Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Rathcoole

• 19-01-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Will be moving to Rathcoole in a few weeks time and wondering if there are any locals looking in that could give some helpful advice on the vicinity. Anything to help really. We have done some research on what is available and its not a million miles away from my girlfriends home town so its not completely alien to us, we have had a few wanders around the town/village as well but any advice from locals would be great.

Recommended take-aways, pubs, grocers, butchers etc.

Anything, best methods of getting to the city centre (we are two commuters, one to harolds cross, one to the city centre, planning on driving at the moment but again any advice would be great)

Are the buses reliable?

Useful local facilities?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Morgans wrote: »
    Hi,

Will be moving to Rathcoole in a few weeks time and wondering if there are any locals looking in that could give some helpful advice on the vicinity. Anything to help really. We have done some research on what is available and its not a million miles away from my girlfriends home town so its not completely alien to us, we have had a few wanders around the town/village as well but any advice from locals would be great.

Recommended take-aways, pubs, grocers, butchers etc.

Anything, best methods of getting to the city centre (we are two commuters, one to harolds cross, one to the city centre, planning on driving at the moment but again any advice would be great)

Are the buses reliable?

Useful local facilities?

Many thanks in advance.

Living in Rathcoole meself about 5,6 years nice little village for what it is really.

The pubs are decent on a good night here you have Muldownys Rathcoole Inn An Poitin Stil and the Baurnafea House. I think your best to try them yourself as depending on what your into you will more then likely find it a different experience to me.

Theres 2 Chinese takeaways Golden Valley and Mandrain House the 2nd one personally i think is much better ive tried fair bit of both in last 6 years :P. My choice would be the Indian next to Mandrain house Pure if you like Indian food takeaway here is great and really good value.

You have two little shopping sections at both ends the village i worked in the Centra meself for year or so.

So anyway i dont wanna keep going on if you have any questions ask me here or pm me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Living in Rathcoole meself about 5,6 years nice little village for what it is really.

The pubs are decent on a good night here you have Muldownys Rathcoole Inn An Poitin Stil and the Baurnafea House. I think your best to try them yourself as depending on what your into you will more then likely find it a different experience to me.

Theres 2 Chinese takeaways Golden Valley and Mandrain House the 2nd one personally i think is much better ive tried fair bit of both in last 6 years :P. My choice would be the Indian next to Mandrain house Pure if you like Indian food takeaway here is great and really good value.

You have two little shopping sections at both ends the village i worked in the Centra meself for year or so.

So anyway i dont wanna keep going on if you have any questions ask me here or pm me :-)

Thanks a million for all this angerfist2009. Good info. Found out that dualway seem to do a decent commuter service from Rathcoole as well, so that might be an option ahead of Dublin Bus or driving to the Luas. Thanks for the help.

Morgans wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all this angerfist2009. Good info. Found out that dualway seem to do a decent commuter service from Rathcoole as well, so that might be an option ahead of Dublin Bus or driving to the Luas. Thanks for the help.

If your looking for any more honest info on things around here just ask its a small village you find out alot after awhile lol i had family grow up here as well so i tend to get the in s and out s lol :P

Dualway are decent enough for heading to Tallaght and Citywest there service has been cut slightly though during the day.

Dublin bus are actually trying to cut the 68 69 service from Rathcoole there is war going on at the moment over it. There trying to make it so the bus will not directly travel to town and you will need to get off get another bus or the luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I grew up in Rathcoole, but left about 7 or 8 years ago. Used to get this bus into town when I lived there - http://silverdawntravel.com/Timetable.htm . Don't think traffic is as bad now as when I commuted into town. They run a great service though - used to stop on the Dual Carriageway, just where the pedestrian crossing is.

O'Connell's bus used to stop there too, which I sometimes got (can't see an official site for them) http://www.newbshopper.utvinternet.com/bustrains.html#O%20CONNELLS

Couldn't tell ya if either still stop at Rathcoole. Back then the Dualway bus wasn't running & neither was the Luas, so more options now, esp. when the luas runs from Citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

Just wondering from all the locals, What would you love Rathcoole to have that it currently doesn't. thinking in terms of amenities etc. etc.

• Advertisement

observer2u wrote: »
    Just wondering from all the locals, What would you love Rathcoole to have that it currently doesn't. thinking in terms of amenities etc. etc.

Better bus service. One Dublin bus route that is every hour or so and a local bus that stops around six can be a right pain in the arse. Just wait and see how hard it is to get out of here when it snows again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Any updates? Are the buses still crap? Any Supermarkets as opposed to Centras?

zipzoc wrote: »
    Any updates? Are the buses still crap? Any Supermarkets as opposed to Centras?

Actually worse now :pac:

The Dualway bus only runs two to three times a day Monday to Friday.
    Dublin bus is the same and the Luas down in Saggart is handy enough when you get there.

Tesco has gotten a bit better and few other shops around village do the job as well. Have a big enough Dunnes in Saggart village to and a really good one in Citywest shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Premier!

Hey, so this is a really old thread obviously but wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts. My wife and I are considering buying a house in rathcoole. Much nicer house than any we've seen in other areas, our only concern is the commute to work. we would both be going to stephen's green. has anyone any experience of living in rathcoole and getting the luas? Do you drive to saggart and park somewhere? drive to cheeverstown and park in the car park? drive to citywest shopping centre and park there (can you do this)? What is traffic like in the mornings between rathcoole and any of these places?

Any help appreciated!

Premier! wrote: »
    Hey, so this is a really old thread obviously but wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts. My wife and I are considering buying a house in rathcoole. Much nicer house than any we've seen in other areas, our only concern is the commute to work. we would both be going to stephen's green. has anyone any experience of living in rathcoole and getting the luas? Do you drive to saggart and park somewhere? drive to cheeverstown and park in the car park? drive to citywest shopping centre and park there (can you do this)? What is traffic like in the mornings between rathcoole and any of these places?

Any help appreciated!

As far as I know you can park and ride in citywest shopping centre or cheeverstown. You would have to double check citywest I'm not hundred percent sure! I know of people doing it but if it's been done legit ha. Traffic can be messy leaving Rathcoole when schools are on before everyone is settled. Always can be issues at lunch time. You get a lot of trucks machinary etc going threw out day.

When I first moved to Rathcoole ten or so years ago the luas hadn't even started in Saggart so it was the 69 or the odd Dualway bus.

I live in citywest now and get the luas in and out of work everyday and find when everything Is how it should be it's a fairly quick journey. Obviously as your going to Stephens green your gonna have to get off at a certain point and walk across.

• Advertisement
Advertisement