Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending broadband out to sticks via aerial?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Here's the scenario:-

I have a mate who lives in town and he can get all the broadband offerings that are available.

I live in the sticks and we were getting our broadband from Imagine Breeze Wireless but they discontinued it.

My mate also has a nice high mast, that may very well have line of sight to my place.

What I would like to know is would it be possible to say subscribe to 100mb broadband with UPC and send that out to my place or is it prohibitively expensive to go and do such a setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's theoretically possible, but the equipment involved is not cheap, and you are required to purchase a licence from ComReg. AFAIK.

This is the kind of thing you're looking for.

About $2,500 for the Access Point & subscriber unit :D

I'd be surprised though if there weren't smaller-scale products available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Sort out forst whether you have line of sight or not. If you can PM me accurate GPS coordinates for the 2 locations I can give you a good idea of LOS and exact distance between them. Everything depends on LOS and distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Don't use 900mhz, licensed to mobile phone operators. 5GHz is what you need and is usable without license once the EIRP of the link doesn't exceed 33dbm.
    Is there a line of sight and what would the distance be?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Thanks for the replies lads!

I'm pretty confident there is LOS although I can't confirm it yet.

What speeds can you get up to on a wireless connection?

bhickey, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

mfield wrote: »
    bhickey, I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
    Oops. I thought I'd replied.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Just an average but depending on the equipment needed I'd say you would have to spend about €400. Honestly though if you were sharing the cost of the bb with your mate you would have it payed for in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Depends on the distance, LOS and equipment but 50 megabits or more is possible.

Ok, this is looking like a runner.

Not sure I can get UPC at the house where the mast is located, but I can get it down the road in another mates house and I can send it from there to the mast and on out to us in middle of no-where. :)

Big thanks to bhickey for the advice.

Next up is to price the cost of the equipment; looking a lot cheaper than I originally thought.

Does anyone know of any installers for this kind of stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does anyone know of any installers for this kind of stuff?

Where are You based?

Not sure I can get UPC at the house where the mast is located, but I can get it down the road in another mates house and I can send it from there to the mast and on out to us in middle of no-where. :)

It'd make life much simpler if you get UPC in the house with the mast. Don't let UPC know what you're doing - they mightn't be happy with all this carry on.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Where are You based?

Kildare.
    bhickey wrote: »
    It'd make life much simpler if you get UPC in the house with the mast. Don't let UPC know what you're doing - they mightn't be happy with all this carry on.

I know it would, but would it be much of a problem to do it the other way?

I'm not doing anything :p

Advertisement