Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how difficult is this? moving a TV socket

• 19-01-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi,

How difficult would this task be,

I have two bedrooms separated by a stud wall, one of the rooms has a TV cable socket one does not, I basically want to switch them.
    Is this a difficult job?

Location wise it would be the same just the other side of the wall, do I just need to buy a blanking plate and cut a hole in the wall in the room that needs the new point.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

jum4 wrote: »
    Hi,

How difficult would this task be,

I have two bedrooms separated by a stud wall, one of the rooms has a TV cable socket one does not, I basically want to switch them.
    Is this a difficult job?

Location wise it would be the same just the other side of the wall, do I just need to buy a blanking plate and cut a hole in the wall in the room that needs the new point.

thanks.

Yea that's pretty much it. If the sockets are going back-to-back either side of the stud wall there should be no issue with not enough cable etc.

Buy a blanking plate and a plaster board backing box for the new location.

If its a plaster board wall you can just cut it with a standley knife or a hacksaw blade etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just did this myself with regards a telephone/adsl point and a double power socket.

Very simple job to do.

Before you cut any hole in the plasterboard,just go and unscrew the existing TV socket plate and pop out the plastic butterfly back box,and make sure there ar no other cables running along behind the backbox.

You dont want to go cutting out your new hole and then see that you have also cut through other cables too.;)

Then with a small flat head screw driver,pierce a small pilot hole through the wall from the existing phone socket hole in the wall.

That means that you know you are exactly in the right part of the wall in the next room,when it comes to cutting your new TV point out.;)

You can then either use a specific plasterboard "pad saw",or just use a normal hacksaw blade and cut the plasterboard out with it

With regards the old existing TV point hole,you can either just cover it up with a blanking plate,or if you want a flawless/clean look,like as if nothing was ever there,then a small piece of 2 x 1 wood, on the inside and then cut a piece of plasterboard to the size of the hole and screw it into the 2 x 1 wood with some plasterboard screws.

Then a quick skim of pollyfilla or any fast setting filler,sand it down and then repaint.

Job done and simples.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As the above posters have said, its a relatively simple thing to do. You shouldn't have too much trouble. When you are in the wholesalers ask them for a dry lining box, that's what you want for the socket to sit into.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

thanks guys!

gonna tackle this at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

jum4 wrote: »
    thanks guys!

gonna tackle this at the weekend.

I wouldn't say it would take the entire weekend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

another option would be to just split the cable into two feeds and have two points, one in each room. all you need is a 2 way f-type splitter and 3 f plugs.......really easy to do and ye have the option of a tv in each room.

Advertisement