Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used equipment

• 19-01-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Ooo, I'm kind of excited. Will be looking at some 2nd hand equipment to possibly purchase. This'll be my first year diving with my own equipment, yay! Anyway had to tell somebody, nobody in work really cares.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Good for you!

Remember it's a life support system you are building, bit by bit.
    Get unbiased advice on the gear, eg don't try to skimp on the reg. Get one that's environmentally sealed, good to perform in our cold water.

Get a BC that's good - supports you upright in the water at the surface should you be unconscious.

Metal buckle on the weightbelt.

The rest won't kill you.

Best o' luck

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

PM sent - check your notifications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

seadeuce wrote: »
    Good for you!

Remember it's a life support system you are building, bit by bit.
    Get unbiased advice on the gear, eg don't try to skimp on the reg. Get one that's environmentally sealed, good to perform in our cold water.

Get a BC that's good - supports you upright in the water at the surface should you be unconscious.

Metal buckle on the weightbelt.

The rest won't kill you.

Best o' luck

Seadeuce

Ok I might have to find a reg some where else anyway, they can't find theirs. Pooey, didn't get to see it last night. Still don't know the price, why is every so afraid to let you know the estimated price on things, argh.

I would love if the BCD is integrated, I hate weight belts, refuse to wear them even when snorkeling. Was seriously thinking of getting a lead shot belt though to keep my options open for the BCD. Although might get some ankle ones for snorkies.

I just want to hurry up and practice with my equipment to work on my bouyance in the pool before diving in Mar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

how to if you hate weight belts but the bcd is not integrated try a rubber weight belt. Cant understand why more people dont use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

check out adverts there are a few people selling second hand gear if your still looking for some

• Advertisement

xzodia wrote: »
    check out adverts there are a few people selling second hand gear if your still looking for some
    Will do. Hopefully my club knows enough people, but will definitely check out adverts for any bits and pieces I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Keep an eye on www.divegear.ie , lots of used gear changing hands over there. It's free too. :cool:

Make sure whatever gear you get is either in service or you get it serviced and factor that into the price. ;)

foto joe wrote: »
    Keep an eye on www.divegear.ie , lots of used gear changing hands over there. It's free too. :cool:

Make sure whatever gear you get is either in service or you get it serviced and factor that into the price. ;)

Ah yes forgot about that site. Good to know some pricing though. Think I need some new(ish) fins too, the ones I use are a bit to rigid for my weak ankle.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ok so my diving buddy and I got 2 sets of gear. More than we need but who knows, no light though so still need to buy one. Scubapro, cost less than I thought from a former club diver. The reg is pretty new, I just have to change the mouth piece, my "buddy's" mouth piece felt so much better, might switch if I'm lucky.

BCD fit ok, a little too roomy but have to try it on with wetsuit. It did feel comfortable though. It didn't float all over the place in the pool which is nice, we'll have to see what it is like with some ocean currents. Has a nice efficient dump at the shoulder too. Also got yet another set of fins, these ones seem right in the goldilocks area (not too hard and not too soft), again have to try them out in the sea.

Going to try the weight belt for snorkels in Sandycove, I tried a shot belt and even that aggravated me. I sometimes forget that I have slight scoliosis in my lower back, that could be the culprit. It hasn't bothered me since I started lifting weights though, my core is pretty strong. But it could just be that the belt gets to it. I have a physical therapist I can ask though, its mainly when I'm upright in the water too. Once I can afford a new jacket think I'll definitely get an integrated one, but I know that they have some bad points as well if not everyone would just get them.

Now all I need is another room built in my place to accommodate all this gear:rolleyes:. So the next question is I know I have to get the tank and the reg tested, isn't that correct?

Advertisement