Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deal on beds/mattresses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Thanks daytob ill ring him tomorrow
    Just to say Im replacing a 4 year old Silentnight Miracoil Cornflower superking matress that the springs went on both sides. At present we have to prop it up at the edges with books to stop the roll-off

It didn't get abuse. I nor my wife are heavy, just bad quality that cost a packet
    So if anyone's thinking of buying one, think again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

hes doing a comp on facebook at the minute, you could win 500 euros if you like his page, could be handy for a new bed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

It didn't get abuse.

they don't call him Wild Turkey for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Another happy customer and more free advertising.:D

I drove up last Saturday from Dublin to look at beds.
    I bought a kingsize wooden framed one with a Holbein Mattress but decided on the way home that the wooden frame wouldn't suit the room due to the high headboard.

I gave Mick a call on the way home, told him what happened and changed it for a Divan with drawers.
    It wasn't a problem and the bed arrived today with the extra headboard I ordered over the phone yesterday.
    The Holbein Mattress is a 1550 pocket spring which I got for 349. and 300 for the divan with 4 drawers.

I've never had so thick a mattress...looking forward to using it tonight:)

I was looking at standard spring mattresses in bargaintown for €600.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Went to big mickeys last Thursday with the wife & kids.
    Got a super-king Rest Assured pocket memory foam , 2 single memory foam sprung matresses & a few extra bits for just over €700
    Mick is a gentleman & couldn't have asked for a better service , Ill have no problem recommending him to friends & family.

The only problem is it's so comfortable i cant get my wife out of the bed in the mornings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I tried emailing him there now but his mailbox is over quota and it rejected.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I tried emailing him there now but his mailbox is over quota and it rejected.

Thats strange I just emailed him there and not a bother.
    sure you put in the right email address?

daytob wrote: »
    Thats strange I just emailed him there and not a bother.
    sure you put in the right email address?

Yep, info@bigmickey.ie. I rang him and he gave me a different address.

Slept on my new Holbein Mattress last night.

The best nights sleep I had in years...didn't want to get out of it this morning.

The only downside is having to share it with my wife when she gets home.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

300 for the divan with 4 drawers.
    Glad to hear he's consistent. I got same at the weekend just gone, delivered on Tuesday. Great service.

ballooba wrote: »
    Glad to hear he's consistent. I got same at the weekend just gone, delivered on Tuesday. Great service.

You mean I didn't get a special deal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

Something to point out for anyone travelling to Big Mick's. I was down in longford again at the sale last weekend to view something that he ordered in for me. He did'nt disappoint me either.

The directions posted previously on here are now obsolete. The new bypass road is now open so if coming from Dublin there are 4 roundabouts instead of 3 to go through (as previously posted) and his shop is just half a mile up the road on the righthand side from 4th roundabout. This is the new road to Mayo I am referring to. No more traffic delays for us on the way to visit the in laws in Castlebar anymore.

Its a straight road all the way from dublin now to Big Mick's shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grange mac

furmi wrote: »
    Something to point out for anyone travelling to Big Mick's. I was down in longford again at the sale last weekend to view something that he ordered in for me. He did'nt disappoint me either.

The directions posted previously on here are now obsolete. The new bypass road is now open so if coming from Dublin there are 4 roundabouts instead of 3 to go through (as previously posted) and his shop is just half a mile up the road on the righthand side from 4th roundabout. This is the new road to Mayo I am referring to. No more traffic delays for us on the way to visit the in laws in Castlebar anymore.

Its a straight road all the way from dublin now to Big Mick's shop.
    And you should go to specsavers if you miss it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hey folks,

Despite the love-in here Big Mickey's is too far for me to travel.

Can anyone recommend someone similar in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

quarryman wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Despite the love-in here Big Mickey's is too far for me to travel.

Can anyone recommend someone similar in the Dublin area?

+1 - my mattress is now passed its prime (like myself!!) so in dire need to get a decent new one but don't have a whole heap to spend on it so any help would be much appreciated!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭PopTarts

If you know what mattress you'd like you can get on to Big Mickey and I'm sure if he has it / can recommend similar he can have it delivered.

I couldn't get to him either but tried out a few, got on to Big Mickey, he was more than happy to help and get it delivered to me.

et101 wrote: »
    +1 - my mattress is now passed its prime (like myself!!) so in dire need to get a decent new one but don't have a whole heap to spend on it so any help would be much appreciated!! :rolleyes:

I am a recent new fan of Big Micks. Two weeks ago I put a 80 + year old neighbour in touch with him for a lift n rise chair. She could not make the journey to Longford so Mick took not 1 but 2 Lift n rise chairs himself to Swords Co. Dublin to let the lady try them out. She liked one of them more than the other so Mick left it with her to try out even further without payment. I know his money is safe with her but that type of service is unusual these days.

I saw on done deal one of his adverts saying that if you can't go to his shop then he will bring items to you to view without obligation to buy.

Found it

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bedroom/3570604

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 caseygkcg

Meant to post my experience of big Mickey here. Got a Harrison (white labelled) split tension with two sets of pillows, delivery and the old one taken away for €600. He rang a few days after delivery to see how I liked the bed.....My back reakons its the best money I've spent in a long time. Would be happy to recommend him for value and customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I was planning on going down with the missus over the weekend
    She has her little heart set on a very luxurious king koil memory foam but
    it's a bit pricey locally
    Does he sell king koil or odearest matresses ?

I tested a kingKoil mattress in Harvey Normans, and it was just incredibly comfortable. Like, unreal comfortable. Not sure if it was memory foam (didn't see that written on the tag) but whatever it was made with, just unreal. It was like €1,200.

What would Big Mick's equivalent quality mattress be (in the KingKoil league)?

drop him a mail and see, afaik from when i went down ages ago his stock changed pretty much every time. but let him know what you want and im sure he will do his best for you.
    he rang me to let me know that he had a blanket box in the same style as the sofa set we bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Cheers daytob, will give him a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shaycass

I ordered a special order mattress from bigmickey.ie in June of this year and asked for delivery for end of September. Other shops quoted me 6 weeks delivery which was not a problem for me but bigmickey.ie contacted me just after 4 days of placing the order to say that they had it made and in stock and would store for me until I was ready for it. The mattress is 100% foam with no springs and is really hard. This is what i ordered and received and the best part of all is I paid way less than half of what I was quoted in 3 other shops.

I have been getting a great nights sleep on this mattress now for the last 2 weeks and am delighted with my purchase and a massive bargain IMO !

Well worth the trip to Longford. I will be back again in the future whenever I need any beds or furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

Not a person who normally jumps on the bandwagon for the sake of it, however I was looking for a Super King Bed at short notice, Got a lot of 1 - 2 weeks notice from other furniture stores for delivery of this, Big Mickey spent 2 hours with us showing us all his Beds/Mattresses and Headboards. Herself is fussy however we were very impressed with the level of customer service we got, not to mention all the extras we bought from him for a good price

Thanks Big Mickey :)
    Regards,
    Ciaran

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Big Mickey was at the Ideal Home Show in the RDS,and there was some fantastic deals to be had all weekend long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey,

was meant to post this a couple of weeks back. As a returning customer to Big Mickey I needed two single beds for a girls bedroom. I got a great deal and Big Mickey even arranged custom made baby-pink leather headboards. Needless to say the two girls are delighted with the beds and so I am with the price!!

Thanks again Big Mickey!

Branners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Would anyone know what the mattress would be similar to the King Koil, really liked it but I know big mickey dont stock them. TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

The Furniture Liquidator Stock King Koil..http://thefurnitureliquidator.ie/
    as does some guy up the north..http://www.newryfurniture.co.uk/?gclid=CPG90-D2zLMCFQzKtAod1EYA7A as do Harvey Norman ( I think)

I just bought the spinal luxury one recently and it is lovely :). Pity Big Mickey doesn't stock them. I tried him first. :( I've read here the Harrison beds Mick does are great.

Happy hunting :D

foodaholic wrote: »
    Would anyone know what the mattress would be similar to the King Koil, really liked it but I know big mickey dont stock them. TIA

You could try Harrison. Big Mick has them. I tried them in his shop in Longford but unfortunately not within my budget. He was selling them for way less than half of the RRP. I read lots about them on this thread here from guys that got them. I think price was around €700. They seemed magnificent. Maybe next time.

thanks, will try a few harrisons so. Weekend lying down for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

I got a harrison mattress from Mick a few wks back and the service/price was second to none something I haven't experienced in any of the other stores in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

foodaholic wrote: »
    FYI Caseys in Cork city have a few KK ones left and all are half price. They are remnants from the 90th anniversary the shop had recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

jacool wrote: »
    FYI Caseys in Cork city have a few KK ones left and all are half price. They are remnants from the 90th anniversary the shop had recently.

How much are they at half price? Thanks

Does anyone have an email address that I can email Big Mickey on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 marber1978

I meant to write this a few weeks ago - I am going to reiterate all the good feedback, this man is unbelievable, I've never experienced someone to go out of their way so much for you.. Totally committed to great service - we got a mattress and storage bed, delighted with both, thanks a million to big mickey! Strongly recommend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

Likewise, I should have posted sooner as I got a mattress, base and headboard off bigmickey last summer and it was the best money ever spent.

I got a 6.5 x 6.5 foot Hypnos mattress as part of the package, paid @€;500-ish in total ( got sheets also) and bigmickey delivered it to us on a Saturday night as we couldn't take it any other time. This man is so patient and helpful.
    I checked the Hypnos website and the same mattress alone, in the uk, was 1900pounds sterling!!:eek:

Brilliant bed, there's enough room for 2 of us to sleep like a starfish when we feel like it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭leitrim1

This has to be a bargain alert IMO from www.bigmickey.ie

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bedroom/4289092

Got 2 of these Forty winks single beds with underneath storage for €99 each for complete bed. Saw them on Donedeal. Normal price in Argos €391.99. On half price sale in Argos now but still unbelievable value at €99.

The twins say a big Thank you Big mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭sue97

Following on from a comment here, gave him a call and he brought down a bed for my Dad to view.

Came down a week later with a matching headboard.

Great sales man and service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Slept on my new Holbein Mattress last night.

The best nights sleep I had in years...didn't want to get out of it this morning.

The only downside is having to share it with my wife when she gets home.:rolleyes:

I think I'll go for that mattress. I called Mickey yesterday he said last number in stock. They seem to be pretty good for the price :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 diaquinn

I think I'll go for that mattress. I called Mickey yesterday he said last number in stock. They seem to be pretty good for the price :)

Fair play to you, I got the best spring mattress I ever had for a similar price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

Travelled from Galway on Sunday afternoon to BigMickey's... the guy could not be more helpful, informative but not pushy.. no rush either, despite it going past 6pm. We reckon we saved at least 200 on the mattress we selected, compared with the Galway 'new year sale' prices we'd looked at.

and the icing on the cake, free delivery to Galway, which happened on Monday morning (he did have a planned run to Loughrea for the Mon/Tues), but it was still less than 24hrs. :D In Galway, some of the stores have outsourced delivery to private guys, so you pay for delivery. :mad:

Despite my excellent experience, I would say you can be lucky & find something which suits, or not, as his model appears to be a delivery from the UK on a monthly basis. Good idea perhaps to ring & mention what you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

was looking at the Mirocoil but read this....
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews236826.html

So back to the drawing board, any suggestions ? MY back is not great :) but I want to sleep in a cloud haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Ok, I just called the guy, I know this thread looks like a SHRINE to BIG MICKIE !! But I could hear he was out of breath so I started with asking if it was a bad time and offered to call back, the guy said not at all he was loading a container and stayed on the phone answering all my questions...

So I have found my supplier, all I need to do now is choose my bed... TOP SERVICE !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

We wanted a RestAssured 1000 pocket memory mattress just before Xmas advertised at 299 on the site, called and he said it's out of stock, but he has the 1200 Pocket for 350 - we went with that, but they delivered the Pocket 1000 for 350. Don't know the differences between the 2, only wanted to share our experience... Maybe should have said something on delivery, but only noticed the different name after we had it unpacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

rocky,

no harm in following up with him..you might get the €50 back...

W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

We got a Sealy Hyatt bed and mattress (Contract Size) from Big Mick last week. Delivery was free and the guy who dropped it off even helped me put it together which was great as it is a massive bed. We got the bed and mattress for 750 euro. I think its about 1500 to 2000 in retail depending on where you buy it.

I have the bed since last Thursday now and I have to say its incredibly comfortable and very spacious, which is what we needed with the child getting in with us in the middle of the night every night!

The service was fantastic from Mick, came back to me on whatever questions I had when I was deciding on what bed to get, has been in contact with me since I got the bed asking if we were happy with it so far. Really nice guy and this bed and mattress is defo a bargain at that price!

I would definitely recommend giving him a shout if your in the market for a good bed and mattress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Greenview wrote: »
    Despite my excellent experience, I would say you can be lucky & find something which suits, or not, as his model appears to be a delivery from the UK on a monthly basis. Good idea perhaps to ring & mention what you're after.

He has a facebook page also that he updates with photos, and if you phone/email him giving him an idea of what you are after he will let you know what he has in. He goes to the UK regularly too so if there is something specific you want he will look out for it. He is currently keeping an eye out for a sofa I am after and keeps in regular touch with me each time he is heading to the UK. Will take photos etc and then you can let him know if its suitable.
    Can't ask fairer than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Would Big Mick deliver to Cork lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

sunny2004 wrote: »
    was looking at the Mirocoil but read this....
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews236826.html

So back to the drawing board, any suggestions ? MY back is not great :) but I want to sleep in a cloud haha

Tempur all the way! Expensive but worth it - I got mine in the UK with free delivery. I think there's details in past post in this thread. Cost me 1800 were it's 3 to 4K in Arnotts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Would Big Mick deliver to Cork lads?

He does indeed, got a mattress delivered here before.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement