Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Finder to Diseqc Switch

• 19-01-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Anyone know if a diseqc switch can provide power to one of those cheap sat finder things. Obviously with the receiver on at the other end.

Im trying to align my dish as it got knocked off a bit with wind but cant get any power to the sat finder.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I would expect that the switch should pass the power through... otherwise how would the lnb get power?
    Perhaps it wasn't the wind that resulted in your lost reception - maybe the switch is bust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes it can as long as the Receiver is powering the Diseqc switch.

Of course proper meters allow you to power the Disqec switch & LNB without receiver and let you select port, H or V and high or Low band and measure quality for Skew adjustment or interference detection. Usually they tell you what satellite you found also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

Yes, the receiver is powering the diseqc switch and I do have some signal on 19.2 and 13 but it is very weak which suggests that the switch is fine.

I tried with one of those lidl sat finders and a sat beeper and both were completely dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

I have a Lidl sat beeper. I need to plug an earphone into it to hear the beep. If you have a similar beeper, have you done that? Checked that the earphone works? And that your extra link cable is sound?

Also, maybe obvious, but you will need to switch the receiver unto the satellite/lnb you're trying to align. If a channel or TP on 13E is selected, and you've the beeper connected to the 19E lnb, it's not going to beep.

Connect without the switch to rule it out.

I know with my beeper, if all hardware is fine, there will be a noise from the earphone, even if the lnb isn't connected to the dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

tmcw wrote: »
    I have a Lidl sat beeper. I need to plug an earphone into it to hear the beep. If you have a similar beeper, have you done that? Checked that the earphone works? And that your extra link cable is sound?

Also, maybe obvious, but you will need to switch the receiver unto the satellite/lnb you're trying to align. If a channel or TP on 13E is selected, and you've the beeper connected to the 19E lnb, it's not going to beep.

Connect without the switch to rule it out.

I know with my beeper, if all hardware is fine, there will be a noise from the earphone, even if the lnb isn't connected to the dish.

Thanks, the earphone I have works, however, when I was trying to align, the receiver was tuned to 28.2 east so I will try tuning to the correct satellite and try again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement