Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what AWD hatchback?

• 19-01-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

wife is looking for a new All wheel drive hachback. After the snow its stuck on her mind. Was thinking of the SX4 or juke but finding people with stock is hard.

Any other cars that you can think off that I have missed? :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Maybe she just needs the right tyres on a FWD car?

Seriously. Why pay extra VRT, road tax and fuel (all year) for the two weeks a year there is snow.

If you go to Sweden or Finland, you will not see many 4x4 cars.. but "normal" cars with winter tyres.

That said I do like the Panda 4x4... get the diesel "Cross" version from the UK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep this has been said but i think her mind is set at this stage.
    I was thinking something with a 2/4wd system so its not always on.

Thanks, i will look into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fiat Sedici is the same as the Suzuki but I don't think there are many AWD's most people bought the 2wd versions for reasons of cost and economy.
    I would go the winter tyre route before getting a new car! They made a massive difference to my wifes FWD car for about €270 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Honda CRV, my parents have one in canada where there is snow 6 months of the year. They are on their 2nd one now, first one they had for 4 years and never had a warranty claim, second one they have had now for 2 years (new model) and it has never had a warranty claim either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nissan Juke isn't AWD it's FWD. Murano is AWD.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nissan Juke isn't AWD it's FWD. Murano is AWD.

You can get a AWD Juke but they are hard to come by.

Link:

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/new-nissan-juke-1-6-dig-t-tekna-4wd-review_22577

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Fiat Sedici is the same as the Suzuki but I don't think there are many AWD's most people bought the 2wd versions for reasons of cost and economy.
    I would go the winter tyre route before getting a new car! They made a massive difference to my wifes FWD car for about €270 euro.

Yep she is hell bent on a AWD car and no amount of me saying dilly dally about anything will change her mind so...

Anyhoo, Fiat Sedici is no longer sold by Fiat, still some 2010's round however. Think it's going to be a SX4 but AWD wont be here till May.

Thanks for your responce.

Honda CRV, my parents have one in canada where there is snow 6 months of the year. They are on their 2nd one now, first one they had for 4 years and never had a warranty claim, second one they have had now for 2 years (new model) and it has never had a warranty claim either.

Thanks for idea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I know someone in the UK who has a 4x4 Panda and is very pleased with it apart from the microscopic fuel tank. It went everywhere in the recent heavy snow.

I wouldn't worry about whether they are part time/full time 4wd, the majority these days will be full time and handle the torque split automatically. Another thing to bear in mind is that 4x4s can be heavier on tyres and you must keep them matched.

101sean wrote: »
    I know someone in the UK who has a 4x4 Panda and is very pleased with it apart from the microscopic fuel tank. It went everywhere in the recent heavy snow.

I wouldn't worry about whether they are part time/full time 4wd, the majority these days will be full time and handle the torque split automatically. Another thing to bear in mind is that 4x4s can be heavier on tyres and you must keep them matched.

Good advice, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

As a 'fun runabout' I've always liked the look of the second generation Terios.

4wd_terios_back.jpg

Make sure you look for the 4WD version.

Then there's the Toyota RAV, I prefer the shape of the second generation model:

Toyota-RAV4-2-Copy.jpeg

Or there's the Pajero Junior.

mitsubishi_pajero_junior_zr11_92257877343416705.jpg

Can you get a 4Motion version of the Golf? I think you can. Or there's the Yeti from Skoda.......................

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

COOL! This is just what I need. :)

Thanks so much for the ideas, loads to hunt now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how about an audi with quattro? Not so many around, but couple of oldish A3/A4 avants on carzone with quattro for ok money.

copacetic wrote: »
    how about an audi with quattro? Not so many around, but couple of oldish A3/A4 avants on carzone with quattro for ok money.

Yep good find, added! :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

4WD Suzuki Jimny's have a good rep for being reliable, easy on gargal.

I heard a lot of good feedback about the small 4X4 for the price they sell for.

Going to be fairly insurance friendly/cheap tax oriented machine too.

Cool! She really likes the look of those now that I think of it. ;) added!

Thanks!

Lol and here's me thinking it would be an impossible task... kinda fine researching fun for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The Jimny is a great little runaround but you wouldn't want do a long journey in one. My sister had one and loved it, had to go when first child came along.

101sean wrote: »
    The Jimny is a great little runaround but you wouldn't want do a long journey in one. My sister had one and loved it, had to go when first child came along.

Well she wont be bringing the kids in it as it's just for work and back, about 1Hr max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Audi S3;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Skyline R32 GTR? Just kidding... an Impreza maybe? Some 1.5's knocking around. The Suzuki Vitara 1.6 isn't too bad,but again watch out for 2wd versions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement