Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off in Lieu of overtime worked

Options
  • 19-01-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Working for a very busy company for the last few months. Their policy (like many other companies) for overtime worked is that we can take time off but not use our holiday time.

The issue is that while I am working approx 6 or 7 hours overtime a week, we are always so busy that I can't take time off! Its a small company with very short deadlines and I am production manager. Anytime taking time off is mentioned there is a big thing made about it and that we are so busy that we need all our staff in. The boss seems to be insatiable when it comes to getting work done, he would open 24/7 if he was able, and always changes the subject when I bring up issue of taking my overtime back.

Has anyone else dealt with this before or does your company run a similar policy? How do you deal with getting time off?

I know how completely wrong this is and I should be either getting paid for the hours I work or should be taking this time off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Overtime is no use if you dont get paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes you only ask for time in lieu once, you learn from the look there's no point asking again! Sorry I'm not much help.

Is it easier to get your 4 weeks hols or do ye shut down?

If it is easier, build up a week and just book it as you would holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

The issue is that while I am working approx 6 or 7 hours overtime a week, we are always so busy that I can't take time off! Its a small company with very short deadlines and I am production manager.

Most managers and even senior staff are salaried and do not get paid overtime and cannot avail of flexitime.

Does your contract actually mention time off in lieu? - in my last job my contract did not allow for overtime, but allowed flexitime but it wasn't guaranteed (it was at manager's discretion). unused flexitime could only be carried forward up to 7 hours. the contract specifically said "given the professional nature of the job you may be expected to work late" or something along those lines.. basically to stick around until the work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Is the time in lieu being accounted for properly. Eg a sign off sheet agreeing it occured between yourself and the company and that it is being banked. Once this starts to add up you then need to have it formally transferred to your holiday balance. This should focus minds on the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Days in lieu are supposed to be taken within 4 weeks of the day its given for, at the discretion of the employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In my experience, most places do this out of habit, and it becomes culture in a organisation. Regardless if achieves anything. Often it doesn't. To get away from it, you generally have to change jobs, in my experience. I've done it when I've thought it worth it. I've also walked away when I've though it wasn't worth it. The majority of times, its not worth doing, you get so little, if anything back.

Advertisement