Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

begineer climbing shoes

Options
  • 19-01-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hey whats the best brand/type for beginners... ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Hi Op,
    I used the Boreal Joker and it served me well.
    But the most important thing about shoes is that you get the right fit, as high performance is not a priority right now. But if you get the wrong fit it may ruin the experience.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Eek, there isn't one really.

I'd just go with what you are most comfortable in. That said, what's comfortable in the shop and what's comfortable after four hours on the rock may be two different things. It also depends on what level you'll be climbing and how quickly you'll progress. Also if you'll be just popping in to an indoor wall for an hour or two or spending long days outside.

Some types of shoe stretch too so look out for that.

Any of the big names are worth looking at, but depending on where you're based a trip to the Great Outdoors in Chatham St. Dublin would be a good idea to get fitted out. If you can ring ahead and try to get one of the boot guys to meet up with you. I'm not sure if any other shops around offer that service.

I bought mine online after trying a friends pair and truthfully I shouldn't have.

Someone more experienced in fitting shoes may chime in but I hope that helps.
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wipeout.wendy

thanks guys - i try around anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I'm no climbing shoe connoisseur, but in my opinion there is no such thing as beginner climbing shoes. There's just shoes that are somewhat more comfortable to wear and shoe's that are aggressively arced and ram your toes painfully into the toe box.

The latter tend to provide better toe support, allowing you to place and weight your foot with greater accuracy on very tiny holds, think of a ballerina. If the type of climbing you want to do requires this, then it may be a good shoe to buy. However, it is likely to be only routes at high grades (beyond beginner levels) that are going to require such delicate footwork.

The former are more comfortable to wear, and are a good choice of climbing shoe if you're planning to do very long outdoor routes in the mountains. Wearing the type of shoe mentioned above for 12 hours on a multi-day rock climb in the Alps could become exceedingly painful.

Furthermore, nearly all climbing shoes, whether they are designed for beginners or hot shot boulderers, will feel uncomfortable to wear and a size too small to the beginner. Even the so-called novice shoes will scrunch your toes in the toe box, but to a lesser extent. This can be an unpleasant experience for a beginner so it may be a good idea to buy such a shoe initially to accustom yourself to this feeling. The "beginner" shoe will have less toe support, but this will also help develop toe strength. These shoes tend to be cheaper too..

Climbing shoes are expensive. And if you climb regularly enough, they are NOT a long term investment. I go through about four pairs of shoes a year. My advice is to buy the cheapest and most comfortable shoe you can find, and as you improve, and you're in a better position to judge for yourself, you may choose to buy into flashy brands, aggressive toe support etc. If you climb three times a week, you are likely to need them repaired or replaced in three or four months anyway (the rubber at the tip of the shoes wears through).

Finally, don't worry too much about the brand and model of shoe, or whether it is for novices or experts. Every climbing shoe is massively better than climbing in a pair of runners and you will be able to climb any route in any climbing shoe if you're skilled enough. No shoe that I have ever worn has noticeably improved my climbing performance over another. But then again, I'm no connoisseur.

Here's some more useful reading material from Andy Kirkpatrick:

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/stick_it

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

If your in the Dublin area i recommend dropping into Great Outdoors, they were really helpful in helping me buy my first pair of climbing shoes, before i knew anything about climbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Sev wrote: »
    they are NOT a long term investment ... If you climb three times a week, you are likely to need them repaired or replaced in three or four months anyway (the rubber at the tip of the shoes wears through).QUOTE]

That said, the latest shoe I've bought is the Red Chili "Urban Climber VCR". The rubber doesn't seem to be as sticky as on other shoes I've tried, but it seems like it may be a lot more durable and will last a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Get a shoe with a firm sole, that's a snug fit but doesn't crush your feet. My $0.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Hi Wendy
    I tried climbing out but wasnt too taken with it so would recommend you dont over invest til you decide you really like it!

Just in case you are interested also I am selling on the gear I bought its all practically brand new :)
    http://www.adverts.ie/camping-outdoor-pursuits/climbing-gear-for-sale/413783

Advertisement