harrison bed or mattress at a discount (for next weekend ) should have a look at this thread on boards :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057191770

Anyone looking for a Harrison bed or mattress at a discount (for next weekend ) should have a look at this thread on boards :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057191770

Big shout out to Mick from bigmickey.ie.

Met me coming off the ferry with the bed I had ordered, kinda hard to beat a service like that tbh.

Bunk bed assembled and looking well in the kids room. .

First class service, couldn't recommend them enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

Met me coming off the ferry with the bed I had ordered
    huh??

huh??

Needed bunk bed asap. Rather than wait on it being shipped from UK to his warehouse in Longford, then reshipping to my place, they met me, coming of a ferry from the UK before It got to Longford

Invoice/guarantee emailed shortly afterwards.

See how many other companies would offer a service like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Off to Big Mickeys in the morning to hopefully get a super king size bed.

Hope it lives up to the hype and I get an unreal comfortable bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Well it did live up to the hype I'm pleased to report.

Customer service was excellent, sound advice and plenty of information while putting no pressure on you at all or angling for a sale. Could test out beds all day if we wanted.

Ended up breaking our budget when we fell for a Harrison Pillow Top Super King Size but got a fantastic deal on it.

Thanks a lot to Big Mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Talula_d

Is big mickeys open today? And if so is the sale on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement