Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving = Cheating - Punishment?

• 19-01-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

This is just something that came to me today but when Eduardo was suspended for diving against Celtic in Champions League, he was banned for 2 games. Now I can't remember if the suspension was upheld and the ban stood or not. I was tried looking into it but haven't found much on it but what I did come across was that Mikoliunas was suspended for diving in an international game against Scotland while playing for Lithuania during the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

Now Theo Walcott openly admitted diving against Leeds and there was nothing about a match ban/punishment.

Not having a shot at Arsenal or anything but wondering why he hasn't received some sort of punishment.

Is it because the ref was aware and booked Theo for it? I didn't see teh match or the incident but when it happened, heard about it.

Do you feel Theo should have been punished or that the FA should make more of an effort to stamp diving out as it is in general a big enough issue in the sport?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

i think eduardo's ban was lifted.
    Didn't see the game either but if Walcott was booked that should be enough punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Yes Eduardo's ban was lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

If a player was nicked and was booked, fair enough but he wasn't.

Now I don't want this to seem like I am targeting Theo or Arsenal but I just find that this was just swept aside pretty quickly.

What I can see happening is that it will happen again (as diving can be common enough with all clubs) with a different player and there will be uproar about it and the player will prob receive a lot of bad press and get some sort of punishment.

It just seems that punishments are handed out too randomly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think much more effort should be made to stamp out diving.

The simple solution is retrospective punishment. Either team should have the option of filing a complaint for diving after a match if such an incident should occur. A panel reviews the incident, and if they deem it a dive, the guilty player gets a three match ban.

A system like that would work IMO and would stamp diving out of the game as it would be very much discouraged by every manager for fear of seeing their players receive three match suspensions.

The reason diving is such a common occurance in football is coz about 90 percent (guesstimation) of dives go unpunished, some get rewarded, and the ones that do get punished usually involve a yellow card and nothing else. Diving would soon become a thing of the past if a system similar to the one I portrayed above was utilised.

Obviously tweaks could be made, perhaps independant parties should be in charge of filing the complaints as teams may not be relied on to do it responsibly.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yellow isn't enough for diving imo. If you get away with it you potentially get a penalty/free kick/red card for opposition. If you don't you get a yellow. It's worth the risk tbh.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If a player was nicked and was booked, fair enough but he wasn't.

Now I don't want this to seem like I am targeting Theo or Arsenal but I just find that this was just swept aside pretty quickly.

What I can see happening is that it will happen again (as diving can be common enough with all clubs) with a different player and there will be uproar about it and the player will prob receive a lot of bad press and get some sort of punishment.

He didn't get a peno for the one he said he dived for. I'm not sure if it was even completely without contact cause it looked like a penalty at first. Theo just has some weird thing about trying to appear as honest as possible whenever he's interviewed. He was a bit stupid to bring it up to be honest.

actually here it is, so yeah it was pretty much the same sorta deal as Berbatov's the other week. He was just stupid enough to admit it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9iR6M15G82A#t=213s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Retrospective red (with video consultation) for normal diving, as in penalty box and the rescinding of any card that the tackling player may have received.

More snide stuff like acting to get players sent off (especially in WC and so on) same as above with stiff additional ban tacked on and a rescinding of any ban or card incurred by the player who was the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Some good points made above actually. I just don't see anything being done about it.

Theo didn't get any sort of punishment. It's kinda like walking into a police station, saying that he done a robbery but put the stuff back so no harm done and then just walking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Diving = Cheating - Punishment?

=> Cheating = Diving + Punishment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Which is exactly why it would have been ridiculous to ban Walcott when similar incidents have gone unpunished.

I still think Walcott meant 'I went down when I didn't have to' because there was definite contact but that's been lost in the whole thing. That's something else that needs to be sorted out - where does 'exaggeration' fit into things?

I'd love for diving to be clamped down on but it has to be the same rules for everyone.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    => Cheating = Diving + Punishment?
    Punishment = Cheating - Diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Serie A is coming down on this with retrospective bans for diving. Klasic got a ban for diving when winning a penalty for Juve.

Diving should carry a suspension. The EPL is rife with it.

Player from team A dives, Team B awarded a penalty.

Wouldn't be long cutting it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Serie A and a couple of other leagues give retrospective suspensions. In terms of the epl who dont have it then im in the school of if you are not cheating you are not trying hard enough.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Player from team A dives, Team B awarded a penalty.

Wouldn't be long cutting it out :D
    Then you'd have players pushing each other over then claiming they dived :pac:

Then you'd have players pushing each other over then claiming they dived :pac:

LOL :D

Advertisement