Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is is just me Eircom hang up on?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi
    twice today while discussing my bill with a representative i have been disconnected. There is no fault with my phone line and its happened in the past. Usually as i'm asking "why am i being charged for a different broadband plan to the one i'm actually on" or "has there been any progress on that fault i reported three months ago?" Is this just me or is this standard practise now. I suppose its the next logical step from the leave you on hold for an hour when you start asking any of the above questions. When i have rang to pay my bill or discuss upgrading my service however there has never been a problem...well until it came to actually implementing any changes in the service
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi
    twice today while discussing my bill with a representative i have been disconnected. There is no fault with my phone line and its happened in the past. Usually as i'm asking "why am i being charged for a different broadband plan to the one i'm actually on" or "has there been any progress on that fault i reported three months ago?" Is this just me or is this standard practise now. I suppose its the next logical step from the leave you on hold for an hour when you start asking any of the above questions. When i have rang to pay my bill or discuss upgrading my service however there has never been a problem...well until it came to actually implementing any changes in the service
    Thanks

Hi backthephilup
    I can confirm that this is not standard practice and my apologies that you should have experienced this. No agent should hang up on a customer and any found to be doing so would be disciplined.
    If you did managed to get the name of any agent could you PM this to me.
    If you currently have any issue PM the details of these also and I will investigate for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

No not just you!!!

Happened to me several times recently when calling about moving house - once after about 30 minutes on the phone and speaking to about ten different people!!! It's like they run out of different departments to transfer you to and just hang up instead...

In fairness though I was cut off while being supposedly 'transferred', it's not like someone hung up on me in the middle of a sentence. Still extremely frustrating though because then you have to start the whole process again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Exactly i hate the automated Larry Gogan you have to get past to speak to anyone. You're on hold/talking to the machine for ten minutes then just when you feel your getting somewhere...back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

its not only you. happened also with me many times. but its not inlyeircom who us doing so,it looks like a normal process in customer service here in Ireland to hung up in when not the right questions have been asked

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Yeah happens to me fairly regularly too, both from land lines and mobile. Called them twice this past week and both times after negotiating my way through the robot menu I would get cut off after waiting for several minutes and then have to call again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭eircom: Eleanor

To all of you that have experienced this, apologies,this is not common practice and certainly not how we here at eircom want to do business with our customers.Please PM the moderators if you have any names of individuals and I will follow up with the Customer Facing departments

If you would like to try some other modes of communication please tweet to eircom to the @eircom team on Twitter
    and/or
    contact eircom on www.eircom.net/eircomconnect and go to our forums

The team are on hand to help you with any queries you may have

Hope this helps

Eleanor

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

When I worked at BT our agents had to start by telling the customer their name as a matter of courtesy. Our logging system was able to tell if an agent hung up on a customer. I'm sure eircom have the same ability. But if you call any service generally it is good to get a name as a point of reference and note the time you called at too including wait time!

boomslang wrote: »
    When I worked at BT our agents had to start by telling the customer their name as a matter of courtesy. Our logging system was able to tell if an agent hung up on a customer. I'm sure eircom have the same ability. But if you call any service generally it is good to get a name as a point of reference and note the time you called at too including wait time!

Thank You for you post,your absoluetly right getting the details is very important and helps us to identify the people casuing the offence a lot quicker

Eleanor

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

The times it has happened to me are exactly like this:

Negotiate the voice menu.
    Wait in queue.
    Phone starts ringing.
    Sounds like phone handset is picked up and put down immediately.

Other times this has happened while being transferred to a different department.
    Talk with rep.
    Rep asks if it is ok to transfer.
    Say yes.
    Hold for a second or two.
    Phone starts ringing.
    Phone goes dead. or like before sounds like handset is picked up and put down.

DaSilva wrote: »
    The times it has happened to me are exactly like this:

Negotiate the voice menu.
    Wait in queue.
    Phone starts ringing.
    Sounds like phone handset is picked up and put down immediately.

Other times this has happened while being transferred to a different department.
    Talk with rep.
    Rep asks if it is ok to transfer.
    Say yes.
    Hold for a second or two.
    Phone starts ringing.
    Phone goes dead. or like before sounds like handset is picked up and put down.

Hi DaSilva
    Will advise our internal phone system support team of your point. It is possible that the system, and as you point out, the transfer facility, may not function as it should.
    You say that you had tried to call support twice? Is there anything I can do for you?
    If so just PM me the details and I will chase this for you.
    Thanks again for posting.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 parazard

No it's not just you. Was moving home and had to cancel eircom toward the end of last year. I called 4 times in one week and my partner did just as many times. I was on hold for almost 1 hour 3/4 times and the call ended up by the agent hanging up. The 4th time I was on hold for 80 minutes when I gave up. Same happened to my partner. This by the way in the middle of packing and moving ... not exactly plenty of time to spare.
    As soon as they heard the word 'cancel' or 'account closure' the line would go. We gave up and had to move without confirmation that the account had been closed. We did all we could also sending a registered letter. In spite of this they are still sending bills to the old address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

parazard wrote: »
    No it's not just you. Was moving home and had to cancel eircom toward the end of last year. I called 4 times in one week and my partner did just as many times. I was on hold for almost 1 hour 3/4 times and the call ended up by the agent hanging up. The 4th time I was on hold for 80 minutes when I gave up. Same happened to my partner. This by the way in the middle of packing and moving ... not exactly plenty of time to spare.
    As soon as they heard the word 'cancel' or 'account closure' the line would go. We gave up and had to move without confirmation that the account had been closed. We did all we could also sending a registered letter. In spite of this they are still sending bills to the old address.

Hi parazard,

If you send me a private message with your old account number or telephone number and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

When you ring Eircom I was told to ask for there Employee Number, not there name. I often gotted a name and ring back after getting cut off for whatever reason and a person by that name magically doesn't work there is always on anther call.

When you ring Eircom I was told to ask for there Employee Number, not there name. I often gotted a name and ring back after getting cut off for whatever reason and a person by that name magically doesn't work there is always on anther call.

Hi chrislynch8,

eircom do not give out our employee numbers - agent should always give name.

I appreciate it is not always possibile to speak to the same person, however if you have an issue I can help yo with feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭chrislynch8

Hi chrislynch8,

eircom do not give out our employee numbers - agent should always give name.

I appreciate it is not always possibile to speak to the same person, however if you have an issue I can help yo with feel free to PM me.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

No issue - was just repeating something I was told before ;)

Rgds
    Chris

Hi Mark,

No issue - was just repeating something I was told before ;)

Rgds
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Fair enough, I will get back to you regarding your broadband query soon.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi backthephilup
    I can confirm that this is not standard practice and my apologies that you should have experienced this. No agent should hang up on a customer and any found to be doing so would be disciplined.
    If you did managed to get the name of any agent could you PM this to me.
    If you currently have any issue PM the details of these also and I will investigate for you.
    Tony

Have you got stats for dropped calls?

It used to happen to me virtually everytime I tried to call your company. You call up about the appalling service you are receiving and you get cut off. One of the reasons I have vowed never, ever to do business with Eircom again. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Have you got stats for dropped calls?

It used to happen to me virtually everytime I tried to call your company. You call up about the appalling service you are receiving and you get cut off. One of the reasons I have vowed never, ever to do business with Eircom again. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hi Gloomtastic,

I am very sorry for the experience you had with eircom and some of our agents.

I can assure you If there a number of unexplained calls being dropped eircom will investigate it immediately.

Also eircom have a structure for agents to maximise the interaction with customers to try insure a positive experience for the customer which includes calls dropped and if the numbers are excessive that will also be looked into immediately.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

I often got stuck on the eircom circus agent merry-go-round ...where no to departments know what the other is at dropped calls on hold....or refused to have a broadband complaint heard:eek: ..now i know why you had m-people "search for the hero" playing while on hold:rolleyes:

prioryc wrote: »
    I often got stuck on the eircom circus agent merry-go-round ...where no to departments know what the other is at dropped calls on hold....or refused to have a broadband complaint heard:eek: ..now i know why you had m-people "search for the hero" playing while on hold:rolleyes:

My apologies for this experience you have had with eircom, can you PM me if you are experiencing problems currently.If you wish, you do not have to ring to request services you can access eircom via our twitter account www.twitter/eircom ,you can also log on to www.eircom.net/connect and go to our forum

Hope this is of help
    Eleanor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

My apologies for this experience you have had with eircom, can you PM me if you are experiencing problems currently.If you wish, you do not have to ring to request services you can access eircom via our twitter account www.twitter/eircom ,you can also log on to www.eircom.net/connect and go to our forum

Hope this is of help
    Eleanor

Thanks Elenor,
    But I have already sent my PM to Comreg ..I just wanted to add my name to the growing list of people who have suffered at the hands of your below par service.

If you want to sample it yourself try ringing 1901 and asking for the internet service you pay (the most in europe) for compared to what you actually get and see the response you receive.

prioryc wrote: »
    Thanks Elenor,
    But I have already sent my PM to Comreg ..I just wanted to add my name to the growing list of people who have suffered at the hands of your below par service.

If you want to sample it yourself try ringing 1901 and asking for the internet service you pay (the most in europe) for compared to what you actually get and see the response you receive.

Hi prioryc
    thanks for getting back and I will pass this on to Eleanor. If there is any further issue or query just let us know.
    Goodluck
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 car03

definitely the norm to get hung up on - same sound as others. Sounds like phone is being picked up and being put down straight away. Guessing it's a disgruntled staff member trying to avoid calls that they just don't have a clue about! Happened to me a few times with them.

Really think they need to train their staff as I was asked by one broadband staff member what I thought the problem was!! Also, they seem to have to go and check things every 2 minutes. This generally means they haven't a clue what they are being asked. A girl called "Dawn" (thick Dub accent) put me on hold for 10 whole minutes - I refused to hang up and when she did finally take me off hold she had no solution! Customer service is shocking!!! Better to get skilled trained graduates and pay them a decent wage than have huge unskilled untrained staff turnover.

As for "supervisor" "Patrick" - I am still, 3 weeks later, waiting for his call. Needless to say, my call to broadband support at 7.45 in the evening meant he did everything he could to wittle away the 15 minutes before he could run out the door. Great attitude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

No its not just you!:mad::mad:

Gosh even online! I did send the details, dear Mark said he'd get back early this week and I still haven't heard anything. Are they hanging up on me even online?

Hi parazard,

If you send me a private message with your old account number or telephone number and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

I would be more sceptical than assuming it's due to lack of skills. I reckon it's memos telling them not to engage re: closure of accounts etc. I remember one engineer acknowledging how bad it was and the fact that they are aware of it. Eircom are underestimating the impact this has on customer retention and their reputation...too bad for them. I'll never be back.

car03 wrote: »
    definitely the norm to get hung up on - same sound as others. Sounds like phone is being picked up and being put down straight away. Guessing it's a disgruntled staff member trying to avoid calls that they just don't have a clue about! Happened to me a few times with them.

Really think they need to train their staff as I was asked by one broadband staff member what I thought the problem was!! Also, they seem to have to go and check things every 2 minutes. This generally means they haven't a clue what they are being asked. A girl called "Dawn" (thick Dub accent) put me on hold for 10 whole minutes - I refused to hang up and when she did finally take me off hold she had no solution! Customer service is shocking!!! Better to get skilled trained graduates and pay them a decent wage than have huge unskilled untrained staff turnover.

As for "supervisor" "Patrick" - I am still, 3 weeks later, waiting for his call. Needless to say, my call to broadband support at 7.45 in the evening meant he did everything he could to wittle away the 15 minutes before he could run out the door. Great attitude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

car03 wrote: »
    Also, they seem to have to go and check things every 2 minutes.

+1 on that. Had broadband queries there a few months back and was talking to some Indian guy on a Sat morning. He was fine at first but you could hear his mood rapidly deteriorating with the more questions I asked him. It was as if he expected me to be an expert on the subject and was peeved that I'd ask such silly questions.

This led to numerous "I'll have to go check that..." where I can only assume he engaged in a bout of sighing on the other end before eventually just cutting me off

I would be more sceptical than assuming it's due to lack of skills. I reckon it's memos telling them not to engage re: closure of accounts etc. I remember one engineer acknowledging how bad it was and the fact that they are aware of it. Eircom are underestimating the impact this has on customer retention and their reputation...too bad for them. I'll never be back.

Hi parazard,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. The reference number referes to your dealings with broadband technical support. I sent on the issue to managers in broadband technical support and they have told me the majority of calls are recorded and they are trying to find the call associated with your reference number.

Apologies, I have sent a follow up and they advised they will get back to me sson. I can assure you I was not activly avoiding your query. I just wanted some information before I got back to you.

I apologise again and I will get back on to you as soon as I have a response.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 car03

one guy told me to go and close my account. It was my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

Unfortunately what has happened is the staff you are encountering are agency staff where there is a high turnover and the dedication is not there. They don't have a stake (a shareholding) in the company so the desire to turn things around in the company is not there and as has been correctly pointed out this is the future of the company as they are paid less than permanent staff and don't have the experience so when a query comes in they don't know what to do with the call. So they hang up.

Advertisement