Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Carling Nations Cup

• 19-01-2011 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

(I realise there is a thread about this Tournament, but I wanted to put it in a separate thread because it is a different aspect - if mods feel that it should be merged with the other one, then please do so).

What does everyone think of England potentially taking part? I think that if England take part it gives the impression that we, the ROI, are 'back' in the Union.

I know this may seem stupid or nonsensical to a lot of people, but this type of thing really annoys me.
    For one thing, it really isn't going to help with our image around the world - and by that I mean some people will think we are part of the Union; for example, I know of a lot of people from abroad who think we are still part of the UK.

The Nations Cup? They may aswell rename it to its old name the Home Nations Cup. Why not invite some other nations to take part? Why does it just have to be the UK and Ireland? Of course, the fact that we all have a special relationship plays a part in the country selection, but it's not a good idea in my view.

"some people will think we are part of the Union" - I know a lot will read that and think "so fúcking what?", but it's the principle of it.

I'm just looking for your views on this, and of course I'm open to correction if anything I've mentioned above is incorrect :pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just do what we did with the "British Lions" - stick the word "Irish" into the title.

Not too enthused anyway with the idea of the gang of bigots coming down from the North to the Aviva Stadium for the Celtic Cup. Also Scotland, whilst not quite as bad, has it's fair share aswell. Im not really up for it as an Irish supporter - it will only cause trouble.

I don't think we should be involving ourselves in these tournaments at all tbh. It's micky mouse stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

It depends.

Englands were initially invited, thought it was beneath them and the FAI carried on regardless.

Things have changed, and they are now talking about a revamp of the Home nations.

I wouldn't want to be part of that without some serious rebranding, but would welcome England into the FAI led tourney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

darkman2 wrote: »
    Just do what we did with the "British Lions" - stick the word "Irish" into the title.

Not too enthused anyway with the idea of the gang of bigots coming down from the North to the Aviva Stadium for the Celtic Cup. Also Scotland, whilst not quite as bad, has it's fair share aswell. Im not really up for it as an Irish supporter - it will only cause trouble.

I don't think we should be involving ourselves in these tournaments at all tbh. It's micky mouse stuff.

So how do you propose the FAI pay off their half of LR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's down to branding. The rugby team have no problem playing in the 6 Nations, so the soccer team shouldnt mind playing in the 5 Nations. Obviously, the "Home Nations" would be a non-starter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

What about "The Republic vs The Empire" - has a kind of star wars vibe going on;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

It's down to branding. The rugby team have no problem playing in the 6 Nations, so the soccer team shouldnt mind playing in the 5 Nations. Obviously, the "Home Nations" would be a non-starter.

I agree with that. But to be honest with you, if they did rename it the "Home Nations" I couldn't see the FAI putting up much of a fight against it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Our public finances are being overseen by the IMF and we are already in a Union that doesn't listen to us. Making a stand over whether we enter a tournament called the 'Home Nations' seems to me a complete waste of time. It's not like there's a lot of sovereignty left to protect at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

steo87 wrote: »
    (I realise there is a thread about this Tournament, but I wanted to put it in a separate thread because it is a different aspect - if mods feel that it should be merged with the other one, then please do so).

What does everyone think of England potentially taking part? I think that if England take part it gives the impression that we, the ROI, are 'back' in the Union.

I know this may seem stupid or nonsensical to a lot of people, but this type of thing really annoys me.
    For one thing, it really isn't going to help with our image around the world - and by that I mean some people will think we are part of the Union; for example, I know of a lot of people from abroad who think we are still part of the UK.

The Nations Cup? They may aswell rename it to its old name the Home Nations Cup. Why not invite some other nations to take part? Why does it just have to be the UK and Ireland? Of course, the fact that we all have a special relationship plays a part in the country selection, but it's not a good idea in my view.

"some people will think we are part of the Union" - I know a lot will read that and think "so fúcking what?", but it's the principle of it.

I'm just looking for your views on this, and of course I'm open to correction if anything I've mentioned above is incorrect :pac:

British soap operas/talent shows/ documentrys/ telly in general dominates our screens.

thousends of irish men,women and children travel across each week to watch their favourite british team.

british clothing lines,shops and retailers are very common in ireland and even dominate the irish market.

as someone stated our finances are now in the hands of the european union......

so what image have we been giving thats differant to the one you are worried about??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dont care what its called once we win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Er, it doesn't suggest to me at all that the ROI "are 'back' in the Union."

How can it?

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    British soap operas/talent shows/ documentrys/ telly in general dominates our screens.

thousends of irish men,women and children travel across each week to watch their favourite british team.

british clothing lines,shops and retailers are very common in ireland and even dominate the irish market.

as someone stated our finances are now in the hands of the european union......

so what image have we been giving thats differant to the one you are worried about??.

I see what you are saying, and I myself study at a British university, but I'm talking about a tournament that will directly (or indirectly, depending on your viewpoint) involve us in a tournament for countries that are part of the 'home nations'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

The first tournament is going ahead this year without England isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

darkman2 wrote: »

The republic is better than micky mouse?

Anyway, i'll probably pop down to this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can't seriously be wound up about this, can you?

That's just silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

England are never going to take part in it. They have categorically stated that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The 'Home Nations' may not even exist in a few years if Fifa have their way.

Fifa want to get rid of them in favour of a British team, something NI, Wales and Scotland oppose

And Garreth Bale is not doing them any favours by wanting to play on the GB team (which was intended to be all English) in the Olympics

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6671983,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I would not send an all English team. Would just end up bottling it.

You can't seriously be wound up about this, can you?

That's just silly!

Not wound up per sé, but there's no need for this tournament etc rabble rabble

Advertisement