Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual NCT for 10yr old cars..

• 19-01-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dtm

Just read this in the indo today.
    From June 1st all cars 10yrs old and older are to be subject to an annual NCT.

Jesus christ just take me underpants while your at it.............

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You're catching up. (and so is the Indo)

This was already written into the vehicle testing regulations that were passed at the end of 2009.

I'll let you keep your undercrackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

macplaxton wrote: »

This was already written into the vehicle testing regulations that were passed at the end of 2009.

:D:D:D

and its gonna be dearer yearly too !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'm on the fence on weather this is a good thing or not. While it is good to have a older car checked (especially for rust) more regularly, I don't want to have to pay €50 (or whatever it is) per year for the privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

dtm wrote: »
    Just read this in the indo today.
    From June 1st all cars 10yrs old and older are to be subject to an annual NCT.

Jesus christ just take me underpants while your at it.............
    All cars first registered after 1st Jan 1980 only.
    Cars before that date will not have to do NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Get everything tested while you still get the 2 years!

I've got one up next month and in may, just in time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

macplaxton wrote: »

I knew about this last June when I had to get the old mans 18 year old sh*t box through NCT. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mamakevf wrote: »

My bloody yoke (that i dearly love!) is over by one week!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My daily runner is '99 but her birthday is the end of Feb. NCT booked for the end of this month so this will be her last 2 year NCT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My NCT is due in November...

I know you can bring them in early but I suspect unless it's a first NCT three months is the most... (6 months for 1st NCT?)

I'm wondering if you have an NCT due before 1st Sept could you bring her in early - before 1st June - and get a two-year cert? Or would that be too obvious... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dtm

mamakevf wrote: »

correct i knew about that.
    i got stung by that too.
    My 81 kadett has to go through an annual one where a 1980 car has to do no NCT. Thats bol*&x in my opinion.
    Its only going to push people to ring cars.

Dont get me wrong i agree with the NCT its just backward the way they are implementing rules.
    New car = No NCT
    2004 Car = Every two Years
    1990 Car = Every year
    1980 Car = NONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

dtm wrote: »
    correct i knew about that.
    i got stung by that too.
    My 81 kadett has to go through an annual one where a 1980 car has to do no NCT. Thats bol*&x in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong i agree with the NCT its just backward the way they are implementing rules.
    New car = No NCT
    1990 Car = Every year
    1980 Car = NONE

Every two years for ever would seem easier to implement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

[/QUOTE] My 81 kadett has to go through an annual one where a 1980 car has to do no NCT. Thats bol*&x in my opinion.

New car = No NCT
    1990 Car = Every year
    1980 Car = NONE [/QUOTE]

A 1980 car must do an NCT, 31/12/79 & older get away with it only...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

well you know what you should do ... buy a new car, or buy an older car pre 80 ... that's the government we voted in with their poor man taxes ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Mispost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

notwithstanding being someone with three pre1980 cars , I think pre 1980 cars should have some sort of safety check, even if its only take it to the gards to check tyres, brakes lights and steering once a year. At least owners rust ridden heaps falling in half wouldnt be able to be use this as a loophiole to drive dangerous wrecks on the road.

(IM not home, so dont bring the lynching party round tonight)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'll say it for you Corky :pac:, you want an annual test like on the other side of the water (and the North). I'd be happy with that too.

(I'm not in either ,btw :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

corktina wrote: »
    notwithstanding being someone with three pre1980 cars , I think pre 1980 cars should have some sort of safety check, even if its only take it to the gards to check tyres, brakes lights and steering once a year. At least owners rust ridden heaps falling in half wouldnt be able to be use this as a loophiole to drive dangerous wrecks on the road.

Don't most insurance companies look for an engineers report on anything NCT exempt? It would be easier and cheaper to NCT the car if this is the case

not the one im with or the previous one anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

How many rust ridden heaps are there on the roads? how many caused any accidents? would a person seriously get into a rust wreck that would be so dangerous knowingly?

seems like this nct is only a money generating exercise.

does nobody remember the old days where you needed a mechanics report to get a car insured pre nct days?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

not the one im with or the previous one anyway.
    Same experience.

It's a generalisation I know, but people who drive cars 30+ old don't tend to be dangerous drivers. I've never heard a report of a death on the road caused by virtue of a car being dodgy by virtue of it's "classic" status, and given the transparency and willingness of the media to jump on a cause (story) I'm inclined to think that we're not (yet) a dangerous demographic.

• Advertisement

I have seen the odd one alright that were in a dangerous state. One (an A40 i think) with ferns growing from the wheelarches and another that springs to mind was a Mk2 capri with perished tyres and lots of rust. Both of these were at shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Dades wrote: »
    My NCT is due in November...

I know you can bring them in early but I suspect unless it's a first NCT three months is the most... (6 months for 1st NCT?)

I'm wondering if you have an NCT due before 1st Sept could you bring her in early - before 1st June - and get a two-year cert? Or would that be too obvious... :p

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

The 'mobile ashtray' is due it's test in June.

Wonder can I get it in a little earlier to get the 2 year cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 loftypad

The annual NCT for 10 year old cars is ongoing.It was first proposed by the FF/Green party government on Christmas eve,bad news burial,The policy was opposed by the FG party from the oposition benches as a further cost on hard pressed motorists....It is just another policy they opposed and happily maintain in govt.

year old thread matey...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 loftypad

Thanks T from Cork .I wasnt aware of that.
    Testing 10 year old cars annually was wrong a year ago and is still wrong.
    It is not the cause of or the solution to road safety issues.FG was strong on too much in opposition and soon changed their tune in power.
    50,000 fewer cars are on the road now than 1 year ago , screwing the motorist is not the way to solve safety and economic problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Please don't revive old threads - closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement