Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constitutional Amendment on Children's Rights

Options
  • 19-01-2011 6:50pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought this topic would have been mentioned here by now!

I'm fairly sure we had a decent discussion about this in 2009, so I'll try to find it and link it here.

Last Friday night the Minister of State for Children, Barry Andrews, stated that a constitutional referendum could be held this year. There appears to be some controversy surrounding the wording of the Bill.

Saturday's Irish Times article.

Irish Examiner article.
    BARNARDOS HAS criticised the Government’s proposed amendment to the Constitution to bolster children’s rights, saying it is a “dilution” of the wording agreed by an Oireachtas committee.

The children’s charity also opposes Minister of State for Children Barry Andrews’s plan to hold the children’s rights referendum on the day of the general election.

From Barndardo's reaction in Tuesday's Irish Times.

The wording itself has not yet been published.

What say ye, young people of Boards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Holding it the same day as the general election seems to trivialise it somewhat. All the focus is going to be on the election and people may not bother reading up on this new proposal because they'll be bogged down in candidate's manifestoes and whatnot.

That sounds about right. I didn't even realise it was on and I usually keep track of current affairs. Can't see people taking an interest in it when it's on the same day as the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

tbh if it wasn't on the same day as the general election I doubt much people would bother showing up to vote.

Not sure whether this is cynicism or realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

TBH I have no confidence in any amendments to our constitution as its a hopelessly outdated and inconsistent one. We need a completely new constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not yet, as far as I know. I think it's only been circulated to a limited number of parties so far. Barnardos' reaction to it has been less than enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

So what, people are going to have to vote on something that they will know very little about in the lead up to the voting??? as well as vote in the general election??
    Why hasnt the proposed amended document been released yet???

Advertisement