Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blu Ray trouble.

Options
  • 19-01-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could help me out.

Before Christmas 2009 I bought a blu ray player out of Argos. It worked fine up until before Christmas just gone (a year after purchase) then it progressively got worse ( not playing select discs, playing discs 50% of the time, not playing any discs).

I know the year guarantee is up but is there something about a 2 year parts guarantee in which I am entitled to a repair if it stops working within two years or should I just throw it out and look for a new one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Afaik bluray players sometimes need firmware upgrades, but I see youve also posted in the HE forum, maybe they will help with that side of it.

Items like this are expected to last for a reasonable time. (The time span depends on the item.) The time span is given as two years in EU law but in Ireland its different and can be up to 6 years.

The firmware issue aside, I would think you would expect to get more than a year from a player and that it is reasonable to bring it back to Argos and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Oryx wrote: »
    Afaik bluray players sometimes need firmware upgrades, but I see youve also posted in the HE forum, maybe they will help with that side of it.

Items like this are expected to last for a reasonable time. (The time span depends on the item.) The time span is given as two years in EU law but in Ireland its different and can be up to 6 years.

The firmware issue aside, I would think you would expect to get more than a year from a player and that it is reasonable to bring it back to Argos and see what they say.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I tried downloading any available firmware for it and installed it and it made no difference. From my limited knowledge I reckon there is a problem with the lens.

I will get in touch with Philips and Argos (although I thought the retailer only dealt with immediate refunds).

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not Philips, it's Argos who you have your contract with, they are your first port of call

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But do Argos not only have to cover the item they sell for the 1st year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

slave1 wrote: »
    Not Philips, it's Argos who you have your contract with, they are your first port of call

Although saying that the Manufacturer sometimes has a far better service than the retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

NIMAN wrote: »

No, this is a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

NIMAN wrote: »

Argos are the retailer and your contract is with them - so that is where you start.

This "one year" thing you have in your head is probably related to the warranty which is in addition to your statutory rights.

Start with Argos and see what they say. Make sure to bring the receipt with you.

Advertisement