Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching yourself Applied Maths? Good or Bad?

• 19-01-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Was thinking of trying to teach myself applied maths. Im currently in fifth year but I heard the course is pretty short so hopefully i havent left it too late. Im doing HL Physics and Maths and i'm well over average in both. Im a complete logic head, they just make sense to me.

One particularly sound teacher showed us the demographs for the leaving subjects. ( i thionk thats what theyre called any way) and A1s are the most common result, followed by A2s then B1s then B2s and so forth. Now i dont want to go and say its "easy" but it is reassureing that honours are the most common result.

Has anyone any experience of self teaching? I have herd of people doing it before. Would it be advisable? I have five free classes a week I could use for study, and wouldnt mind another mathsy subject for points.

Any advice on what book to get etc. would be welcome too.

Thanks in Advance,
    Nicholas Naessens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm in sixth year now, and am teaching myself Applied Maths. I started at the start of fifth year and finished the course at the start of sixth year. The exam works so that there are ten questions, one on each topic, and you answer six of these. I studied 9 of the topics, I think most people do 8.

I would say go for it, and focus on getting as much done this year as you can. Especially considering you an extra five classes a week (Irish exemption?) to work with. There is a bit of overlap with Physics, once you do Linear Acceleration, Vectors, Forces, Circular Motion and SHM in Applied Maths you'll never really have a problem with it in Physics. The only real overlap with maths is the amount of extra practice you'll be getting at some aspects of the maths course, mainly trigonometry and algebra, but also calculus.

If you're going to start, might as well start as soon as you can. Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy is the only book on the market, although I hear they'll be updating it next september. The Institude of Education notes are also quite good if you can get your hands on them.

Taking up an 8th subject tends to be alot of work regardless of which subject it is, but although there is a good bit of work to be done, I actually enjoyed doing the applied maths course and didn't find it hard to just sit down and study it. And it also benefits your other subjects.

Well best of luck to you anyway, I hope that you find it as beneficial as I did. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

If you're going to start, might as well start as soon as you can. Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy is the only book on the market, although I hear they'll be updating it next september. The Institute of Education notes are also quite good if you can get your hands on them.

There's actually a new book out by 'Tir na nÓg' Publications. Don't know if you can get it in bookshops but I've a number for the publishers where I think it's possible or order them. If anyone wants it just send me a PM!

Advertisement