Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford road upgrade (N84)?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

HEADFORD ROAD UPGRADE TO PROGRESS SHORTLY

Galway County Council is preparing to contact landowners along the N84 Headford road about acquiring land for upgrade works.
    The Galway to Headford road has been in a poor state since the Big Freeze and council crews are working to repair potholes in the interim.
    However it's hoped that work on widening and realigning the road will begin by the end of this year.
    A meeting of concerned interests and the County Council was held last week.
    =================================================
    - Saw the above on galwaynews.ie -
    Just wondering if anybody has any further information about this? Anybody know what is the extend of the work proposed/budget? Anybody what section of the roads are the works planned for?

This N84 Galway-Headford road must be approx 25 Km in length? It is probably the most dangerous approach road coming into the city from any direction. It's completely unfit for current volumes of traffic. It's badly in need of a major redesign/reallignment work, and not just a case of filling a few potholes here & there.

Apart from a short section of realignment work done a few years ago near Corrundulla crossroads, I cannot remember any other work done on this N84 road in my lifetime. Just wondering if anybody has any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

I hope it's not more pre-election BS that will be forgotten about in a few months time. It is badly needed. From Cloughanover community centre to Cross Roads near Kilroe village needs a complete overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Western501 wrote: »
    HEADFORD ROAD UPGRADE TO PROGRESS SHORTLY

Galway County Council is preparing to contact landowners along the N84 Headford road about acquiring land for upgrade works along the N84 Headford road about acquiring land for upgrade works.

I thats the stage they're at I wouldn't hold my breath. That process can and usually does take years. Not to mention they're unlikely to have money for the project for many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

Well looks like they've pulled the finger out and started just at the top of the hill by the trading post AND will be working their way towards galway from there i also notice then removing shrubbery from the side of the road too.:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Western501 wrote: »
    This N84 Galway-Headford road must be approx 25 Km in length? It is probably the most dangerous approach road coming into the city from any direction. It's completely unfit for current volumes of traffic. It's badly in need of a major redesign/reallignment work, and not just a case of filling a few potholes here & there.

There is zero chance of 25km of the N84 being upgraded. There is no funds for major upgrades like this. For a short alignment where the floods have caused major damage then yes maybe and a couple of potholes filled for good measure.

In the future the best way to get to Castlebar/Westport will be the M17/N17 to Claremorris and then on to Westport/Newport/Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Was stuck on that part of the road for over 30mins last night due to roadwork traffic lights. Roadworks will be on for 3 weeks according to the information signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Lots of fencing done

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seanbrady49

Yeah, all going well we'll have a road with no bends in 4 yrs time lol
    I say 4 years cause the lads building the road will defo take their time, also looks like the road will have a hard shoulder on both sides, that or they're building a dual carriageway (that's a joke btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

they're doing roadworks on the N59 between Moycullen and Galway... which will last until November.
    only problem is they start working at around 8am and earlier... which is causing huge delays in the morning. Wish they'd start at 9am instead but then that would cost more I suppose, in a direct way. Indirectly all the people getting to work late must effect the local economy somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

MBSnr wrote: »

Any sign of any work being done. Fencing complete. anything else seems to be at a standstill

• Advertisement

^^^
    All I know is what I posted in that thread.

Orange info signs in place. Works start 10/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

I was on the N84 yesterday. The groundworks for the bad section outside headford are well underway. Anyone got any details as to how long they will take. They seem to be getting stuck in pretty well

sonnyblack wrote: »
    I was on the N84 yesterday. The groundworks for the bad section outside headford are well underway. Anyone got any details as to how long they will take. They seem to be getting stuck in pretty well

The tender mentioned it was 18 months.

They only really started properly in Aug, but the tender duration was from Apr. I'd say they'd be quicker than the date of Oct '16 anyhow.

Other thread here

Advertisement