Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you play?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of games at home that have never been opened and played. I want something action/story driven as i'm a bit fed up with the pick up and play formula of recent shooters.

The list is as follows.

Oblivion (ps3)
    Fallout 3 DLC packs i got with PS+
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R (pc)
    Mass effect 1 (360)
    Super Mario Galaxy (wii)
    Scarface(wii)
    Redsteel (wii)
    MGS peacewalker (psp)
    Condemned 2 (ps3)
    Gears of war 2 (360)

What do you guy's think i should get my teeth into tonight?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I would play either fallout 3 or else stalker or else I would advise to play everything else first and finish up with those 2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

MASS EFFECT

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Fallout 3 or Mass effect
    Also you could play mario whilst playing one of the above,its a fun little game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mario if you want to have a smile on your face for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

All them but Scarface is suprisingly good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sort of drifted out of playing RPGs a few years ago (for no particular reason I can remember), but recently I got the exact same sort of FPS fatigue syndrome as you describe.

So few months ago so I went out and bought Fallout 3 GOTY and ended up sinking about 100 hours into it. I loved it so much that since then I have purchased Fallout New Vegas, ME 1+2, Oblivion, Dragons Age: Ultimate and the Witcher (mostly in the steam sales)

I am currently having such a blast playing through the Mass Effect series that words cannot describe how big of an idiot I feel for neglecting this genre for so long :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mass Effect, and take a few days off work and tell the missus you'll see her in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

I think if you played gears of war 1 then you have to play gears 2 next good story great action

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I would play either fallout 3 or else stalker or else I would advise to play everything else first and finish up with those 2 :pac:

This.

And maybe Oblivion instead of Fallout if you're mroe into swords and sorcery than post-apocalyptic 1950's America.

Although if you enjoy the work of Lester Speight (aka Terry Tate:Office Linebacker) then Gears 2 is an entertainingly mindless way to spend a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I want something action/story driven as i'm a bit fed up with the pick up and play formula of recent shooters.

>Play Mass Effect
    >Pick FemShep
    >Come back next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I decided on Mass effect and got as far as the Citidel last night. I gotta say it's kinda daunting as it's so big. I think one of the things that puts me off RPG's is that i'm always wondering if i'm doing it right, and if i'm getting the most out of the game.
    I'll definatly stick it out though. It's a little bit dated by now and i find that all the characters kind of look like burns victims. Especially the black characters.
    Just one question though. Now that ME2 is out on PS3 and is considered to be the best of the versions in regards to content,will i miss out on much if i don't continue playing the series on the 360?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just one question though. Now that ME2 is out on PS3 and is considered to be the best of the versions in regards to content,will i miss out on much if i don't continue playing the series on the 360?

It depends in how much detail you're able to determine how the PS3 game starts: I'm not sure, but I think you're allowed choose which of the 'core' decision you made in the first game, and the story continues based on that.

But many of the joys of ME2 stem from the way in which you continue the game, how small characters will have lines of incidental dialogue based on how you played the first game, alongside the 'big decisions' you made first time around. Few sequels have had the same sense of continuity as ME2, and since it uses your save file, sticking with 360 isn't a bad idea. Depending on price, you'd probably be able to get the good DLC and the 360 game for the same price as the PS3 release anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I decided on Mass effect and got as far as the Citidel last night. I gotta say it's kinda daunting as it's so big. I think one of the things that puts me off RPG's is that i'm always wondering if i'm doing it right, and if i'm getting the most out of the game.
    I'll definatly stick it out though. It's a little bit dated by now and i find that all the characters kind of look like burns victims. Especially the black characters.

If it is a good RPG then there shouldn't be a 'right' way :p. While it may appear daunting, the actual main story of ME isn't all that long and well 'signposted' so to speak.

You won't really miss out on anything if you switch to the PS3 version simply use the interactive comic to make the same choices that you made on your first 360 playthrough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Good choice!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Stalker !!!! You'll need to Patch it up though :D
    Simply brilliant game.

Advertisement