Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DROPPING IRISH.

• 19-01-2011 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I moved here when I was 6 months old. I did irish for my junior cert, but now for the leaving cert I want to drop it. I dont want to do Pass because any time spent for studying irish could easily be used in my 7 other subjects (all honours) so I was just wondering do i have an exemption from irish because i technically wasn't born here.
    Its a complete waste of time. Jibberish.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Nope, it only counts if you moved here after you were 11 as far as I'm aware. You're stuck with it like the rest of us I'm afraid :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

No you would not be able to get an exemption you would have had to come to ireland after third class as far as I know.
    Sorry
    But honestly pass irish is grand. Only 5 poems and 5 stories which only have to be about a half page long. Also just a few essays to learn off that's it. Plus if you don't want to do much work in it you would still be able to get a c by just learning a few things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, you can't drop it unless you were educated outside of Ireland up to the age of 11.

Most of your classmates consider it gibberish too.

Pass Irish for the LC is easier than honours Irish in the JC. I was failing honours Irish in 6th year and I dropped to pass and got an A2 with very little work. I was very chuffed at the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

No you would not be able to get an exemption you would have had to come to ireland after third class as far as I know.
    Sorry
    But honestly pass irish is grand. Only 5 poems and 5 stories which only have to be about a half page long. Also just a few essays to learn off that's it. Plus if you don't want to do much work in it you would still be able to get a c by just learning a few things.

excuse me for going out topic, but is it that easy to get a c in irish honours?? :P i'm brazilian so i've hardly any idea about irish leavin certs i'll have to do in a few years xDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

excuse me for going out topic, but is it that easy to get a c in irish honours?? :P i'm brazilian so i've hardly any idea about irish leavin certs i'll have to do in a few years xDD

Thats the requirements for the pass course, there is a MAJOR difference between the pass and honours level. The honours course has to do the 5 poems and stories of the pass level but also extra honours level poetry, a drama or another option and also a section on the history of Irish. If you think that getting a C in honours Irish is easy you must remember it requires a lot of time to cover every aspect of the course and there is also an oral and an aural involved so I wouldn't say getting a C grade is easy, it's very achieveable with hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

lol thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It depends on what you mean by exempt.

You are NOT exempt from the DES rule that says that you must be following a programme of study in Irish in order that the school can count you as a registered senior-cycle pupil for the purposes of funding. This does not oblige you to sit an exam in the subject.

You ARE exempt from the NUI matriculation requirement that you pass Irish, as detailed in section 5.3(i) of the NUI matriculation rules: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs2011_12English.pdf
    But note what's in the bullets in 5.4.

TCD doesn't have an Irish language requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

kmlarules wrote: »
    I moved here when I was 6 months old. I did irish for my junior cert, but now for the leaving cert I want to drop it. I dont want to do Pass because any time spent for studying irish could easily be used in my 7 other subjects (all honours) so I was just wondering do i have an exemption from irish because i technically wasn't born here.
    Thanks.

How dare you call our language jibberish.
    Should blame your parents for moving here and not making you exempt from it in first place.
    If you want out of Irish you can get your parents to apply for you to be made excempt and refuse to do it.
    Talking about our native language like that who the hell you think you are?:rolleyes:

Depends on the person,yes its possible B and A in honours Irish is possible aswell, just a matter of you studying and wanting to do it.
    Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

caseyann wrote: »
    Should blame your parents for moving here and not making you exempt from it in first place.
    If you want out of Irish you can get your parents to apply for you to be made excempt and refuse to do it.
    Talking about our native language like that who the hell you think you are?:rolleyes:
    Ah now, chill out, the OP moved to Ireland when he/she was 6 months old, they're probably pretty much as Irish as the rest of us, so drop the "them" and "us" stuff, eh?

You aren't eligible for an exemption, have you done pass Irish yet? It's quite easy, if you manage to do well enough in the comprehension, orals and aural (all of which are much easier than their HL JC equivalent) then there's very little pressure on your poetry and stories. Also, the questions on the poetry/stories that come up are very predictable. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

The general entry requirements for entry to Dublin City University require that you pass either English or Irish. http://www.dcu.ie/registry/entry.shtml#leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

kmlarules wrote: »
    Thanks.

You have done Irish all your schooling life! Why would you get an exemption? Just drop to pass if you don't want to do honours.

Although I was born here I basically lived in the UK from just after my birth until I was 10. I started learning Irish in the middle of 4th class. I can't get an exemption!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Depends on the person,yes its possible B and A in honours Irish is possible aswell, just a matter of you studying and wanting to do it.
    Good luck with it :)
    I got a C1 in honours. I can't speak a word and I didn't know what the play was about. I've heard they inflate the grades in the years where everyone's failing to make it look like people actually give a **** about it, and I'd be inclined to believe it.

****ing joke of a subject.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I got a C1 in honours. I can't speak a word and I didn't know what the play was about. I've heard they inflate the grades in the years where everyone's failing to make it look like people actually give a **** about it, and I'd be inclined to believe it.

****ing joke of a subject.

Yeah for you maybe its is, if you didn't bother and only made it as a subject to be passed instead of embracing it and being proud of it.
    They dont inflate grades and i passed French with an B and cant speak it so whats your point and all but forgotten it.Even though i was top of my class.
    And yes they give a **** about and more you whinge the people are going to adapt a nationalist view in order to protect it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Isn't there some talk of making Irish optional for the leaving?
    I heard that recently but it might only be gossip, but if it was there would be very few doing it :rolleyes: absolute f%cker of a subject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

13spanner wrote: »
    Isn't there some talk of making Irish optional for the leaving?
    I heard that recently but it might only be gossip, but if it was there would be very few doing it :rolleyes: absolute f%cker of a subject

That's Fine Gael talk that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Take it easy, for heaven's sake!!

Everyone is entitled to "dare" to have an opinion of their own.

Nor do those who rant and rave and get up on their high horse about Irish do the language any favours.

Give people reasons to love the language, don't whip them for disliking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

As jumpguy said less of this "our" and "them" business. One pronoun ought to be enough to include a guy who moved here at the age of six months.
    Borderline xenophobic.
    You make it sound as if people who have lived here their entire lives wouldn't relish an opportunity like that. I don't hate Irish. I just don't want a language that I don't have any use for to affect my third level opportunities.
    Who the hell do you think you are lashing out at people? If he simply forgot to include "I moved here when I was six months" I am quite sure your reply would have been quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

Guys i moved here from Wales in 2001, i did Irish right up to junior cert, but no longer do it for leaving cert, my school provide geography instead for those with an exemption.

I can't say i have an "official" exemption however all seems to be ok, i was born outside the country obviously and it seems to be ok for me at least...(but also others that I know, i.e friend from england moved around same time as me and is doing what I am doing)

I dropped it as it was simply a waste of my time, considering i'm going back to the UK for RAF (hopefully) or Uni....

Advertisement