Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android one year later....

Options
  • 19-01-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Its coming up on my 1st Anniversary with Android and my much loved (and hated at times) HTC hero so I thought I might add my tuppence worth on how it’s been:

I got my HTC hero approx 1 year around the same time as Android got its very own brand spanking new forum. So far the key points from my experience have been

The battery life isn’t great! A Smartphone uses more power and will probably only last 24 hours (48 with some custom roms). If you don’t like charging your phone every night then don’t buy a Smartphone

Don’t wait so long to root your phone and install custom ROM’s. I waited 6 months and when I finally done it, I couldn’t believe how easy I was. Since then I have added numerous customs ROM’s and Radios and almost always been better off than if I had stuck with the HTC Rom

Forums, web tutorials, walkthroughs are very helpful. “Don’t know how to root it?” Then find a tutorial or youtube to show you how to.

Android can be frustrating at times especially when its new but with a little bit of patience and time, you’ll get used to it.

Apps I like:
    • 3G watchdog: Had it since the day I got the phone and never had a single problem with it. Does exactly what it says on the tin.
    • Advanced task killer: Same as above.
    • SoccerLiveScores: Great footballs scores app. Been on since the day I got the phone.
    • Astro: I like it although pretty redundant not that 2.2 ROM has a file manager
    • Goggles: Fantastic app.
    • CoPilot Live!: great satnav app and can be got from spurious sources (but it shouldn’t be got that way)
    • Cabbage: webtext app… Use it rarely but great Idea (I prefer the PC version)
    • Market: Stop changing it around! Works perfectly and very easy to use.
    • Paddypower: betting app…good app. Although I can now bet on the go which isn’t good!
    • Opera Mobile: Browser…Used to like it a lot but I have been using stock browser mostly because opera cant seem to handle wifi networks with a login
    • SwiftKey: The only app that I have paid for. Well worth it…Changes my texting time from about 3 mins to about 30 seconds. 2 thumbs up!
    • TuneWiki: Decent app. Can use it to listen to music and radio.
    • RunKeeper Pro: Got it 2 weeks ago cos it was free for January. Very good app and nice website too. App can be troublesome at times (crashes, silly distances)

All in all I have enjoyed Android hugely over the last year. I reckon my hero could be replaced soon by a fancy new android sporting device but we will see what the future brings!

TL;DR, "Cool Story Bro", "This isnt your blog" replies aswell as real replies welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

neacy69 wrote: »
    Apps I like:
    • Advanced task killer: Same as above.
    • Paddypower: betting app…good app. Although I can now bet on the go which isn’t good!
    • TuneWiki: Decent app. Can use it to listen to music and radio.

Good review. I have my Galaxy S around 2 weeks and just getting used to it, but love it so far.

2 things, is there actually a Paddy Power App? I scanned the code on their website and it just brings you to a mobile site.

On Advanced Task Killer, I thought it was great, but it's apparently not a great idea on Froyo, well, according to this thread anyway.

Does Tunewiki allow for streaming of internet radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

:facepalm.jpg:

STOP promoting task killer, you are just wrecking your phone.

Advertisement