Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

just to join the chorus, got a mattress from mick tonight, am delighted with it. our bed has unusual dimensions, and mick reckoned he could have even got me a mattress made to order if the ones needed didn't suit.

was quite the experience meeting the man himself, he was like a human whirlwind, i was fit to collapse after we were done. had the mattress up to our 2nd story apartment and in place, and was gone again in 5 minutes. even got me to lay on it in the street to make sure it was ok!

but yes, thumbs up, would use again in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Gonna have to take a spin if only to check out this Mick fella.

Anyone bought a Super King or seen any prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uxak

i got a superking divan set with head board for 600 euro of him. pocket sprung with memory top matress. very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just chiming in my 2cents here for Big Mickey aswell, came up from Dublin to his shop on Wednesday, he wasnt even officially open and was able to spare a good hour or so with me and the gf to have a goo around and help us in our search for a bed, in the end we opted for a big feck off pine yoke, think it was originally a grand on the house of fraser website, he gave it to us for 400, and the mattress he wanted 450 for and gave to us for 400 quid, all in all a great trip down and well worth the petrol fare.... he even gave us a bottle of wine aswell, an absolute gentleman through and through...

He delivered it to us personally last night at about 9PM in Dublin and even gave us a dig out setting it up, a lovely man and I aint got a bad word to say, would recommend him to anyone here on boards....

He is also looking out for a corner suite of leather furniture for us aswell....

Big up Big Mickey! lol....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CatMH

Anyone know if Big Mickey is back in Ireland/at the shop at the minute? Has anyone been in contact with him recently? I sent him an email about 10 days ago asking him to price items for me that i saw on the website after reading about him here and he said he was away in UK purchasing. I don't want to keep hounding him if he is still away. I know I could send an email but just thought i would put it out here first!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

I was down there at the weekend and he mentioned that he was in the UK that week. A terrible nice fella and cut me a good deal on a mattress which I am waiting to be delivered. He did say he couldnt get this delivered until Friday as he is on hols until then so this might be of help to you.

Top Man :) but i will hold off on how good the mattress is until I have had 40winks but it was definately a good price

That's great, will hold of until the weekend so, if he is away on holidays. Not in any major panic for the prices but would be good to have them sooner rather than later.
    Have read so much positive things about him on here so hope he lives up to his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Yeah, I was looking for him also. His daughter answered the phone and said he will be back in the shop Friday morning. She also said that there will be alot of new stuff arriving. Hope this answers your query.

That's great The Gride, will send my email to him again so its top of the list when he returns in the morning!! Might even spin down to him on Saturday, think i will be in Longford for work so i will go across if i have time. see this new stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

i heard locally hes off for some stock in spain so should be back soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

davehey79 wrote: »
    i heard locally hes off for some stock in spain so should be back soon

I was down in Longford this afternoon. He's back from Spain.

Nice guy - I'll be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

He has his 3 day sale on this weekend.
    Hopefully heading down to get a new mattress and maybe bed, depending on prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Needed a new double mattress for the kids and wanted good enough quality for a reasonable price. Mick was very nice and reliable, remembered who I was on the phone and kept me updated

He delivered an Airsprung Ortho mattress tonight for €135. Just googling for a bit and the cheapest I can find it in the UK is about £220 plus £20 delivery from an on line retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

I had read a lot of things on boards about this store and was a bit skeptical myself, but i was off at the weekend and took a ramble up to have a look. I needed a table and chairs and after having a look around the store and talking to mick i ended up with not only a table and chairs but a new king size bed with Sealy matress, a new duvet and pillows also.

The price i paid included delivery, assembly and after a bit of persuasion mick took my old bed away too. Any of the other stores that sell beds have asked for extra for all this and delivery. So just this alone saved me the best part of €100. Everything was delivered in a few days and all i can say now is, I have no idea how i managed to sleep on that old bed.

If your looking for:

* Quality products
    * Excellent customer service
    * Unbeatable price
    * Room to haggle

then you should check out this place. I tried to find the bed i bought cheaper online and the cheapest for the frame only is what i paid for the frame & matress. On some sites the frame alone is actually the same price that i paid for Bed/matress/table and chairs.

Really worth checking if your in the market for some furniture.

I am in no way associated with this store. Just wanted to give my two cents worth because i was so happy with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Is big mickey open every weekend or only sales weekends at the start of the month?

• Advertisement

gerbo wrote: »
    Is big mickey open every weekend or only sales weekends at the start of the month?

Only one weekend of the month usually. But i have heard if you ring him he can sort something out if you want to go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I went over to comfort beds in Tallaght this week, I've been through a load of places, Beds Etc, Harvey Norman, and some high end places, and TBH, I got the best advise at comfort beds. Prices are really good for top end brands, in the end I went for a rest assured, no pressure on me, I bought what I wanted, and what I needed, and that was all that was sold to me also. Highly reccomend.

screamer wrote: »
    I went over to comfort beds in Tallaght this week, I've been through a load of places, Beds Etc, Harvey Norman, and some high end places, and TBH, I got the best advise at comfort beds. Prices are really good for top end brands, in the end I went for a rest assured, no pressure on me, I bought what I wanted, and what I needed, and that was all that was sold to me also. Highly reccomend.

I tried them, so did my mam when she was looking. Didnt have what I would call a great bargain. My mam ended up getting a bed from B/town instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

liger wrote: »
    screamer wrote: »

I tried them, so did my mam when she was looking. Didnt have what I would call a great bargain. My mam ended up getting a bed from B/town instead.

Depending on how much stuff you need, just give him a call and he can give you an idea of what he has there. I haven't been there in a good while but he had loads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

I haven't bought anything from Mick, as per my post earlier, I went north looking for a gel mattress that he doesn't stock - I had kept in touch with him for a few other bits & pieces, and when he heard that the new mattress doesn't suit & we're trying to sell it & get a replacement, he has been genuinely helpful. I am kicking myself that I didn't order from him in the first place, but when I get it sold I'll be on the road to longford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

My god it is funny how this keeps popping up :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

Why? Janey mac I'm only trying to recommend to others what I perceive to be a good service; the mods can go through my pm's with Mick if they like.
    No, I haven't been to his premises as yet, but any communication I have had with the guy has been very helpful, and it costs nothing to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Based on recommendations from this forum I contacted Mick by phone and bought 2 Rest Assured Venetian Memory 1000 Pocket Mattresses - one kingsize, one double

The cost was €299 each inc delivery to Galway and he took away the old mattresses for the same price as the council charges

Mick was an absolute pleasure to deal with, both himself and the delivery driver kept in regular contact and the beds are good quality and seriously comfy :)
    I'll definitely be buying from him again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hi Folks,

Just thought i'd add my tuppence worth to this, ordered off Mickey on Thursday- he told me depending on certain factors it'd be yesterday or today....arrived this evening in dreadful weather;)

Thanks to Mickey am delighted with the new bed, heres hoping i have plenty of restful nights in it.

I'm not affiliatred in any way just wanted to comment on fast, reliable service and a great price.

He even hefted out my oldone on his own..{ i would've helped he just lobbed it in himself} .. seems like a really nice genuine guy.

Long may he continue.

Recommended. *Thumbs Up*

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Had a look at big mickey's website. Doesn't seem to be any prices beside the mattresses. Doesn't seem to be any way of ordering online despite the presence of a shopping cart. Haven't seen any links to add item to shopping cart. There's simply a link to Contact Us given against each item I've viewed. Different price per person or what? Looks suspect to me but then again some good reviews here. Unsure whether to go ahead with an order or use a more straightforward crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Murta wrote: »
    Had a look at big mickey's website. Doesn't seem to be any prices beside the mattresses. Doesn't seem to be any way of ordering online despite the presence of a shopping cart. Haven't seen any links to add item to shopping cart. There's simply a link to Contact Us given against each item I've viewed. Different price per person or what? Looks suspect to me but then again some good reviews here. Unsure whether to go ahead with an order or use a more straightforward crowd.

You'll need to do it the old fashion way and give him a call and have a haggle over the phone... I've been back and forth to Mick for near 2 years now. All the beds in my house are from him, my mam has two beds from him and my mother in law has a bed and suite of furniture from him.. few of my mates have bits from him also. Great guy to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I was down there a couple of weeks back, he had excellent mattresses for 300 at the time. Having just bought one a few weeks before I was kicking myself, his mattress was excellent quality. He said it was originally over a grand sterling I'd well believe it. For the price I paid (700) he showed me one he had ready to deliver, was seriously kicking myself then. That one was the most ridiculous quality mattress I'd ever seen!!! Well worth a journey down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Well if over 200 posts, highly recommending both the man and his stock, from long time, well established posters doesn't persuade you, nothing will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Bought a bed off Mick last year, and earlier this year when it came to us buying a house we took a trip down to micks and bought a telly stand, kitchen table with 6 chairs and 2 sofas. It was delivered 2day and none of it was Mickeys fault, is was because of problems with us getting the keys til now. One of the sofas is a 4 seater, the other is a 2.5 seater sofa bed.
    The 2.5 seater sofa bed is nearly the same size as the 4 seater and weighs a ton, but worth it.

I have seen similar but not the same sofa around for nearly 2k, when you consider that we paid less that that for all of our stuff we got a great deal. We wlll be down with Mick again in 2 weeks time when we have to buy another bed.

anyway here is proof of the size of the sofas.

the Pictures dont do the comfortness justice.

imag0028k.jpg
    imag0025el.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Before I start I've no affiliation with Big Mickey, jut another happy customer.

We bought a super-king bed, mattress, lockers and tall boy about six weeks ago. The man himself came down to deliver and assemble it at 8 o'clock on a Saturday evening. Genuinely nice guy, and the quality of his furniture is top notch. Will be giving him a call next time we need any other bits for the house. I have to admit the whole lack of price-tags can be a bit off-putting but I checked up on the prices since we bought and it's good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Hi,thinking of buying a rest assured venetian 1000 sprung memory from bigmickeys,has anyone purchased 1,and if so is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Delightesd to be able to help you out there...mainly after reading the good reviews here and on adverts I made the "pilgrimage" to BigMickyes shop in Minard Co. Longford got great items at really good prices , dont be afraid to haggle , I brought the wife ( she took a degree in haggling - no seriously she could haggle for Ireland ) got sofa bed , 2 huge solid wood wardrobes the Camdem King size bed the Rest Assured 1000 pocket Ventian Classic matress and assorted bedding pillows and quilts for 1600 euro and as good as that was I was even more impressed with the after sales service when we had a bit of a problem with one of the items , this man could teach a couple of companies I know the real definition of customer service and customer satisfaction .As for the matress I can honestly say I have never slept on a better one it just ticks all the boxes...get it you wont regret it... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Anyone know if he does baby furniture sets like cots, baby changers, wardrobes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

lip wrote: »
    Hi,thinking of buying a rest assured venetian 1000 sprung memory from bigmickeys,has anyone purchased 1,and if so is it good?

Bought two of these from Big Mickey based on recommendations from this forum and the mattresses are terrific - really comfortable
    He was a pleasure to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

At the risk of repeating myself:

About six months ago I was on here raving about a 6ft super king solid oak bed and mattress that I bought from bigmickey.ie, and I'm back again. Another fantastic deal from Mick this week, a beautiful dark brown leather two seater sofa for my kitchen, and an absolutely gorgeous 2.5 seater sofa bed, as seen in a previous post from someone else, it's aubergine corduroy, quite unusual and a serious piece of furniture. I can't fault the service or the price, and as for the product, 100% happy. I put the sofa bed in the play room where there's a tv and I haven't seen the kids since, it's the kind of sofa you sink into and don't want to get out of again, seriously comfy, and the bed that folds out is a proper lath-sprung base with high quality mattress.
    I have absolutely no affiliation (usually spend my time lurking on the athletics board) but I promised Mick I'd report back if I was happy, and I am. Ring him if you are looking for any furniture or beds, you won't regret it.

absolutely gorgeous 2.5 seater sofa bed, as seen in a previous post from someone else, it's aubergine corduroy, quite unusual and a serious piece of furniture. /QUOTE]

Thats my one :D. you wont regret it. it really is comfy, we had family members out to try it out and they all said they wanted one. its really handy as well because the covers come off. * mind you, you probably know this by now, it is super heavy. wait till you take out the bed, if you got the sofa bed version ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

lip wrote: »

Im thinking the same myself. normally €450 Im told.

Good reviews from the Argos site.
    http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/6939034/reviews.htm

If we could just see it in front of us it would be decision made.

Im not mad keen on the Memory bit.

worded wrote: »

why dont you go down then? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just a word on guarantees on mattresses in case you get sucked in by something that looks like good value.

we went and got a top of the range super king sized extra deep, pocket sprung memory foam mattress with a sprung base that looked great because it came with a 10 year guarantee for about €1300 (6 years ago), but when we enquired about getting a replacement mattress as some of the spring had gone causing a ridge in the middle of where i sleep (which we were told couldn't even happen in this type of mattress), it turns out that the 'limited' 10 year guarantee means that for every year since the time of purchase, we would have to stump up 10% of the original cost PLUS delivery charges to replace the mattress, which means that its pretty much worthless given that you can get the same or better bed now for half the price we originally paid.

the short version is, it's obviously my own fault for not paying attention to the terms and conditions, but we've just moved house and instead of getting it replaced under guarantee, we've had to throw out an otherwise perfectly good (and very expensive) bed because it's worthless, so if you get a bed/mattress with a long guarantee that looks like a good deal, make sure you read the T&C's to be sure that the guarantee is as good as it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

vibe666 wrote: »
    just a word on guarantees on mattresses in case you get sucked in by something that looks like good value.

we went and got a top of the range super king sized extra deep, pocket sprung memory foam mattress with a sprung base that looked great because it came with a 10 year guarantee for about €1300 (6 years ago), but when we enquired about getting a replacement mattress as some of the spring had gone causing a ridge in the middle of where i sleep (which we were told couldn't even happen in this type of mattress), it turns out that the 'limited' 10 year guarantee means that for every year since the time of purchase, we would have to stump up 10% of the original cost PLUS delivery charges to replace the mattress, which means that its pretty much worthless given that you can get the same or better bed now for half the price we originally paid.

the short version is, it's obviously my own fault for not paying attention to the terms and conditions, but we've just moved house and instead of getting it replaced under guarantee, we've had to throw out an otherwise perfectly good (and very expensive) bed because it's worthless, so if you get a bed/mattress with a long guarantee that looks like a good deal, make sure you read the T&C's to be sure that the guarantee is as good as it looks.

With purchases a l lot is luck. I bought 2 laptops from Dell for 1500 EACH a few years back. One had an Nvidia the other an Intel video chip, aside from that they were identical. We had accidental warranty for three years. The best most expensive cover possible on the best possible laptops. Didnt help when 1 went pear shaped. Nightmare it was and Dell swapped the parts for equally defective parts. It was near useless from three months old (there was a known issue with the Nvidia chip set). You can buy the most expensive kit in the world but if its a Lemon, best find out within 7 days and get a refund.

Usually high end products are more expensive and are higher quality, but its not always true unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

worded wrote: »

I did purchase this mattress,and am sooo glad I did. Its really comfy. Like you,wasn't sure about the memory foam,but I've gotten used to it. It is warmer,but that suits me fine as I'm always cold. I just rang Mick and ordered it over the phone,I wasn't able to go down. It was delivered free of charge a week later.
    Just 1 thing,its slightly too big for my bed,width wise. About 2 inches. Only a problem with me because my bed has raised sides,so its not lying on slats on 1 side,would be fine with a divan bed. Its a good excuse for me to get a new bed in sales. Def would recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How do people go about choosing mattresses? It's all very well knowing somewhere that is cheap to buy them, but how have people gone about choosing the right one for them? I'm in Dublin, so I suppose one option is to go to a few well known places, check out which ones I find comfortable, price them up, and then see if Mickey can beat that price. If anyone has any suggestion where in South Dublin might have the biggest selection of mattresses I would appreciate it. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I'd avoid memory foam you can't flip. I'd also go pocket sprung if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BostonB wrote: »
    Personally I'd avoid memory foam you can't flip. I'd also go pocket sprung if possible.
    +1 to both of those.

also pay attention to instructions on wearing in your new mattress as some will require being flipped every couple of weeks for the first few months to get the most out of them.

Dont know CaseyJones1 and I do come on here to sing Micks praises but I know if you are in the process of looking for a bed, the wife and I have been sleeping a lot on our sofas * a couple of posts up ;) * we just sit down to watch the telly and next thing shes snoring on her one and I am super comfy on my one. dont know where the days do be going at all.
    just saying find out what you want and drop him a mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 davr

No affiliation to Mick. Bought a bed off Mick last year (which i am very happy with) and needed some more bits and pieces recently. Didnt make the trip down as i didnt have the time but told him what I wanted. I bought a single mattress, really solid bunk beds and mattresses plus a recliner couch. All delivered when he said and for about half the price I would have gotten these things elsewhere. Super guy to deal with as always. If people knew how good his merchandise and service was a lot of other furniture dealers would be out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got another mattress from Mick today. A high quality A brand 1000 sprung + memory foam single mattress for an incredibly low price (less than a third of the RRP)

Big thanks to big Mickey! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cooking slow

Posting this for my brother ( No affiliation with Bigmickey )

So I have followed this thread now for a while, and now we finally have been paid ( thank god!) my wife and I are preparing to take a trip down to Longford on sunday, as its the first weekend in the month.

I had previously emailed Mick for some prices and just this week got this email off him

longfordleader2h1qlw.jpg

I notice he has the Miracoil 3 mattress and base for €249 and the Silent night complete superking size bed for €299, has anyone here got them? I know you lot say try it out yourself to make sure but wanted to know if anyone had them for a while which one is really great. Or do I just say sod it and go with the rest assured?

I am preparing to buy a lot more stuff then we had anticipated given other peoples comments on here. I will report back with how I got on as well on sunday.

oh yeah there is a competition on bigmickeys fb page where the comment with the most likes wins a bed. it looks like its between a woman and her 2 kids and some charity. If only I could vote twice. ;)

cs

Cooking slow, wife and I bought loads off him * pix are in the thread * and i would say if you could get the super king size bed. the one we have is huge, hell at times i dont even know if the wife is next to me, till she bloody snores :p

dunno what mattress we got, will try find out and get back to you, all i will say is, its comfy. its like one of them hotel beds honest.

as i said dunno what mattress we have when im home ill let you know.
    also with regards to buying more than you intend, its probably cheaper than anywhere else and will save you the petrol whatever you get.

i have to head down this weekend myself so might see your brother there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement