Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

unkel wrote: »
    Got another mattress from Mick today. A high quality A brand 1000 sprung + memory foam single mattress for an incredibly low price (less than a third of the RRP)

Big thanks to big Mickey! :)

Why would someone post and include neither the manufacturer name, or the price. It's these types of posts that make me suspicious of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

unkel wrote: »
    Got another mattress from Mick today. A high quality A brand 1000 sprung + memory foam single mattress for an incredibly low price (less than a third of the RRP)

Big thanks to big Mickey! :)

Why would someone post and include neither the manufacturer name, or the price. It's these types of posts that make me suspicious of this thread.
    if you check out the post by cooking slow * i think, they have included a pdf of prices * think its a pdf cant see im on my phone. i posted the price of my entire stuff because that was the final price i paid, i didnt want a breakdown, i knew it was a bargain.

if you check out his facebook page there are prices there, i come on here a bit because for what we got it was a bargain.

we heard about him from this thread and if so many people take the trip down and comment how can you say its suspicious? its whoever posts can say i got a bargain or can include the price, its up to them if they want to post the price.

i understand people can say ooh but most of the posts are by noobs but if you follow this thread and read through it you will see they are bargains.also you will see unkle is a mod so hes hardly spoofing now isnt he

Thanks for the response. You'll forgive me for being a bit suspicious of someone posting how great a bargain they got without telling what they got and for how much. I understand where you're coming from, and am sure there is great value to be had, I'd just prefer to be reading of specifics so I can compare his prices across a range of mattresses with those available in stores near me so that I can compare like with like. Whatever way Mickey has things set up, this does not seem possible. Judging by the amount of posts on here you'd have to conclude that this is not by design.

no worries, im heading to tullamore this weekend and thats why im going down. if you could make a day of it with a internet enabled phone or even bring a wifi laptop, anything you see write it down. theres a coffee shop up the road and a mcdonalds as well. you can then check put the prices online and if you wanted you havent come back to dub, head to him tell him if you want them or not.

we wanted a bed 1st time, saw a beautiful bed in the warehouse asked him how much, he told me make and name, while he was explaining i looked on an english site. the price of the bed there was over 4kstg!

you could always email him for stuff you are after and see if he gets back to you. i know when we bought our stuff the more we got the cheaper it worked out.

hope it helps mate, whatever you end up doing

get a list of prices of stores nearby, go to mickey or email him and ask if he has them.

@ Cs.

ours is the silentnight mattress. its super comfy and brilliant too, just noticed he has the sealy one for 300, if thats 880stg, I would suggest get that one too. Shame I have no need for another bed. I would defo buy one at that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I can understand the suspicions about Bigmickey and all the posts that come up recommending his beds and mattresses.
    When I read some of the origional postings in 2009 I thought it was a big joke but the good reviews seemed to be coming from a wide range of posters both old and new.

Im on my fourth mattress this year because I decided to buy local, in Dublin, from a big warehouse type place on the Northside and I also decided to buy Irish.
    I was looking for a firm mattress because of some back pain I was feeling on waking most mornings and thought that would sort it out.
    The place I went to didnt have much of a range of firm mattresses, they tended to be medium or soft, but I chose one of the available firm pocket sprung ones for around 400 euro.

The first mattress I bought sank within a couple of weeks and fair play to the company I bought from, they sent out a rep from the manufactuer and within a few weeks I was given the choice of a new mattress or my money back.
    I went with a new mattress same make same model with reassurances that if anything went wrong with it they would take it back no quibbles.
    To my dismay within a few weeks the new mattress was showing signs of sinking in the middle but at this stage I began to think it was my imagination.
    So I kept sleeping on it hoping I would get use to it, or it would balance out if I kept turning it, or put some more board under it.
    When I rang to complain the company were true to their word took back the second mattress and I chose a third mattress, different make and had it delivered.

This time the mattress didnt sink but I just wasnt comfortable.
    I thought I would get use to it but after a couple of months of waking up with my back aching I decided I couldnt return the mattress but would have to buy a new one.
    I contacted Mick in desperation by e-mail and asked him if there was such a thing as a mattress that would support my back but have enough give or topping that I could lay on my side without hurting my shoulder.
    He really took care of me and told me if I wasnt happy with his mattress he would take it away and give me back my money but he was determined to find something for me.

Im posting all this to illustrate that I am a fussy customer when it comes to beds and I wouldnt be writing its marvelous unless it was.
    I bought a Harrison mattress for 700 euro from Mick.
    I had the choice of two firm mattresses that I thought would fit the bill one for about 299 and the Harrison one for 700.
    Mick suggested if I could afford it at all to go for the Harrison as everyone who gets them seem to rave about them and I wouldnt regret it as they are one of the best you can buy.
    All I can say is my back feels so much better and when I just sit on that mattress before getting into it at night I know from the feel of it, every time, that it is just right and I say Thank God.

There you go thats my experience, Im an old poster, I dont know if you would get cheaper anywhere else but I would never have come across that brand and at last with Micks help I found what I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ambersky can I ask the details of the mattresses. Type and model etc. On the look out for good mattresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Apparently when Mick gets in a container of mattresses the Harrison ones at least have the labels removed and are re wrapped.
    Its a bit like TK Max I think, he gets in old stock for resale at much reduced prices but not all labels want to be associated with this kind of resale.
    Not to mention the shops who are trying to sell at top prices.
    I did see a lot of other brands with lables left on.
    Harrison seem to be particularly fussy about their reputation as an exclusive brand.

So I cant tell you the exact model of mattress just the manufacturer.
    If you do a search online you will read more about the kinds of mattress Harrison produce, all I can say is mine is really luxurious and comfy.
    If you are looking for a mattress you could do a lot worse than going over to Micks place and trying out a few mattresses.
    I cant imagine you not finding something that would suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I was on to bigmickey yesterday and he was unloading 2 containers of Silent Night and Rest Assured matresses (a factory in the UK closed down)

He's having one of his monthly sales this weekend. He says its the biggest ever.

He was very helpful on the phone and saved me a trip to Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

i have two single beds to give away does anyone know where would take them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AdobeDot

Came on here to say thank you so much for this thread!

I have been looking for ages for a decent furniture store and at the weekend took a trip down based on some of the posts on here. Stopped off at the coffee shop near mcdonalds on the way to see what the rough prices were. On the way back to the car we noticed a furniture store across the road from the coffee shop but it wasnt open. it was here that someone told us about bigmickey as well. now we were already going down but someone took the time to try stop us going to other stores.

my wife and 2 kids got to bigmickey and he asked us did we want a cup of tea, we all said no and just walked around his store. looking at the beds, jumping on them to try them out and just checking out the prices. my daughter had a print out of some prices and was also checking out the prices on line, like someone above said.

tried out a bed, was comfortable took a note of it. then went into the sofa area, found a sofa we liked and asked mick then how much, the bed was within our price range but the sofa we couldnt really afford this time around. no bother said mick he would hold it for us. Got back home to tullamore and went to the pub just talking about what we bought when a friend of mine came over and told me that they go to the store all the time.
    decent bloke to deal with, nice guy cant wait to find out what the bed is going to be like when it arrives this week. forget the actual one we bought as it was the daughter picking it and all i was doing was paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

spcw wrote: »
    i have two single beds to give away does anyone know where would take them

You could try the Buy & Sell, they have a freebies section.

http://www.freetradeireland.ie/

We have used this before and great to make sure someone else uses things you no longer need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It's my second time using Big Mickey, went to his shop on Friday and had my lovely bed delivered free this morning.

It's a double Hilton divan for €299, and it is SO comfortable. The mattress is 12" thick :).

I was looking for a specific colour headboard, Mickey took us out to the containers in the back, had a root around and gave me a fab suede effect padded headboard which was very slightly shop soiled for free!

Again, I'm a very happy customer and really recommend him and the staff there. They couldn't be more helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I got a Respa 5 foot wide kingsize bed (split divan base with 4 large built in drawers),10 inch thick kingsize memory foam mattress and kingsize brown leather headboard delievered to my house for 540 euro.

Dont know if thats a good price or a bad price though?

Bought it from CP Furniture Sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Classic case of Buyer's remorse. :D

Edit: Long read - Cognitive dissonance.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

^^^Why yes, yes it is.

Don't click that folks.

Handy site to unshorten those links. Tells you if they're dodgy aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Already reported patonxb in Spammer Notification Thread.

Like the unshorten site you linked, btw!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Esel wrote: »
    ^ Already reported patonxb in Spammer Notification Thread.

Like the unshorten site you linked, btw!
    You beat me to it, went to report myself.smile.gif

It is a handy site, shortened links are everywhere now, can be added to firefox aswell.

• Advertisement

I just got a superking size mattress from Big Mickey. Excellent price, great service and the delivery lads were very nice and insisted in carrying the mattress up to the bedroom.

Thanks Mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Is the bigmickey stock genuine? How do you know its not fakes with a label slapped on it?

Dee,

The mattress I got I believe is genuine, he bought a job lot from a factory in the UK that was shutting down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-16781612

eboarde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭chelbi

dee. wrote: »
    Is the bigmickey stock genuine? How do you know its not fakes with a label slapped on it?

Dee, I can only speak from my experience, I can honestly say that all his stock is genuine. I have bought various items from him including a bed and I am more than delighted with everything that I got:D. I have recommended him to friends who were more than happy with their purchases also, he delivers free of charge in most cases and seems to enjoy a good haggle. If I were you and you are looking to buy, then pop into him at the shop and you will be able to see the quality for yourself and I should add his prices are very reasonable:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I have been watching this tread for quite a while and finally took the plunge and drove up to Longford for his bank holiday sale at the beginning of the month, at first glimps at the shop I looked at my other half and went OH God what a wasted journey, but once we went in and said what we were looking for "Big Mickey" was extremly helpful, actually too helpful as he gave us so many mattresses to choose from, in the end I bought a kingsize Silentnight Mattress, so sorry I didnt go for Super Kingsize now, as there isnt much difference between a king and a double. I also bought a solid oak wooden frame to go with it.

The icing on the top, he through in free delivery, a kingsize duvet, a fitted sheet and 2 pillows for our first nights sleep. Def will go back up again when I have another few euros saved and buy another bed off him. It was a pleasure dealing with him, would def recommend him to family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 e.allen

I took a trip to big mickeys from Wexford a while back, I got 2 beds, matresses and head boards at a very reasonable rate and he delivered them at no extra charge.
    I have since used him for beds for apartments in Dublin also delivered no extra charge(deal done over the phone).
    I cannot recommend this store enough, I travelled on my own with my 2 month old daughter and as soon as I walked in the door it was like walking into a relatives house. They offered me tea and his wife even entertained my baby!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

shortie111 wrote: »
    As you can see, a double of this mattress is £699 (€800+) in argos whereas I got a kingsize for €299

Indeed. I got a single of that very same mattress (£559 in the UK) for €199 from Mickey a few months ago. Including (free) delivery.

Unbelievable quality A-brand mattress (1000 springs and thick top layer of memory foam), for that kinda money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

e.allen wrote: »
    I took a trip to big mickeys from Wexford a while back, I got 2 beds, matresses and head boards at a very reasonable rate and he delivered them at no extra charge.
    I have since used him for beds for apartments in Dublin also delivered no extra charge(deal done over the phone).
    I cannot recommend this store enough, I travelled on my own with my 2 month old daughter and as soon as I walked in the door it was like walking into a relatives house. They offered me tea and his wife even entertained my baby!!:D

just out of curiosity, did he ask you to register on boards and and post about your good experience in his shop? no harm either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 e.allen

....yes he did!!!! I was already on boards and he was showing me all the feedback he was getting from customers, guess he is just proud to have a good reputation on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Its common for matresses in the UK to be offered on a two month trial returned mattresses are 'disposed' of through third party channels. Some even go to the trouble of reupholstering them. Wouldn't bother me at all and I'm sure its a million percent cleaner than any hotel mattress you've slept on :eek: but it does explain how some shops can sell genuine, high quality matresses at dramatically reduced prices. Not saying thats the case with Big Mickey mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Another reccomendation for big Mickey here, I gave him a ring looking for a kingsize mattress he was selling me one for about €300 when he remembered he had some of the silentnight mattress now memory mattresses left which he sold me for €200, organised delivery straight away received it the next day, have had numerous phonecalls from the man himself making sure I'm happy with it which I am. Probably the most conmfortable mattress I've ever had and probably the best customer service I've ever experienced in Ireland. My two cents.

• Advertisement

I have been on here a few times but just have to tell you about my cousins new sofa set, she went down there looking for a large corner sofa and came back with a sofa set from House of Fraser. the cost alone was a lot less than your standard sofa set in argos. She also went down on Paddys day and got it delivered on Mothers day!
    She hasnt a boards account but has asked me to comment here.
    there are a few lurkers here and they check the posts, which is how I initially found out about big mickey. 3 beds, 2 sofas, a tv stand, table and 6 chairs and 2 dressing tables later I have to say I wouldnt shop anywhere else.

If people still chose not to go down to him and see what he has or contact him thats their business, but in these times my money is my money and I get more bang for my euro than some of my friends who have shopped elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Richie ProParts

Another great experience from myself also.

Had stumbled on this thread while browsing and wasnt totally happy with our existing mattress, so on our way back from sligo we passed his store on bank holiday monday of paddy's weekend and turned around when we spotted a car outside, he actually wasn't open but had a arranged a quick meeting with a local builder to price some work.

Anyway told him we were looking for a mattress and he said sure come in, 10mins later we were out deal done on a rest assured superking size @ €399 ,suffice to say 2 days later it was delivered to our door.

Cant speak highly enough about the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Another great experience from myself also.

Had stumbled on this thread while browsing and wasnt totally happy with our existing mattress, so on our way back from sligo we passed his store on bank holiday monday of paddy's weekend and turned around when we spotted a car outside, he actually wasn't open but had a arranged a quick meeting with a local builder to price some work.

Anyway told him we were looking for a mattress and he said sure come in, 10mins later we were out deal done on a rest assured superking size @ €399 ,suffice to say 2 days later it was delivered to our door.

Cant speak highly enough about the service.

As a matter of interest which rest assured mattress did you get?

Would it be on there web site here http://www.thesleepshop.co.uk/acatalog/Rest_Assured_Mattresses.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Was over at mickey's again at the sale on Friday with my sister. I got a good deal with sheets and pillows while my sister got a superking rest assured clarke 2000 pkt memory mattress for €599 (pic attached showing the same mattress in argos for over €1700 :eek:) Both very happy customers with goods and service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1700 and got 3.5 stars, ouch! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Just wanted to add to the praise for Big Mickey.
    I mailed him Monday evening at about 11pm enquiring about a memory foam mattress.
    I advised I had a max budget of €400 to spend, he directed me instead to one for half that & sent several mails back & forth with more info/advice.

I rang Tuesday morning at 10am to pay & had it in my house by lunch time Wednesday.
    He followed up with a phone call to ensure it had arrived safe & sound too.

Absolutely brilliant service & the mattress itself I am thrilled with.

It's a Silent Night memory foam mattress. I located the same one online from the UK for £299/€365
    http://www.silentnight.co.uk/product.aspx?pageid=220&pgroupid=33&prodid=174

He could just as easy have tried get me to buy a dearer mattress so major kudos there.
    I'd definitely buy from him again & would have no hesitation recommending this store to anyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

I also have nothing but praise for using BigMickey.

Excellant service and after service. I've used him twice, once for a really small purchase and on the second occasion I spent about 1400 on a leather corner couch, beds, headboards ect. On both occasions the service was genuine and helpful. He also gave me advise on fitting out a rental apartment. I called out to the showroom to have a nose and it took less then an hour from the M50 and there's a mcdonalds down from the showroom so that kept my daughter happy too. ;)

Always happy to praise decent people doing decent business :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

0scar wrote: »
    Had a look in a local furniture & bed shop today, came across the K2 sleep spa gel mattress range, very nice indeed, I know they're on the market a few years but don't know anyone who's had one, and it's hard to find decent reviews online - has anyone any experience of them - wonder would it be something Big Mickey would have in stock?

Would be interested in same - gel mattreses are pricy ones. Did anybody hear about Metzeler Platinium Tubes 126? Could't find reps in Ireland so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 treasureguard

The Gride wrote: »
    Was over at mickey's again at the sale on Friday with my sister. I got a good deal with sheets and pillows while my sister got a superking rest assured clarke 2000 pkt memory mattress for €599 (pic attached showing the same mattress in argos for over €1700 :eek:) Both very happy customers with goods and service.

Now it is 692 in Argos - still good deal
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6952884/Trail/searchtext%3EREST+ASSURED.htm

bigmickey still claims it's 1700 in Argos :
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bedroom/2986421

Yes there are savings made but customers need to be aware ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Thumbs up from me!

Rang him last Tuesday, he talked me through various options and I settled on one for €200 incl delivery to Dublin.

Mattress was delivered first thing Thursday (as agreed).

Was contacted by him that evening to ensure delivery was made and I was happy.

I've not tested the mattress yet as I've been away but I'm sure going by other reviews here I have nothing to worry about.

Also confident that if there was a problem I'd be dealing with the best man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Originally Posted by The Gride
    Was over at mickey's again at the sale on Friday with my sister. I got a good deal with sheets and pillows while my sister got a superking rest assured clarke 2000 pkt memory mattress for €599 (pic attached showing the same mattress in argos for over €1700 ) Both very happy customers with goods and service.
    Now it is692 in Argos - still good deal
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...ST+ASSURED.htm
    Yes there are savings made but customers need to be aware

I agree treasureguard, customers need to be aware.

I just checked with Argos to see how their deal compared to Bigmickey. Got transferred to Uk call center, apparently everything goes through Uk. Their offer on the RestAssured Clarke 2000 Superking is only for 4 more days (ends May 1st) and it will also take 14 days for delivery and this is to your front door only.They won’t take it inside the house. So by the time you have seen the “offer”and decided to buy, the price will be gone back up to €1700 +. I think I would much prefer to buy from shops like Bigmickey where you can actually see and try out what you are buying in advance, get a great personal delivery service ( same day) and in the event of finding anything wrong with your purchase know that Bigmickey will be there at the speed of light to rectify the problem and yes I have personal experience of this too not to mention speaking directly to the owner of the business rather than some computerised machine.

Also if you buy from Bigmickey today you save €93 but if you buy from him after May 1st you save a whopping €1132 compared to Argos on the mattress alone. Thats definately a bargain alert I think you will agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Stiofain2006

Following reading of every post on this forum I thought it was worth a drive from Clare to Longfod to see what all the fuss is about (4 hours round trip) and I can safely say I was not disappointed. I did not have much to buy and a mattress was the thing I was most interested in. On the day Mick was extremely helpful and walked all over the warehouse with us until we found what made sense. He could have sold us a more expensive mattress but pushed a less expensive one as he was convinced on the quality.

Anyway I made a balls up as I thought the mattress we needed was a king. When we got the mattress home we realised that the bed was a double and not a king. Mick text me to see how the mattress was and when I told him about the balls up I made he could not have been more helpful. He suggested that he have another mattress that I had shown interest in delivered to me. He arranged to have fastway deliver it and even split the cost of delivery with me. As fastway only do one way delivery he said he would leave the 1st mattress with me and just collect it next time they have a delivery down this way. He called again to see how the new one was working out and I advised him its the best night sleep I have ever had.

I have to say Mick could give every major organisation a lesson on customer service. I would (will be recommending him) to everyone I know. Great on price, great on quality and great on customer service - what more do you want?

Thanks for bailing me out of a tight spot Mick!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I was tempted to buy stuff from Micky, especially with reputation build on boards.ie , with many ( not sure how many ) happy customers. I had my own preferences, i believe nothing unusual, made few requests by email and phone. Mick seems to be busy man, but apart from "we might be doing something right" heard nothing more constructive.
    Perhaps it's only me, should be bad time with sales he's doing, after few emails i wrote, i was asked to leave it with him. All i can say - i left it with him and bought locally. Must be hundreds of happy customers, just not me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

So I needed a new mattress....

After finding this thread last week I dropped Mick an email. Got a fast reply and on Wednesday decided to make the purchase. When I called the delivery driver had just left so Mick jumped off the phone to get him back. He rang back to confirm that the mattress was on the way and it was delivered Thursday morning. Mick called on Thursday evening to give me some unpacking tips and advise and to make sure I was happy.
    I have to say, I have had the best few nights sleep in years. The mattress (silent night memory foam) was a bargain at a bit over 200 quid and I can honestly say it is like sleeping in a hotel bed.

So, add me to the long list of people raving about this guy. he knows how to run his business and I will be recommending him to all that will listen. Great to see a business focus on customer service and good prices..... we got to used to being ripped off with crap customer service in the boom.

(Ohh and I'm not a noob posted either :D )

I was looking for a mattress. Having read the stuff here I rang him expecting so amazing customer service, offers and suggestions over the phone. No such thing. Yeah come down and see what you like is what I got. Which is fine and normal and expected. But not what posters on here suggest happen to them. So I remain sceptical about a lot of the posts here, lots of similarly toned "Mick for president" type eulogies with a lack of specifics and detail in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

I always contact him via email first, outling what type of furniture I'm looking for and what the furniture will be used for, ie kids, good room, rental apartment in my case and he would give me appropriate suggestions in return.

In the past he has sent me pics of what he has in stock at the mo, to gauge what I might be interested in. He'll also accept a picture of the type of thing you might have seen elsewhere and try and source something similar in in the UK. Sometimes that can take a bit of to and fro-ing..

I know there are certain days of the week where he is busy loading and offloading trailers from the UK and responses can slow down around then.

It's a real pity your experience wasn't what you expected, but having dealt with Mick the enthusiastic posts on here don't strike me as being in any way dubious. I found him to be very helpful and genuine in his approach to business with me. I was used to dealing with unhelpful, disinterested, rip-off stores in Dublin and anywhere that offers otherwise should be applauded.

I was looking for a mattress. Having read the stuff here I rang him expecting so amazing customer service, offers and suggestions over the phone. No such thing. Yeah come down and see what you like is what I got. Which is fine and normal and expected. But not what posters on here suggest happen to them. So I remain sceptical about a lot of the posts here, lots of similarly toned "Mick for president" type eulogies with a lack of specifics and detail in most cases.

I have posted pictures here of the beds that I got, along with the sofa set, tv stands and kitchen tables. along with prices from other stores for similar items but not as comfy. Each time its only what he has in stock or what he can get for you.
    I have recommended him to most of my family members and friends and cant rave about him highly enough. I have shopped around before I buy something, I would never be one of those people that just go down and buy on the spur of the moment. Though once we are down there it becomes apparent as to the deals we are getting.
    Go down with a smartphone and check the internet while down there. There are also several furniture stores along the way down to him. you can remain sceptical which is your right to, but from having kitted out nearly all of my house in bigmickey stuff and have posted pictures and price comparisons, I will say that should I need anything else, I will give Mick a ring 1st off. Its each to their own and I have no problem championing him because of what we couldve spent compared to what we actually spent and also the great customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Now it is 692 in Argos - still good deal
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6952884/Trail/searchtext%3EREST+ASSURED.htm

Yes there are savings made but customers need to be aware ;)

your link has it at €1731.99 dont see the problem with bigmicky ??? and with only 2 posts can i assume he is hurting your business ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

pm. wrote: »
    your link has it at €1731.99 dont see the problem with bigmicky ??? and with only 2 posts can i assume he is hurting your business ?

Because god forbid someone not come on here and praise big Mickey. We're all entitled to our own opinions. I too, think the deals are not as great as he tries to make out. Some savings, yes, but not always the ones you are told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Could I possibly get his email address I am looking for a particular bed and want to see does he have it in stock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement