Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel consumption comporimising

Options
  • 19-01-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Have an Audi A4 2009 - TDI i.e. 2.0 Diesel. For the first year the fuel consumption was great i.e. averaging 5 - 6.5 liters / 100 KM.

Now it has done 25K almost and serviced by Audi, but before and after the service the average is 6.8 - 9.2 liters / 100 KM on a normal 50km daily run.

[as expected no proper explanation from Audi]
    - Checked Tyre pressure
    - Oil levels

Could routine small trips cause this ? weather .

Thanks for any tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'd almost expect it to be showing slightly better fuel consumption since the engine will be nicely broken in by now.

Have you been idling the car in the mornings to warm it up?
    Have you changed where you get your diesel recently?

Short trips would certainly result in increased fuel consumption.

Does the reading tie in with what your actually putting in diesel wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 F.J

@Pkiernan: True, that's what I'd expect as well, I mean engine is well run and should do good now. not the other way round.

- I do very little idling in the morning. But actually the reading starts as soon as the car starts to roll int he morning.

- Not really very much the same fuel station very consistently

@RoverJames: Yes, I still rely on the traditional methods more than the computers
    - it use to do 650KM / 50 Litres easy
    - Now I'm lucky if I get 500 (+/-20) kms from it.

Something seems messed up.

Have'nt tried it as was afraid it might mess up something, do you thing the diesel treatment bottle worth a try ?

Must admit I'm fairly disappointed in the car. My 318 (04) had a very consistent performance throughout the 4 years.

Thanks again guys

I can understand why you are dissapointed, as other mentioned by other folk there is no reason at all why it should start comsuming more diesel. You seem quite on the ball so unfortunately it must be using more. Have you tried any Audi forums? Besides the obvious stuff like the handbrake binding slightly or different usuage there may be some marque specific info out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just for pig iron
    Have you checked your air filter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

hmm since you bought it brand new and where taking care of it like a baby, as in breaking it in(gentle acceleration), have you changed your driving style now that its broken in? maybe that explains where the diesel is going?

Advertisement